Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Majority Of Dodge Charger Fans Will Opt For Hurricane Over EV

We have known for quite some time that an all-electric Dodge Charger was on the horizon. Now that the time has come, the ‘Brotherhood Of Muscle’ is out in force with a distaste for the new e-muscle car lineup. While Dodge says, ‘performance made us do it,’ most fans were happy with their V8-powered muscle cars. And while the new ‘mainstream’ e-muscle cars might outperform the non-SRT cars they are replacing, the market for electric vehicles (EVs) is slowing in North America. Now, while Dodge has pulled the covers off of its 400-volt e-muscle cars for 2024, there are still … (read full article...)

Screenshot 2024-03-05 at 12.47.14 PM.jpeg

Mattwood440

Reaction score
Ok, I thought this was an April Fools thing, but it doesn't seem like it. Obviously, moparinsiders followers are not representative of all charger buyers, so a sample taken from that population is not valid. Yes, there has been pullback from EVs recently. However, average consumers are going to buy what is cheapest. Period. Plus, with the ability to now kick the tax break back to the dealer, I see A LOT of RT EV leases in the near future. Hopefully they will outnumber Teslas.

Mopar392

Reaction score
No kidding.... what will the CARB state buyer opt for? Driving there existing car as long as they can.
CARB states do not ban ICE, at least not yet and not an outright ban.

Let’s see a hypothetical poll of those ICE buyers, who would opt for Hurricane SO or HO and who would opt for the hypothetical 426HEMI and he would pay for the penalties on each vehicle for Stellantis.

Last edited:

Jeeper1961

Reaction score
How about we just vote out the folks putting these ridiculous CARB emissions laws in effect? There are more promising technologies on the horizon other than BEV. And I think if people want to pay extra for a V8 then they should be able to do just that. I'm not a fan of what Dodge has done on the powertrain side. Both Chevy and Ford are keeping V8's.

Mopar392

Reaction score
Voting or not is not a sustainable solution.
The industry can’t radically change their plan every 4 years.

TripleT

Reaction score
CARB states do not ban ICE, at least not yet and not an outright ban.

Let’s see a hypothetical poll of those ICE buyers, who would opt for Hurricane SO or HO and who would opt for the hypothetical 426HEMI and he would pay for the penalties on each vehicle for Stellantis.
Punative Taxes mean it is a effective ban by 28' that is only 3 model years away

TripleT

Reaction score
How about we just vote out the folks putting these ridiculous CARB emissions laws in effect? There are more promising technologies on the horizon other than BEV. And I think if people want to pay extra for a V8 then they should be able to do just that. I'm not a fan of what Dodge has done on the powertrain side. Both Chevy and Ford are keeping V8's.
Because they sold plenty of turbo cars to offset it, unlike FCA who paid people to drive Tesla's. The new powertrain outperforms the V8. at this point it just a marketing thing. Neither have a straight six options to compete with. No one complains about having only Cummins vs the Ford/GMs diesel options, because it is a better powertrain. New Coyote sounds horrible... but yeah it has an entire extra head and 2 cylinders...

BWS1

Reaction score
No kidding.... what will the CARB state buyer opt for? Driving there existing car as long as they can.
I’ll drive 20 minutes across the state line and buy my ICE Charger in Tennessee. Then register it locally in my commie state of Virginia, which will be perfectly legal for anyone to do in any state as long as interstate commerce laws remain on the books as they are today.

vbondjr1

Reaction score
Lol, this isn't news. My thing is just hoping that both the coupe and sedan get both SO and HO options

vbondjr1

Reaction score
I know this might seem miniscule to some but seeing that these are still pre-production vehicle I'm still hoping and praying that dodge fixes those doors!!!!!! PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS CHARGER PUT THE 68-70 SCALLOPS ON THOSE FRONT DOORS!!!!!!!!! The car is 99% spot on it just needs the doors fixed!!!!!

TripleT

Reaction score
I know this might seem miniscule to some but seeing that these are still pre-production vehicle I'm still hoping and praying that dodge fixes those doors!!!!!! PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS CHARGER PUT THE 68-70 SCALLOPS ON THOSE FRONT DOORS!!!!!!!!! The car is 99% spot on it just needs the doors fixed!!!!!
Paint it in.

bill burke

Reaction score
I so agree. The Charger, in its effort at elegant styling, missed the mark on muscle car aggressiveness. Front grill too plain, sides need a distinctive feature like three scallops like 1971 Charger or something aft of rear door, something to telegraph aggression and excitement. These are small things I agree, but major improvements if Dodge wants to stand for muscle and not styling blandness. Glad someone saw it like I do, it’s not too late Dodge even for a decal and a grill that put fear in the competition. Ho hum to the point of boredom.

cgseller

Reaction score
Ok, I thought this was an April Fools thing, but it doesn't seem like it. Obviously, moparinsiders followers are not representative of all charger buyers, so a sample taken from that population is not valid. Yes, there has been pullback from EVs recently. However, average consumers are going to buy what is cheapest. Period. Plus, with the ability to now kick the tax break back to the dealer, I see A LOT of RT EV leases in the near future. Hopefully they will outnumber Teslas.
This would be a good litmus test for the population of this site as a predictor of consumer purchases. Let's revisit in 24 months....

Mike201

Reaction score
This is pretty close to what the nation wants over all ICE vs EV. Read somewhere a while back it was around 91% did not want EV’s. This seems pretty close.

Mopar392

Reaction score
But did Stellantis make it to a double digit last fiscal year??

Users who are viewing this thread