What's new
Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WATCH: Dodge’s New CEO Reveal The Charger Daytona

WATCH: Dodge’s New CEO Reveal The Charger Daytona​

Leading Dodge into an Electric Future with High-Performance Heritage...​

1723577423325.png

This past weekend, the automotive community gathered at the M1 Concourse in Pontiac, Michigan, for the highly anticipated Roadkill Nights event, where Dodge’s new CEO, Matt McAlear, took center stage to introduce the all-new, all-electric Dodge Charger Daytona. McAlear, who stepped into his role in June, succeeding Tim Kuniskis, brings a wealth of experience to the position. His deep connection with the brand spans over a decade, making him a familiar face to those who follow Dodge and its storied history.

Are they really going to launch these as 2024 models in fourth qtr 2024? As the rest of the world launches 2025s?

Are they really going to launch these as 2024 models in fourth qtr 2024? As the rest of the world launches 2025s?
24 were delayed fixing the hatch, and to not brick as often as much as nearly every other EV launch, especially GMs.

Coupes are 2024s as they are already started production. Sedan versions + Inline 6 are 2025s in

24 were delayed fixing the hatch, and to not brick as often as much as nearly every other EV launch, especially GMs.
Fine , stick a 2025 label on it and roll. To my point, you’ve been around this business your whole life - who launches a current year model at the end of a calendar year. ? They are saddling their dealers once again with unnecessary hills to climb. Just make them all 2025s.

I honestly don't see anything to complain about with this car. The thing is absolutely gorgeous. Once the Hurricane engines come out in this car, everything will be fine.
So it quicker, roomier, cheaper, AWD, more Cargo space ..... and Absolutely Gorgeous compared to the Hellcats. How did they get to such a horrible place.

I honestly don't see anything to complain about with this car. The thing is absolutely gorgeous. Once the Hurricane engines come out in this car, everything will be fine.

Everything except sales.

Or maybe they're not expecting to sell as much quantity anymore, an rely on profit per unit instead, which would explain the INSANE base pricing. You can buy a very nicely decked out Mustang GT Premium with 480 horses, 10 speeds, and all the toys for $55k and run 11s in the 1/4 mile while enjoying the sound. By contrast these first new Chargers START at $61k with destination charges, and don't even have an ICE? Yeah, Dodge is in serious trouble after the first 6 months of "honeymoon sales" are over with. I think their only hope is to release the Hurricane version next year at well below $50k. If they don't they're done.

Everything except sales.

Or maybe they're not expecting to sell as much quantity anymore, an rely on profit per unit instead, which would explain the INSANE base pricing. You can buy a very nicely decked out Mustang GT Premium with 480 horses, 10 speeds, and all the toys for $55k and run 11s in the 1/4 mile while enjoying the sound. By contrast these first new Chargers START at $61k with destination charges, and don't even have an ICE? Yeah, Dodge is in serious trouble after the first 6 months of "honeymoon sales" are over with. I think their only hope is to release the Hurricane version next year at well below $50k. If they don't they're done.
You get it outperforms the Hellcat? Compare the price to a Hellcat.

As for the Mustang, have you sat in a Mustang. Its not the same car, not at all. Mach E, at the similar performance version is $58K. AND NO I don't enjoy the sound of the Coyote, it is hideous for a V8... I way perfer the sound of the fake charger noise (I didn't think I would)I live in Ford town you can't throw a stick without hitting one. Charger is and will be a full sized car. Mustang has no usable rear seat, can't be driven in the winter, has no cargo space.. your apple and orange'ing this.

Yes, they aren't making Dixie cups, yes, they are wanting to make per unit pricing.

We don't know the GT version or base version of Electric or ICE.

I really hope they put the 4xE powertrain... but even a tuned Hurricane 4 will exceed the previous gen PentaStar.

The idea they would launch with the value and volume models is funny.

Happy to to learn Matt McAlear has a 'heritage' with the company and within the performance arena.
That being said, am still very worried Matt has an uphill battle convincing enough people to take the plunge with the EV versions. There are cheaper(not as good looking by any means) alternates out there. Yes, I know this car exuberates performance, BUT, some will want the performance and will be willing to pass on the looks to get their hands on a say $10k-$20k EV vehicle that performs on par or out-performs the Charger. Am speaking in terms of when past the 'honeymoon' is past and the Charger settles-in to its market.
The point being, with the current status and welfare of the company, can it afford to miss ANY EV sales?

Happy to to learn Matt McAlear has a 'heritage' with the company and within the performance arena.
That being said, am still very worried Matt has an uphill battle convincing enough people to take the plunge with the EV versions. There are cheaper(not as good looking by any means) alternates out there. Yes, I know this car exuberates performance, BUT, some will want the performance and will be willing to pass on the looks to get their hands on a say $10k-$20k EV vehicle that performs on par or out-performs the Charger. Am speaking in terms of when past the 'honeymoon' is past and the Charger settles-in to its market.
The point being, with the current status and welfare of the company, can it afford to miss ANY EV sales?
My guess is the ROI on the EV model is way below what people think. Based on the WagS my guess it's in 25K range and tooled as such.

What good is that the 4 door, 2 Door, and all Powertrain versions are basically the same car, which is a pretty good trick.

We have no idea where the base versions will land, I get we are impatient, I get that the merger put them a year behind. Everyone take a breath. Model Y is the best selling vehicle in world BTW... I get that we don't all like EV but we have 18 states that won't have a choice.... Take a breath.

I get that they are launching the halo models first, but it will be the more mundane models which will carry the brand. What many are overlooking is Stellantis is being aggressive on finding charging solutions.

Apartment dwellers and people livening under the boot of a homeowners association will have to think hard on an EV purchase.

I get that they are launching the halo models first, but it will be the more mundane models which will carry the brand. What many are overlooking is Stellantis is being aggressive on finding charging solutions.

Apartment dwellers and people livening under the boot of a homeowners association will have to think hard on an EV purchase.
And where are most of these high rises and HOA with limited charging? In the same urban rich, 18 Carb states with the punitive taxes and eventual bans on ICE.

Tell me they are "pushing" for the end of personal transport. I have seen it in China is can be done. But you have to choose to do it.

@WXman, I've mentioned before way back when I do think that these MAY be low volume niche sellers. But also, these first edition cars have stage kits on them so the price of the "regular" variants isn't going to be this high. The crazy thing is I think they have the potential to be a bigger seller than Ford's Mach E simply for the fun factor these cars may bring to the table. Let's move or typical traditionalisms out of the way for a moment and just think of the typical EVs out there. You have the Mach E, the Kia EV6, Tesla and now this. As much as some of us may not like it, EVs are a common thing on the road now and this car is going to be out there. I doubt it will sell as well as the six pack cars, but I strongly believe this car is going to sell. @TripleT, I do feel that some version of a hybrid 2.0L will come out sooner or later as a base Charger GT with the Gen-4 plug in hybrid 8-speed behind it, probably closing in on the 390hp mark with about 445lb-ft of torque, leaving enough room between it and the Six Pack S/O but still out performing the Ecoboost Mustang's 2.3L Turbo engine and it will probably still be AWD.

The big thing that will really push this car (both ICE and EV) is heavy support from Direct Connection. Stage Kits, tunes, bolt on turbo upgrades, blow of valves, intercoolers, exhaust systems, suspension upgrades, wheels, brakes, seats, steering wheels, hoods, spoiler, graphics, lights, etc. Bring back the Kicker stereo upgrade options and things like that. The upgrades need to be available for all trim levels (GT, Six Pack S/O, Six Pack H/O, Daytona R/T, Daytona Scat Pack, Banshee, etc.) Obviously the EV variants won't get all of the hard parts but these cars need to be customizable to the fullest! I think Dodge may still have a winner with this car. Here's hoping!

With all of this exciting stuff coming out, I still want to know one thing. What was that red car under that tarp that Tim Kuniskis was standing next to during that EV day presentation??? That was no Challenger and the vents are wrong for any current Charger, widebody or not. I'm wondering if that car is a variation of something to come, similar to how the ZL1 Camaro has a way more aggressive front end than a regular Camaro.

Kept forgetting to send this. Comment mix was a bit more positive when it was under 1k views yesterday until the other 15k found it. Fratzonic was played around with in different volume settings, and somewhat confirmed range without the eStage kits and certain options might be better. In my opinion the interview was better than the one with RacerX.

I don't know if it's great that he sounds a bit more comfortable in interviews than in conferences, even with the one he just did only being with the media and not waves of (many skeptical) fans. Hopefully he's more inspired with how he talks a good game later down the career.

Flex... Multi-Energy ..... PHEV is what I want most.

Sounds better than A Coyote or Vette V8,

Be interesting to see what the ICE tone lands.

Last edited:
That was actually a really good interview. It still weird for me to say this, but I like it. Dodge did a damn good job with this car.

You are just being biased, T.
NO we know what a good sound V8 sound like... and yes I am biased. But the 392 is likely to best sounding V8 ever built. The new Coyote sound horrible like two coyotes fighting in a bag. Infiniti i6 sounds better, it high and scratch, no not good, the only good sound engine is a V8 is BS if you consider it. Remember I in a Ford town they are EVERYWHERE. My buddies Shelby is ok but the supercharger drowns out some of the bad sound,

And the the Flat plane Vette sounds good? It sounds like a Farrari...... missing 4 cylinders. Missing 4 Cylinders.

I WAS VERY PESIMISTIC that the Exhaust would sound anything other than a Micheal Bay Transformer sound.... in the End it came out really well.

Back