Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jeep® Will Only Make Grand Cherokee Trailhawk In 4xe Form For 2023!

Jeep® Will Only Make Grand Cherokee Trailhawk In 4xe Form For 2023!​

No More Pentastar Or HEMI Power For The Trailhawk...​

1657094839968.png

Jeep® has officially announced for the 2023 model year, that its popular off-road-oriented Grand Cherokee Trailhawk model will only be available as a plug-in hybrid (PHEV) 4xe from this point on. The bold move marks an end to the Pentastar V6 and HEMI V8 power in the popular off-roader.

gdwinco

Reaction score
Wow!! Great move killing off the most off-road capable variant of the Grand Cherokee. I need something that can do some off-road exploration, can tow 4500 lbs and doesn’t ride like a conestoga wagon. Looks like my next vehicle won’t be a jeep.

patfromigh

Reaction score
Wow!! Great move killing off the most off-road capable variant of the Grand Cherokee. I need something that can do some off-road exploration, can tow 4500 lbs and doesn’t ride like a conestoga wagon. Looks like my next vehicle won’t be a jeep.
You have basically described this: X GON' GIVE IT TO YA: 2022 Jeep® Cherokee X Arrives At Dealers!

If the X doesn't have enough off-road chops for you, Jeep still offers the Trail Hawk Trim on the smaller Cherokee. A trailer towing package must be optioned to meet those requirements. The Grand Cherokee 4Xe when equipped with the the trailer towing package easily meets this as well.

TripleT

Reaction score
Anyone else confuse by 0 for 1 post that doesn't understand that the drivetrain in question has a 6000lb tow rating, That all Grand Cherokees are more off road capable than about anything outside the 4 runner and Bronco. That the Gladiator can handle nearly double the request, That the only thing keeping the Wrangler from meeting this is that it is sprung to climb like a mountain goat. Jeep has no trouble selling it products good luck elsewhere.

UN4GTBL

Reaction score
Anyone else confuse by 0 for 1 post that doesn't understand that the drivetrain in question has a 6000lb tow rating, That all Grand Cherokees are more off road capable than about anything outside the 4 runner and Bronco. That the Gladiator can handle nearly double the request, That the only thing keeping the Wrangler from meeting this is that it is sprung to climb like a mountain goat. Jeep has no trouble selling it products good luck elsewhere.

Yeah, I'm disappointed in this decision, but that is mainly because of the price difference between the gas Trailhawk and the 4xe Trailhawk. Its still a good vehicle, and the "Jeep" specs are still there, and in some ways superior to a regular gas version.

Maybe this will just make it easier to find a good used Trailhawk 4xe in a few years when I'm ready to part with my KL? :unsure:

xUSCxNINJAx

Reaction score
What bothers me is not the specs of the 4xE models. It's that you can't buy a Trailhawk or Overland with Offroad Group WITHOUT going to the PHEV 4xE models. Yes if you didnt' notice you can't order a WL Grand Cherokee in 2023 with the Quadra-Drive 2 four-wheel drive system. If you want a ICE only model you are only able to order a WL Grand Cherokee with 4x2 and the only two 4x4 systems are Quadra-Trac 1 and Quadra-Trac 2. You can not order a 2023 Grand Cherokee with the 3.6 V6 or 5.7 V8 AND have an engine skidplate, transfercase/transmission skidplate, fueltank skidplate, thicker axles, limited slip rear-end, all-terrain tires, 18 inch wheels. If you want maximum offroad capability in a 2023 WL Grand Cherokee you are forced to order it as a PHEV 4xE model.

TripleT

Reaction score
patience powertrain is in transition to the GME models.... 3.6 and 5.7 are only transitional powertrains.... Though pure ICE days may be numbered. Lead acid system is on the clock.... no reason to drag that ancient system around. it is heavy and fragile.

cygnus

Reaction score
What bothers me is not the specs of the 4xE models. It's that you can't buy a Trailhawk or Overland with Offroad Group WITHOUT going to the PHEV 4xE models. Yes if you didnt' notice you can't order a WL Grand Cherokee in 2023 with the Quadra-Drive 2 four-wheel drive system. If you want a ICE only model you are only able to order a WL Grand Cherokee with 4x2 and the only two 4x4 systems are Quadra-Trac 1 and Quadra-Trac 2. You can not order a 2023 Grand Cherokee with the 3.6 V6 or 5.7 V8 AND have an engine skidplate, transfercase/transmission skidplate, fueltank skidplate, thicker axles, limited slip rear-end, all-terrain tires, 18 inch wheels. If you want maximum offroad capability in a 2023 WL Grand Cherokee you are forced to order it as a PHEV 4xE model.

This is why I'm hoping sales trend downward. It is arrogance on STLA's part. There is no reason for this. The headcount at CTC has never been higher - don't tell me you're constrained by internal resources, that's BS.

nickd

Reaction score
I knew this would happen when Jeep lost control to the Fiat and Peugeot groups. What a completely ridiculous move. I bought my 2021 GC Trailhawk knowing full well it would probably be the last of the good GC's. These guys ae positioning the GC to be a range rover competitor. Very upscale, limited capacity for towing and offroad. You can see it happening....

The 2 row is now regulated to nothing more than a grocery getter. No offroad options, no quadra-drive, limited towing. The 3 row is limited to as you get no offroad skid plates and basic towing and its the only model with a hemi. Having driven the new WL models, i see a softened suspension and Range Rover written all over it....

As for the 4XE, to me its worthless. once the battery is depleted, the 2.0L is enemic for such a big vehicle. Peak TQ at almost 3000 rpm is not great for such a heavy vehicle. You can forget about towing anything substantial either. Its fine for getting groceries and competing with range rovers at the soccer fields. for almost $15K more than my 2021...no thanks...

Been in a jeep since 2003. If this continues, my 2021 will be my last.

cygnus

Reaction score
Yep, I will be buying a used (pre-Covid) 2019 Grand Cherokee Limited or Overland for my fiancee next year. That was the last good vintage.

I will not buy a new product from this company. I'm not here to make Stellantis rich. I'm here to get a good vehicle, with my specifications (RWD midsize SUV - so either GC or Ford Explorer), at a fair price.

by the way - the EV buyer order book is collapsing for other OEMs, if you know where to look. I have been saying this for two years now and the data is trending toward validating what I've said. The last one standing is how much runway does the F150 Lightning order book have. My bet is maybe 4 to 6 quarters. What is the overlap between those buyers and Ram 1500 EV buyers? Very high. How many unique Ram 1500 buyers will there be by the time the F150 Lightning book has 4 to 6 quarters to churn through, the Silverado/Sierra EV launches and covers a quarter or two before the Ram 1500 EV is out? Very few.

The Ram 1500 EV could be very much DOA with respect to a potential order book. Watch.

To be fair, Stellantis is much less exposed than GM/Ford if EVs plateau at ~20%. The EV projects for Stellantis can be cancelled quicker. What is the marginal cost to keep the $3750 with increasing source material requirements and what is the cost to get the full $7500 and sourcing ~70% of the BoM from countries with a free trade agreement with the US? hint - the OEMs are modeling this now, and it's not worth it.

This should all become clear sometime in 2024 or 2025...after the 2024 elections, of course ;)

Last edited:

TripleT

Reaction score
I knew this would happen when Jeep lost control to the Fiat and Peugeot groups. What a completely ridiculous move. I bought my 2021 GC Trailhawk knowing full well it would probably be the last of the good GC's. These guys ae positioning the GC to be a range rover competitor. Very upscale, limited capacity for towing and offroad. You can see it happening....

The 2 row is now regulated to nothing more than a grocery getter. No offroad options, no quadra-drive, limited towing. The 3 row is limited to as you get no offroad skid plates and basic towing and its the only model with a hemi. Having driven the new WL models, i see a softened suspension and Range Rover written all over it....

As for the 4XE, to me its worthless. once the battery is depleted, the 2.0L is enemic for such a big vehicle. Peak TQ at almost 3000 rpm is not great for such a heavy vehicle. You can forget about towing anything substantial either. Its fine for getting groceries and competing with range rovers at the soccer fields. for almost $15K more than my 2021...no thanks...

Been in a jeep since 2003. If this continues, my 2021 will be my last.
Nonsense

Welcome, you join just complain that there is new model to replace the ancient Daimler architecture?
If you need to be caught up, Daimler almost killed the company, and had it not been for Fiat (Who has done more to grow the group than any owner) saved it from being sold by the Jack wagons in New York to the Chinese.

The Old heavy, lower ground clearance, and less articulation WK2 is not better, The 4Xe has proven itself on the ultimate off-road vehicle. Lots of options are limited at the time due to chip shortage, taller springs are all that is needed given the increased articulation, WK2 is on it tippy toes when at the top of its suspension settings.

In case you're not paying attention. the Hemi is being regulated out of existence but is being replaced by more efficient and more potent powertrains. The Hurrican4 by itself is better the Pentastar, the 4xE is more than adequate replacement for the Eagle, the Hurricane6 SD is much better and a huge upgrade, if the HD makes to the model it puts to shame my much loved Apache.

We have already seen that the Hurrican in 6000lb brick is good for a second 0-60 and in the quarter. Great things to come but if you're going to go, go enjoy your future Explorer... have fun at the Ford Forum.

Last edited:

cygnus

Reaction score
If the 2L was better than the Pentastar, the KL flame out wouldn’t have been as bad as it was, all other KL issues nonwithstanding.

The 2L take rate in the Wrangler is extremely low.

A vast majority amount of Grand Cherokee and Ram buyers want a RWD based V6 (Grand Cherokee) or V8 engine (Ram) at a decent price. This isn’t rocket science.

Nobody is forced to do anything as long as it meets emissions. You can build the cost of missing fleet target MPG into the offering and baking it into the price.

4xE models are irrelevant until they are paired with at least the I6. Then you’ll see what the real take rate is amongst the core base for a PHEV offering.

Revenue minus costs for shared 2L powertrain engineering powertrain between JL/JT/WL74 + packaging customization engineering is negligible. Those 4xE models paid their way, but they don’t meaningfully contribute to profits. They help with meeting fleet targets so go ahead and say it yields $3-4K of profit for STLA.

ICE - Profitable, but fleet targets will compress this
PHEV - break even
BEV - infinite black hole of losses/money pit.

It’s just kind of amazing to me that someone can follow this company for as long as they have and miss so badly on the consumer preferences amongst existing owners. People want the V6 (minimum) or a V8 truck at a decent price, in an attractively styled vehicle. Everything else is negotiable/a matter of price. If consumers were so concerned over energy prices (they aren’t), we wouldn’t have seen the huge take rate for trucks/SUVs as much as we did post recession. But the opposite is true. People want V6s and V8s in their vehicles.

The EV experiment is already running out of steam and the incentives won’t save it. The OEMs and dealers are essentially pocketing the incentives themselves with higher prices. Something has to give - people are walking away from EVs due to the price.

Ignore this at your own peril.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread