Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SPOTTED: North American-Spec 2022 Jeep® Compass High Altitude:

SPOTTED: North American-Spec 2022 Jeep® Compass High Altitude:​

Premium Compass Shows Off Its Stylish Good Looks...​

2022-Jeep-Compass-High-Altitude-1.jpg

The Jeep® brand is already receiving praise from automotive publications and fans alike for its updated Compass for the 2022 model year. While the American brand has pulled the covers off of new C-segment SUV in the China, India, and the European markets, it has yet to release anything for the Americas. Our spy photographer … (read full article...)

Last edited by a moderator:

patfromigh

Reaction score
I used to think the introduction of the hybrid Compass 4Xe for the 2023 MY was too far away. With this chip shortage, now I wonder if it's too soon. I was planning to get something new in the fall, but now I'm looking at strategies to keep my Avenger going a little longer.

As far as the updates, I'm grateful the shift control stays the same. Some of the Compass competitors have some very odd controls.The new interior looks good and doesn't try to be fantasy spaceship. From what I've of the EMEA Compass and Renegade 4Xe system, I also have high expectations for our version.

bill burke

Reaction score
The Compass is improving and it has found the perfect niche as an affordable, attractive compact Jeep in the global marketplace. This is great. But it is not a good thing for the almost compact Jeep Cherokee which shares too much architecture and is demensionally too close, yet more expensive than its stable mate. As configured this current Cherokee is creating an overlap that puts it at a disadvantage. The Cherokee, with its available V6, and a well position target segment, clearly defined and realistic in the domestic mid-size market must abandon it global effort and focus exclusively on the North American segment. Instantly better positioned to compete with a far better vehicle aggressively again. The next generation Cherokee needs to distinguish itself, reflect more Jeep assets, it clearly must change. Downsizeing the RWD platform from the Grand Cherokee is the answer I continue to press. No more overlap, no more pricing issues, but one better mid-size RWD Jeep that makes for a good thing for Compass and for Cherokee.

Last edited:

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
IMO they should make the Cherokee a coupé-SUV like other brands are doing. The Grand Cherokee is the midsize, the Compass is the Compact, and the Cherokee could be a hybrid of sorts.

UN4GTBL

Reaction score
IMO they should make the Cherokee a coupé-SUV like other brands are doing. The Grand Cherokee is the midsize, the Compass is the Compact, and the Cherokee could be a hybrid of sorts.

No thank you. The Cherokee is already too coupe-ish in the rear. I agree with bill, Jeep needs to bring back Utility to it's SUVs in the form of square-ish rear designs.

UN4GTBL

Reaction score

SPOTTED: North American-Spec 2022 Jeep® Compass High Altitude:​

Premium Compass Shows Off Its Stylish Good Looks...​

View attachment 4250

The Jeep® brand is already receiving praise from automotive publications and fans alike for its updated Compass for the 2022 model year. While the American brand has pulled the covers off of new C-segment SUV in the China, India, and the European markets, it has yet to release anything for the Americas. Our spy photographer … (read full article...)

I like this a lot. But I also like silver/black vehicles, so that helps too.

The interior update is great as well.

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
No thank you. The Cherokee is already too coupe-ish in the rear. I agree with bill, Jeep needs to bring back Utility to it's SUVs in the form of square-ish rear designs.
You already have the Grande Cherokee and Wagoneer for that. But I understand your point. The most iconic Cherokee is square-ish. My idea was to further differentiate it from the Compass and the Grand Cherokee.
Right now the Cherokee is sandwiched between those two. If you make it bigger it will overlap the GC, with its current dimensions it overlaps the Compass. How do you solve that conundrum?

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
You already have the Grande Cherokee and Wagoneer for that. But I understand your point. The most iconic Cherokee is square-ish. My idea was to further differentiate it from the Compass and the Grand Cherokee.
Right now the Cherokee is sandwiched between those two. If you make it bigger it will overlap the GC, with its current dimensions it overlaps the Compass. How do you solve that conundrum?
We don’t know that it will overlap WL74, which if I remember correctly should be about 5” longer than WK2. Current Cherokee is 186” long, WL74 should be around 195”. It can grow a bit without overlapping. Actually, size wouldn’t need to change much. Just square it up.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
We don’t know that it will overlap WL74, which if I remember correctly should be about 5” longer than WK2. Current Cherokee is 186” long, WL74 should be around 195”. It can grow a bit without overlapping. Actually, size wouldn’t need to change much. Just square it up.

IMO Cherokee should grow as much as 4" (10 cm) in length but it should move to a different family of architecture. It must be B/Small Wide or Giorgio. In the first case packaging efficiency would be signifacntly improved. In the second case a lot could be shared with Grand Cherokee and off road capability could be improved over KL.

TripleT

Reaction score
Having spent time in both a KL and Compass... I don't get the overlap discussion. They drive and behave like to entirely different products because they are. Then the WK and soon WL also ..... each is a distinctive product from performance and driving dynamics. Now I understand that the Compass will improve, but so should the KM....

There is a reason why Ford Choose the Compass to compare the Bronco Sport instead of the Cherokee.

TripleT

Reaction score
IMO Cherokee should grow as much as 4" (10 cm) in length but it should move to a different family of architecture. It must be B/Small Wide or Giorgio. In the first case packaging efficiency would be signifacntly improved. In the second case a lot could be shared with Grand Cherokee and off road capability could be improved over KL.

Again it doesn't need to change carrier to apply lessons learned from the Giorgio project, and NO it should not be SUSW vehicle that would create a overlap and still not convinced that the Economy car feel can be completely eliminate.

Last edited:

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
The GC is Giorgio based, so maybe the Cherokee should share the same underpinnings?

TripleT

Reaction score
The GC is Giorgio based, so maybe the Cherokee should share the same underpinnings?
Well it not 1990 and it not PSA.... Yet. They don't have to change the build window or the engine layout (although I wish they would) or platform points to use the lesson and themes from Giorgio or WLs. It already most likely all done anyway.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
Well it not 1990 and it not PSA.... Yet. They don't have to change the build window or the engine layout (although I wish they would) or platform points to use the lesson and themes from Giorgio or WLs. It already most likely all done anyway.

Hmh.

But in any case it isn't a clean sheet design so if they are packaging constraints with one of the current generation platform they could be kept with the new product.

Users who are viewing this thread