Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jeep® Unveils It’s Updated Compass For 2022, In Chicago!

Jeep® Unveils It’s Updated Compass For 2022, In Chicago!​

Updated Exterior, Refined Interior, More Technology, Same Lame Powertrain...​

1626268665219.png

The Jeep® brand has pulled the covers off of its highly-anticipated 2022 Jeep Compass lineup at the Chicago Auto Show, this morning. While the debut isn’t a huge announcement as the 2022 update has been shown throughout the globe over the past year, it is the first time we are getting to see the updates for the North American model.

SixspeedAB

Reaction score
Very disappointed with no powertrain changes. The 1.3T would've complemented the more upscale and refined feel of the refreshed cabin but apparently, they're too cheap to make that change. As a dealer, many times we have clients interested in the Compass but often purchase something else because of the 2.4, whether it be from refinement issues or oil consumption concerns - Just a bad motor.

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I would absolutely not be interested in any of these changes if they are paired with the 2.4L. In fact, the only change that was actually *necessary* was to the powertrain.

bill burke

Reaction score
If the exterior and interior are identical to the Indian and Brazilian Compass, then who did this refresh? If it has been outsourced, then good job, the results are quite good. Smart to take advantage of this global Jeep talent while reducing development costs here. However, I agree, the lack of power train changes bewilders me. One negative that stood out in the past and not addressed. Why?
Jeep, it would seem, is taking a “global approach” to Jeep development in some segments and has chosen wisely. One last concern, where does this leave Cherokee? More than ever a RWD/AWD new platform and a fresh sheet of paper is an absolute necessity, especially with Grand Cherokee growing and clearly surrendering most of its global market potential, especially in Europe. A down sized Grand Cherokee spin off, new Cherokee replacement makes not only sense, but is a survival decision for Cherokee in every market. Cherokee, for now, is in limbo.It logically can be a mid-size game changer for Jeep or like the power train decision for Compass, simply a head scratching miscalculation if left as now configured.

Last edited:

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
If the exterior and interior are identical to the Indian and Brazilian Compass, then who did this refresh? If it has been outsourced, then good job, the results are quite good. Smart to take advantage of this global Jeep talent while reducing development costs here. However, I agree, the lack of power train changes bewilders me. One negative that stood out in the past and not addressed. Why?
Jeep, it would seem, is taking a “global approach” to Jeep development is some segments and has chosen wisely. One last concern, where does this leave Cherokee? More than ever a RWD/AWD new platform and a fresh sheet of paper is an absolute necessity, especially with Grand Cherokee growing and clearly surrendering most of its global market potential, especially in Europe. A down sized Grand Cherokee spin off, new Cherokee replacement makes not only sense, but is a survival decision for Cherokee in every market. Cherokee, for now, is in limbo.It logically can be a mid-size game changer for Jeep or like the power train decision for Compass, simply a head scratching miscalculation if left as now configured.

The Compass update was done in-house in Auburn Hills.

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Jeep, it would seem, is taking a “global approach” to Jeep development is some segments and has chosen wisely. One last concern, where does this leave Cherokee? More than ever a RWD/AWD new platform and a fresh sheet of paper is an absolute necessity, especially with Grand Cherokee growing and clearly surrendering most of its global market potential, especially in Europe. A down sized Grand Cherokee spin off, new Cherokee replacement makes not only sense, but is a survival decision for Cherokee in every market. Cherokee, for now, is in limbo.It logically can be a mid-size game changer for Jeep or like the power train decision for Compass, simply a head scratching miscalculation if left as now configured.
Agree regarding the Cherokee. The Compass has made it obsolete in most ways - better styling, better interior, more tech features, but worse powertrain. The Cherokee will need to move to a RWD platform and emphasize off-road capability to truly stand out. Or maybe this can be the new Cherokee?

Screen Shot 2021-07-08 at 11.08.18 AM.png

ScramFan

Reaction score
Europe will soon get new 1.5 turbo while at the same time US didn't get 1.3 turbo. I don't understand it.
My wild guess is that they're not set up to produce that engine locally, and are not willing to import them.

If that's the case, then they may be looking to buy time with the same drivetrains until they decide what to do with that assembly plant.

Would they perhaps update it to build STLA Medium? Or would they consider building an STLA Small plant in NA? If so, that plant would seem to be the best fit for it.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
Agree regarding the Cherokee. The Compass has made it obsolete in most ways - better styling, better interior, more tech features, but worse powertrain. The Cherokee will need to move to a RWD platform and emphasize off-road capability to truly stand out. Or maybe this can be the new Cherokee?

View attachment 4889

I think this vehicle would be more scaled at taking on the GMC Hummer EV.

1626271854917.png

UN4GTBL

Reaction score

View attachment 4889

That would be fantastic, but I doubt it.

UN4GTBL

Reaction score
Again, I really like this refreshed Compass, except for the powertrain.

Any idea when the 4Xe models will come to North America?

Would love to replace our Prius with a Compass 4Xe...

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
So this was designed in Auburn Hills, but Auburn Hills didn't think they should've updated the engine? This is a truly baffling decision.
It seems they don't want the Compass to step on the Cherokee's toes.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score

View attachment 4889

I think this vehicle would be more scaled at taking on the GMC Hummer EV.
Again, I really like this refreshed Compass, except for the powertrain.

Any idea when the 4Xe models will come to North America?

Would love to replace our Prius with a Compass 4Xe...

According to my sources there was talk about them coming in 2023. However, we might see an all-new Compass in 2025. With Melfi being the only plant to built the PHEV Compass and getting new vehicles as soon as 2024, we might see a PHEV for the Compass till the next generation here in North America.

1626274947724.png

1626274968390.png

1626275011253.png

cygnus

Reaction score

*Edit, I thought that was Wagoneer, but I Wagoneer roofline doesn't end like that/there is no variant with a tire on the back. Not sure what that is or if it's just artistic liberties/inaccurately drawn Wagoneer.

Last edited:

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
*Edit, I thought that was Wagoneer, but I Wagoneer roofline doesn't end like that/there is no variant with a tire on the back. Not sure what that is or if it's just artistic liberties/inaccurately drawn Wagoneer.
Maybe you're right about artistic "Liberties." ;)

The Liberty was the last Jeep aside from the Wrangler to have a rear-mounted spare tire.

bill burke

Reaction score
So this was designed in Auburn Hills, but Auburn Hills didn't think they should've updated the engine? This is a truly baffling decision.
It seems they don't want the Compass to step on the Cherokee's toes.
One reason I chose my Cherokee is V-6 power, not offered in Compass, thus a toe steping avoidance. Best toe saver, build a down sized RWD based Cherokee on the Grand Cherokee assembly line. I see a “Save the Toes” movement in its formative stage right here.

patfromigh

Reaction score
Maybe the power train updates are waiting for the US built GME motors to come online.

I can't find anything on whether or not the GSE 1.5 will be built here. Kokomo will be building the larger engine.

Users who are viewing this thread