Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CAUGHT: 2022 Jeep® Grand Cherokee (WL) Sheds Some Camo:

CAUGHT: 2022 Jeep® Grand Cherokee (WL) Sheds Some Camo:​

Starting To See The Bodylines Of The Newest Grand Cherokee...​

2022-Jeep-Grand-Cherokee-4.jpg

There has been a lot of excitement surrounding the launch of the fifth-generation of the 2022 Jeep® Grand Cherokee (WL). The Jeep brand’s popular E-segment vehicle is getting suited up to have its biggest launch ever, with both a two-row and three-row variants, as well as electrified versions of both. Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) has placed a lot of focus on it one of its best-selling vehicles, even building a second assembly facility in Detroit, Michigan to produce more of the upcoming model.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike201

Reaction score
This looks good. I like the increase in size. Although I am a Dodge Boy, so my question that keeps getting blown off, where does this leave the “new” Durango? Will we get one on this platform or will we get a SUV based on the Ram 1500? If that is the case will it be a Dodge or Ram SUV? FCA or the new company needs to pull a GM move. Have two pick up lines.....move the classic Ram to Dodge and give Dodge a pick up back and leave the current new model as a Ram. See if putting a P/Up back in the Dodge line up increases sales even more. If GM can run 2 of the same pickups under different names we can run 2 different pick P/Ups under 2 different nameplates!

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
I like how it looks.

Proportions are finally in line with classic RWD look, i.e. cabin is pushed back.

bill burke

Reaction score
Significant is an understatement for the next generation Grand Cherokee for some obvious and some not so obvious reasons. First, the growth in size and seating configurations is a major change that better positions as well as improving the overall character and capacity of the GC to be more in line with competition in the near luxury class. One could actually argue this is a whole new GC in a whole new segment. Second, the new additional and reconfigured factories to build the GC is more than increased build capacity, it opens the door to new products spun off this architecture adopted from the Alfa Romeo platform. I predict the next generation Cherokee will be built off this platform in RWD configuration. Longer, wider and more capable off road, the next generation Cherokee will better mesh with tradition Jeep characteristics, offer shared drivetrain assets with GC and eliminate most of the drawbacks of the current Cherokee. It also creates for Cherokee a better space, a better definition if you may, in the Jeep portfolio for the Cherokee separating its current and less capable FWD character and size from the now overlapping FWD Compass and Renegade, a necessary move for all three vehicles, Additionally and less obvious, this allows the Cherokee to be built in the same assembly line as the GC and also points to a three row Chrysler SUV off the Cherokee platform. Even less obvious and my number three, this major new platform commitment also opens current Cherokee factory build capacity to new products for Dodge and Chrysler in the old factory, all utilizing this GC platform architecture for RWD vehicles for Jeep, Dodge and Chrysler. I'm predicting mid-size RWD/AWD sedans, hatchbacks and a possible performance coupe for Dodge and a convertible for Chrysler on this flexible assembly line. Let us not forget about the next generation Challenger, Charger and Chrysler 300, which quite logically will utilize a modified version of this platform, which is V-8, RWD and AWD capable. Can a large SUV for Chrysler be far off too?
Yes indeed, at first blush we see the new Grand Cherokee as a major development, but speculating and applying Mopar Willy thinking, we see far more just below the surface here. Oh the tea leaves ! It will be interesting to see how right or wrong Willy has gotten it, but it's just as much fun to dig deeper into a report so important.

bill burke

Reaction score
This looks good. I like the increase in size. Although I am a Dodge Boy, so my question that keeps getting blown off, where does this leave the “new” Durango? Will we get one on this platform or will we get a SUV based on the Ram 1500? If that is the case will it be a Dodge or Ram SUV? FCA or the new company needs to pull a GM move. Have two pick up lines.....move the classic Ram to Dodge and give Dodge a pick up back and leave the current new model as a Ram. See if putting a P/Up back in the Dodge line up increases sales even more. If GM can run 2 of the same pickups under different names we can run 2 different pick P/Ups under 2 different nameplates!
Hey, you seem to be going down the same rabbit hole as me on the Durango. Since after about a year the next generation Durango will be spun off the Jeep Wagoneer and built at Mack Avenue, I see it as a RAM not a Dodge anymore. This new SUV will clearly conflict with the Dodge performance image and be size and weight restrained in capability as a Dodge and conversely very comfortably fit right into the Ram portfolio in so many ways. This re branding frankly enhances the Ram truck brand, The new Durango WILL be a truck and Ram is the truck brand, ergo I see the Durango as a Ram. In addition, a Journey replacement is in deep development off the Stelvio/Grand Cherokee/ next generation Cherokee platform and it can utilize a powerful turbo V-6 from Alfa Romeo as currently used in the Stelvio, as well as a Hemi V-8 as will be offered in the Grand Cherokee application. Shazam just like pulling a rabbit out of a hat, an affordable performance crossover SUV does appear-- move over Porsche. Our rabbit hole may be deep and dark, but secrets it does hold. Welcome on my Wonderland adventure Mike.

TripleT

Reaction score
I've heard it is very nice from someone who drove it. Looks like the exterior will be Conservatively evolved, wise given it truly as completely new vehicle.

thatjerryguy

Reaction score
I predict the next generation Cherokee will be built off this platform in RWD configuration. Longer, wider and more capable off road, the next generation Cherokee will better mesh with tradition Jeep characteristics, offer shared drivetrain assets with GC and eliminate most of the drawbacks of the current Cherokee.

I hope you're right, because I agree. Aside from vastly improving the Cherokee's proportions (and thus looks), as well as everything else you pointed out, it would give Jeep a unique offering in the compact SUV segment. Leave the FWD/AWD models to Chrysler and Dodge.

Users who are viewing this thread