Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Cherokee Nation Wants Jeep® To Get Rid Of Its Iconic Nameplate:

The Cherokee Nation Wants Jeep® To Get Rid Of Its Iconic Nameplate:​

Native American Tribe Tells Car and Driver It Wants Jeep To Stop...​

Jeep-Cherokee-3.jpg

In a recent article from Car and Driver magazine, the automobile magazine is reporting that the Cherokee Nation is asking the Jeep® to stop using the “Cherokee” nameplate across its lineup of award-winning sport utility vehicles (SUVs). It comes as the Jeep brand is getting ready to launch its all-new Grand Cherokee (WL) models, kicking … (read full article...)

Last edited by a moderator:

AlexB

Reaction score
I'm okay with getting rid of the Cherokee name.
Grand Cherokee can become ''Jeep Grand''
Heck even ''Grand Wrangler''.

Tony K

Reaction score
I'm okay with getting rid of the Cherokee name.
Grand Cherokee can become ''Jeep Grand''
Heck even ''Grand Wrangler''.
Neither of which makes sense. "Grand" WHAT? and It bears zero relationship to Wrangler.

RobG

Reaction score
I think the Indians need to STFU and be glad we didn't wipe their butts out, LIKE WE SHOULD HAVE. It's time for them to come into the 21st century and join us. Instead, they insist on continuing to live in abject poverty because it's "protecting their heritage" or somesuch. Puhleeze.

Let's hope that whoever is in charge at Jeep has the balls to reject this. GM would have already caved. Ford, I dunno. Jeep... let's hope they stand firm.

patfromigh

Reaction score
Look, my father attended an "Indian" school through the eight grade. Despite the abject poverty of the reservation community, he was able go transfer to a vocational school and then into an apprenticeship with a well respected (at that time) company. He served his country for four years in the US Army and after being discharged continued to work for our defense working under military and aerospace contracts, for that same employer which trained him during his apprenticeship. He wasn't a rocket scientist, he was an electrical designer who happened to report to real rocket scientists on a few NASA projects.

This binary thinking of us versus them, not seeing the other's humanity will bring down our nation, and by nation I mean the USA. Don't worry about others who are different, police your own community. I home schooled my children so I could pass on the Christian heritage of my family and church to the next generation. I work with people of many different backgrounds and faiths and even some non-theists. The one thing I see disappearing from our culture is the concept of grace. It is part of all the major religions and it involves the idea that no one is perfect, especially ones own self. We all need forgiveness and so we extend grace to others because we ourselves received it.

There is no place for that kind of disrespect in these forums. It is sad that Jeep is being singled out, but it is also understandable. Someone wants to erase history because a free nation needs a common collective memory.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
When I was growing up my local public schools were either named for past President or Native American tribes. I was a Little Chief in elementary school, a Brave in middle school, and a Big Red in high school. All through my years the schools were big on pride, we learned the heritage because of it and because of it more of us took interest in learning about the culture. No one ever disrespected the culture and my high school was made up of 65% white, 30% black and the rest of other cultures.

I think by doing this it takes away from their culture and people being exposed and learning about it.

I believe they are mad because someone is making money on then and it isn't the tribe.

bill burke

Reaction score
I doubt these objections reflect the vast majority of the Cherokee people. There are those who seek attention through controversy. I’d hope that Jeep can continue to use this significant name, but if not, there are lots of names, like Patriot or Renegade or Adventurer, that have resonated in the past that can work. What a sad situation over something that really honors the Cherokee tribe by emursing it in our shared culture through the deeply American rooted Jeep products, from my humble perspective.

UN4GTBL

Reaction score
I guess I'm just confused, if it was ok in the past, and they haven't specifically told Jeep that they have now changed their minds, besides as a comment to a car magazine, what do they expect to happen? I don't think that Jeep are mind readers, otherwise they would know how much I want the promised Off Road pages to be provided to my KL.

It's the Cherokee nation's name after all, but after so long, is it too late? Or is everyone so PC now that we will end up with a Jeep SUV, and Jeep Grand SUV in the future?

P51

Reaction score

The Cherokee Nation Wants Jeep® To Get Rid Of Its Iconic Nameplate:​

Native American Tribe Tells Car and Driver It Wants Jeep To Stop...​

View attachment 4039

In a recent article from Car and Driver magazine, the automobile magazine is reporting that the Cherokee Nation is asking the Jeep® to stop using the “Cherokee” nameplate across its lineup of award-winning sport utility vehicles (SUVs). It comes as the Jeep brand is getting ready to launch its all-new Grand Cherokee (WL) models, kicking … (read full article...)

TripleT

Reaction score
Honestly if it was just Jeep loyalists you could call it KM and WL. Jeep people usually refer to their trucks but code anyway.

bill burke

Reaction score
I doubt these objections reflect the vast majority of the Cherokee people. There are those who seek attention through controversy. I’d hope that Jeep can continue to use this significant name, but if not, there are lots of names, like Patriot or Renegade or Adventurer, that have resonated in the past that can work. What a sad situation over something that really honors the Cherokee tribe by emursing it in our shared culture through the deeply American rooted Jeep products, from my humble perspective.
Another thought, C-H-E-R-O-K-E-Y. New spelling, problem solved.

bill burke

Reaction score

bill burke

Reaction score
Another thought that is not directly related to this tribal issue. C-H-E-R-O-K-E-Y. Same pronunciation, different spelling, different word. Problem solved.

TripleT

Reaction score
it is a PR not legal they own the rights to it as applied to Automobiles and have for a long time.

AlexB

Reaction score
it is a PR not legal they own the rights to it as applied to Automobiles and have for a long time.
And beyond that Chrysler bankruptcy sale to ''New Chrysler(now Stellantis North America)'' voided any claim on all the trademarks.

Tony K

Reaction score
I think the Indians need to STFU and be glad we didn't wipe their butts out, LIKE WE SHOULD HAVE.
Absolutely INDEFENSIBLE to say this, let alone THINK it. [bolding emphasis is mine]

Last edited:

Jeeprt

Reaction score
People attacking the native americans in this thread should really be ashamed of themselves. That being said, I would not change the name. Enough of this cancel culture and taking offense to everything. My head is going to explode like a firestone tire!

Users who are viewing this thread