Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next-Gen Dodge Durango Could Mirror Charger Powertrains

The Dodge Durango has been instrumental in the Dodge brand’s “Brotherhood of Muscle” mantra for over a decade. While the first two generations of Dodge Durangos were body-on-frame three-row SUVs, the third generation that debuted for the 2011 model year placed the Durango on a unibody architecture. Still offering HEMI® V8 power and three-row functionality, the third-gen Durango (WD) morphed from a capable family hauler to a performance machine in 2018 with the introduction of the long-awaited Durango SRT. Since then, Dodge has reworked and updated the Durango into more of a performance-oriented offering, thanks to Dodge Charger-inspired looks, a … (read full article...)

Future 2026 Dodge Durango Rendering. (MoparInsiders). - 1.jpeg

bill burke

Reaction score
Sure hope the actual next gen Durango looks pretty close to this rendering, it’s fantastic. I’m thinking Jeep, but if this is close and has a Hurricane, it could alter my thinking big time. This is a lean and mean Durango and I’m impressed. Great work on something impressive and frankly, on target for Dodge inspiration and hopefully execution. Love it.

patfromigh

Reaction score
The Ford Explorer gets redone for the 2025 model year. The drive train options are the same except now the hybrid is a fleet only option. Ford dropped the V8 awhile ago, even though the Explorer went back to being a rear-drive design.

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop with Dodge following the Hurricane inline six, which is the next generation 8-speed automatics. I love the Jeep 4Xe after tending the ones at work. I think the Durango would really benefit from such an option.

TripleT

Reaction score
The WL is Sooooooo nice compared to the WK2, just feel light on feet and nimble. 4xe feels like your driving a Hemi. Durango could really benefit from the update. really looking forward to the Hybrid transmission with the Hurricane 6

vbondjr1

Reaction score
The Ford Explorer gets redone for the 2025 model year. The drive train options are the same except now the hybrid is a fleet only option. Ford dropped the V8 awhile ago, even though the Explorer went back to being a rear-drive design.

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop with Dodge following the Hurricane inline six, which is the next generation 8-speed automatics. I love the Jeep 4Xe after tending the ones at work. I think the Durango would really benefit from such an option.
I can only imagine the amount of power these new Mopar vehicles could have with the Gen-4 ZF 8HP transmission. The plug-in hybrid version is a power adder in itself with peak hp and torque levels reaching 160kW (214.5hp) and 450newton-meters (332lb-ft) of torque, that's more than any supercharger would add. If the Charger Six Pack H/O is pushing 550hp without it, that's 764 combined system Horsepower and an insane amount of torque. Even if peak power is only realized in a push to pass type deal, that is very close to redeye levels of power and with AWD. If Dodge puts that in their SRT Vehicles, which could be anything on the STLA: Large and STLA: Frame platforms, that still puts Dodge out in front of the horsepower wars, while being way more efficient. Add a few Direct Connection upgrades and Jailbreak upgrades to any of those vehicles and things only get better! V8s might be gone but Muscle cars are still here and they're still evolving. I think we're going to be okay in this post-V8 world.

TripleT

Reaction score
YES MAKE IT SO.

Like I have Said even if it just a battery that last long enough for slow speed and 12 seconds or so it would be AWESOME.

bill burke

Reaction score
I can only imagine the amount of power these new Mopar vehicles could have with the Gen-4 ZF 8HP transmission. The plug-in hybrid version is a power adder in itself with peak hp and torque levels reaching 160kW (214.5hp) and 450newton-meters (332lb-ft) of torque, that's more than any supercharger would add. If the Charger Six Pack H/O is pushing 550hp without it, that's 764 combined system Horsepower and an insane amount of torque. Even if peak power is only realized in a push to pass type deal, that is very close to redeye levels of power and with AWD. If Dodge puts that in their SRT Vehicles, which could be anything on the STLA: Large and STLA: Frame platforms, that still puts Dodge out in front of the horsepower wars, while being way more efficient. Add a few Direct Connection upgrades and Jailbreak upgrades to any of those vehicles and things only get better! V8s might be gone but Muscle cars are still here and they're still evolving. I think we're going to be okay in this post-V8 world.
Agree, the Hemi was special, but the Hurricane is too. Shared before that I owned and bracket drag raced a 1991 Eagle Talon AWD/TSI that had a tuned computer, larger turbo and after market exhaust that sounded great and was a fast car for a four cylinder at that time, especially on the street. Won Heavy Eliminator with it at Maple Grove and at the Mopar Atlantic Nationals, it was a killer bracket car and a wolf in sheep’s clothing. This was a low 13 second car that with AWD ran just the same at the track and on the street. It was a blast to drive and a money maker, enough said about that. The point, I never gave engine sound a thought. The sound from the Talon was loud enough to be noticed and unique enough to enjoy as a enthusiast. I predict that the Six Pack or some hybrid version of the Durango will please most performance buyers and the Hemi while always being impressive but will necessarily be replaced by a new song of Mopar power, Mark my words on that too. Loved the Talon, sure many more car people will love these AWD Hurricanes. I know.

piggly522

Reaction score
Now if they’d just offer that Hurricane I6 in the Hornet and make it worthy of the R/T badging. They’d have something.

TripleT

Reaction score
its already nearly as quick as the Eagle R/T. Quicker than many R/T over the years.

Hurricane 6 would be a tight fit. But what would be easy is 2 liter, and the rear electric motor that would make it SRT worth.

Users who are viewing this thread