Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jeep® Official Reveals Its New "Commander" Name For 7-Passenger D-SUV:

Jeep® Official Reveals Its New “Commander” Name For 7-Passenger D-SUV:​

Vehicle Will Be Sold Outside Of North America...​

1622496941939.png

Last month, the Jeep® brand released a teaser for its new D-segment SUV which the brand expects to launch in certain markets around the globe. Based on a stretched version of the Small-Wide 4x4 architecture that underpins vehicles like the Jeep Compass and Fiat Toro, Jeep teased the name of the new vehicle in a short 19-second video.

Last edited by a moderator:

bill burke

Reaction score
Can anyone, someone, give me the reason this Jeep can not be spun-off as a Chrysler in North America and built along side the Cherokee. This Commander is a compliment to Brazil and frankly, a blow to our North American management leadership for avoiding the obvious. Frankly, this whole thing annoys the heck out of me. Unless Jeep has big plans for Cherokee or Chrysler for anything with four wheels, anyone, someone, give me the answers I seek that perhaps escape this confused senior.

AlexB

Reaction score
Can anyone, someone, give me the reason this Jeep can not be spun-off as a Chrysler in North America and built along side the Cherokee. This Commander is a compliment to Brazil and frankly, a blow to our North American management leadership for avoiding the obvious. Frankly, this whole thing annoys the heck out of me. Unless Jeep has big plans for Cherokee or Chrysler for anything with four wheels, anyone, someone, give me the answers I seek that perhaps escape this confused senior.
A “blow “…
Over dramatic much?
The management is the same in Latin America and North America, in fact the former Head of Jeep: Manley

This the 3-row Compass has been planned for the longest for International, especially developing nations.

cygnus

Reaction score
Does this Commander being referenced = 2022 Chinese Grand Commander for South America/Europe?

bill burke

Reaction score
A “blow “…
Over dramatic much?
The management is the same in Latin America and North America, in fact the former Head of Jeep: Manley

This the 3-row Compass has been planned for the longest for International, especially developing nations.
Call it a missed opportunity, or a blow to ones confidence in management planning, but by not including a Chrysler spin-off in these long held plans and not adopting quickly some of the paid for updates on these Brazilian Jeeps should not be called over dramatic, but for argument sake perhaps constructive criticism. I appreciate your efforts to shed light on my questions, but I am pressed to offer another question, does this reflect wise global thinking or good business planning to you?

patfromigh

Reaction score
This Commander is based on the SUSW platform as it states in the beginning of the article. The Chinese Grand Commander is based on the CUSW platform. The current Jeep Cherokee, the discontinued Dodge Dart and Chrysler 200 are also based on the CUSW platform. Supposedly the Chrysler Pacifica is on the CUSW platform as well.

The article points out that also the Jeep Compass , Renegade, and Fiat Toro also share the SUSW platform with this new Latin American American sourced Commander. What frustrates me the most is the Fiat Fastback concept is also SUSW based. That would be an excellent Chrysler branded model if given the right styling details for family identity.

The assembly plant in Toluca, MX has lost the Fiat 500 and Dodge Journey. The only product left there is the Jeep Compass, which now is being built in Italy and will no longer be exported to there from Toluca, leaving even more capacity unused in that facility.

Rdodgedartman

Reaction score
The more things change the more they stay the same. It amazes me that Hyundai and Kia can constantly update or come out with models every year. FCA (Stellantis) can only do one model at a time and take years to do it. There refreshes don't look like they changed much. Tired of their old styling it is a new decade. Time to turn the designers loose or get new ones. Hopefully Stellantis will pick up the pace and for God's sake give us a new CHRYSLER product.

AlexB

Reaction score
The more things change the more they stay the same. It amazes me that Hyundai and Kia can constantly update or come out with models every year. FCA (Stellantis) can only do one model at a time and take years to do it. There refreshes don't look like they changed much. Tired of their old styling it is a new decade. Time to turn the designers loose or get new ones. Hopefully Stellantis will pick up the pace and for God's sake give us a new CHRYSLER product.

Hyundai & KIA make less money in North America than the most most profitable manufacturers in North America: Stellantis and GM.
You’re totally incorrect about updates… the updates & refreshes as well special packages that Stellantis does gives more life to models than other manufacturers.

As far as “The more things change the more they stay the same”….”get new ones” regarding design …John Elkann is still the largest investor through EXOR as well the Executive Chairman & Board Chairman ,Richard Palmer is still the Chief Financial Officer, North and South America reports & ran by Manley, Ralph head of North and South American Design operations & Brands designs North and South America,etc,etc.

What do you expect with John Elkann around? This goes to @bill burke discussing “confidence in management”

Rdodgedartman

Reaction score
Hyundai & KIA make less money in North America than the most most profitable manufacturers in North America: Stellantis and GM.
You’re totally incorrect about updates… the updates & refreshes as well special packages that Stellantis does gives more life to models than other manufacturers.

As far as “The more things change the more they stay the same”….”get new ones” regarding design …John Elkann is still the largest investor through EXOR as well the Executive Chairman & Board Chairman ,Richard Palmer is still the Chief Financial Officer, North and South America reports & ran by Manley, Ralph head of North and South American Design operations & Brands designs North and South America,etc,etc.

What do you expect with John Elkann around? This goes to @bill burke discussing “confidence in management”
Special packages are same old same old. Auto companies have been this for decades to save money on doing new models and as I said the refreshes aren't that great. Where is that electric car that they displayed at CES show a few years ago?

bill burke

Reaction score
This Commander is based on the SUSW platform as it states in the beginning of the article. The Chinese Grand Commander is based on the CUSW platform. The current Jeep Cherokee, the discontinued Dodge Dart and Chrysler 200 are also based on the CUSW platform. Supposedly the Chrysler Pacifica is on the CUSW platform as well.

The article points out that also the Jeep Compass , Renegade, and Fiat Toro also share the SUSW platform with this new Latin American American sourced Commander. What frustrates me the most is the Fiat Fastback concept is also SUSW based. That would be an excellent Chrysler branded model if given the right styling details for family identity.

The assembly plant in Toluca, MX has lost the Fiat 500 and Dodge Journey. The only product left there is the Jeep Compass, which now is being built in Italy and will no longer be exported to there from Toluca, leaving even more capacity unused in that facility.
You get it. I did confuse the Compass and Cherokee, sorry, but the fundamental thinking is sound. I get it, the global markets, outside North America are different, large, expensive Jeeps like the three row Grand Cherokee have a small market outside NA, these three row compact Jeeps better fill that market. But the research and development that went into these global Jeeps can and in a sound business case, should be used to create our own niche for a non-Jeep vehicle. The obvious application is Chrysler. With excess manufacturing capacity on Toluca assembly line, a spin-off Chrysler is truly too obvious to ignore. Unless, sadly, there is something else afoot. As I said, I’m confused or pretty ingenious, your choice.

cygnus

Reaction score
"I get it, the global markets, outside North America are different, large, expensive Jeeps like the three row Grand Cherokee have a small market outside NA, these three row compact Jeeps better fill that market."

Stellantis would rather skip a market segment (bringing the D size seven passenger SUV to North America) than cannibalize higher margins with the seven passenger Grand Cherokee L & Durango.

TripleT

Reaction score
Comparing the Appliances that come in a box from Korea to the Domestically made cars from our favorite manufacturer is pretty funny but I give some slack since someone is new here and appears to have come here to make redundant complaints about very complex decisions around margin, capacity, market ability, and Supply chains. And lets not get to far ahead on the Electric Vehicles...... the market isn't ready yet ..... PHEVs are on the way.

As for Chryslers replacement for the Journey..... One has to wonder why this hasn't happened since is was completely developed and ready for implementation in the one facility they have capacity. If pretty clear, they can't assemble here and make the margins to even justify the implementation investment. To low volume and to low margins. Pretty Sad... but that is on consumers that rather everything have seven slots to purchase. Chrysler has two options re-invent itself as the techno-exclusive brand in NA or import (like Buick) from a lower cost region.

Now if one really misses that days of barely surviving company making appliances at low margin and great deal, they have abandoned that to the Koreans and their former Japanese partner. If one really want a designer knock off purse of a car.... they will take your money however small it is to the bottom line.

As for the D sized SUSW vehicle, it better left to markets where the only thing mentioned won't be how small and useless the 3rd row is and poor the breakover angle is for a Jeep.

patfromigh

Reaction score
Here is a link to the Mopar Insiders article on the Fiat Fastback Concept.

Keep in mind it is concert so the styling is tends to be on the edge. This was shown in 2018, well before the introduction of the front drive PHEV technology now offered in Europe for the Renegade and Compass Jeep models.

I think a combination of of this concept with a PHEV powertrain would be a great addition to the Chrysler brand.

Speaking of electrification, I wonder what the payload capacity of the Pacifica PHEV is. Because the new Hummer EV has a GVW well over 10,000 pounds and only has the payload capacity of around 1,500 lbs. Batteries weigh a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread