Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EPA Releases Official MPG Numbers For 2025 Ram 1500

As anticipation mounts for the arrival of the 2025 Ram 1500 at dealerships nationwide, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has unveiled the official fuel economy numbers for this highly anticipated truck lineup, which now includes the innovative twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter HURRICANE I6 engines. Engine Options – The 2025 Ram 1500 offers customers a trio of engine options, catering to diverse preferences and performance needs. 3.6-liter Pentastar V6 with eTorque Mild-Hybrid System: Power & Efficiency: This renowned engine delivers 305 horsepower and 269 lb.-ft. of torque, utilizing advanced technologies like Variable Valve Timing (VVT) and two-step variable valve lift for optimal power … (read full article...)

RM025_143FN.jpeg

JRTex

Reaction score
Sucks that don't have the ecodiesel anymore with the 30mpg hwy. 3rd gen ecodiesel is awesome.

ipa0628

Reaction score
Se we get less gas mileage in local driving than the Hemi. Shoots down the narrative of its better for environmental reasons. Can't wait to see how bad the I6 is under at 70mph on a long interstate hill carrying 4 passengers and a bed full of vacation stuff. I'll bet it is less than the Hemi.

MotorMaven

Reaction score
Se we get less gas mileage in local driving than the Hemi. Shoots down the narrative of its better for environmental reasons. Can't wait to see how bad the I6 is under at 70mph on a long interstate hill carrying 4 passengers and a bed full of vacation stuff. I'll bet it is less than the Hemi.
If you want torque and gobs of power, the EV is going to be the best bet.

The HEMI has dreadful emissions, which is why it’s being cut. It isn’t just about economy but also carbon pollution. Big V8s are pollution monsters and required huge payments for carbon credits that would keep increasing over time.

AlexB

Reaction score
If you want torque and gobs of power, the EV is going to be the best bet.

The HEMI has dreadful emissions, which is why it’s being cut. It isn’t just about economy but also carbon pollution. Big V8s are pollution monsters and required huge payments for carbon credits that would keep increasing over time.
Well put.

WXman

Reaction score
Wow. So Z E R O gain in fuel economy, AND you have to run mid-grade gas in the S.O. version and high-grade in the H.O. version. So basically it's going to cost more to drive the new powertrain than it did the old one. Brilliant, just brilliant.

Long live the Hemi! If you have a Hemi, keep it boys! Never let go of it!

bill burke

Reaction score
I absolutely love the Pentastar V-6 and it is the main reason I bought a Jeep Cherokee over a Alfa Romeo Stelvio,, it just seemed smoother and offered equivalent power. I have owned three Pentstars and they are so reliable and satisfying to drive. No mater the claims, I don’t like turbo fours.
If I had my way I’d love a Pentastar eTorque or a 5.7 Hemi over the Hurricane in a Grand Cherokee. I have even considered a left over GC to keep my V-6.
Waiting for 2025 refreshed Grand Cherokee and next generation Cherokee and whatever Dodge and Chrysler comes out with to replace my Cherokee. I know I may get stuck with.the Hurricane, but will not go fo a turbo four.
I don’t give a darn about gas mileage or pollution numbers. Never electric for me.

Windjammer

Reaction score
Strange to me that the I6 does not have both direct AND port fuel injection. The Ford EB motors have it and so do many other engines in the industry. That means deposit build up on the intake valves and maint to clean them at some point.

Stephen345

Reaction score
I absolutely love the Pentastar V-6 and it is the main reason I bought a Jeep Cherokee over a Alfa Romeo Stelvio,, it just seemed smoother and offered equivalent power. I have owned three Pentstars and they are so reliable and satisfying to drive. No mater the claims, I don’t like turbo fours.
If I had my way I’d love a Pentastar eTorque or a 5.7 Hemi over the Hurricane in a Grand Cherokee. I have even considered a left over GC to keep my V-6.
Waiting for 2025 refreshed Grand Cherokee and next generation Cherokee and whatever Dodge and Chrysler comes out with to replace my Cherokee. I know I may get stuck with.the Hurricane, but will not go fo a turbo four.
I don’t give a darn about gas mileage or pollution numbers. Never electric for me.
Hi Bill, yes, I am very similar down here in Australia, my older 300C is the Hemi 5 7 and our Grand Cherokee is the Pentastar, unfortunately the available range fir us is now very limited to just Jeep or converted RAM'S.
I don't know what the future holds regarding Chrysler Group vehicles.

patfromigh

Reaction score
Se we get less gas mileage in local driving than the Hemi. Shoots down the narrative of its better for environmental reasons
Wow. So Z E R O gain in fuel economy, AND you have to run mid-grade gas in the S.O. version and high-grade in the H.O. version.
The 2024 Ram 1500s with the HEMI have the eTorque mild hybrid system. The 2025 Ram 1500s with the Hurricane six do not. That is why the HEMI has better city fuel economy. I went on EPA's Fueleconomy.gov website and ran comparisons with the 2024 Ram Classic models as well. The power trains in the Classic have neither the BSG or a start/ stop. Even with the Pentastar there is a significant drop in fuel economy without these aids. For the record, I hate stop / start, the BSG setup is much better. I find it amazing that the SO Hurricane betters the Ram Classic Pentastar V6 for fuel economy.

The SO Hurricane runs on, and was tested by the EPA on, regular grade gasoline. The HEMI V8 on the other hand requires mid-grade gasoline and this was what the EPA tested the V8 with. About that HO Hurricane six, it runs premium fuel, but what are you comparing it to? The 392 V8 was never offered in the Ram 1500 from the factory. It was installed in the Wrangler and it requires premium grade fuel as well. The fuel economy isn't that good either. Perhaps the HO Hurricane could be compared to the TRX. The TRX also requires premium grade fuel and has worse fuel economy. In its defense the TRX has a much wider stance, has more aggressive tires, and has out around 150 more horsepower. The TRX weighs more than a regular Ram 1500 as well. Which brings up my final point. one of the most notable influences of EPA fuel economy numbers is vehicle weight. The 2024 and 2025 Ram 1500s are not that far enough in weight for a big gain in fuel economy. The few hundred pounds between a six and V8 isn't much.

WXman

Reaction score
The SO Hurricane runs on, and was tested by the EPA on, regular grade gasoline. The HEMI V8 on the other hand requires mid-grade gasoline and this was what the EPA tested the V8 with.

That's the opposite of what is printed in official materials. Just this week when the EPA info was released (is even in the article for this thread), it clearly states 89 octane "can be used" for the Hurricane S.O. (suggesting they recommend 91+ premium) and 91+ is a requirement for the H.O. Conversely, my 2022 owners manual states I can run 87 octane "regular" fuel in the Hemi.

TripleT

Reaction score
HO is equivalent plus to the 392 which "required" 91 octane, and Syn Oil.... which is the same. RAM was NEVER offered the 392. And I pretty sure the HO it is just recommended.

Mopar392

Reaction score
One point which is not highlighted enough is the emissions.
Hurricane engines produces more power than the HEMI but with less emissions.

Users who are viewing this thread