Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stellantis Files Patent For A Two-Speed Gearbox For Off-Road EVs

Stellantis recently filed a patent that caught our eye that could be very beneficial to future Jeep® electric vehicles (EVs). Their latest patent introduces a cutting-edge gearbox designed specifically to enhance performance and versatility for electric-powered off-road adventures. Let’s delve into the details of this groundbreaking technology and how it’s set to revolutionize the off-road … (read full article...)

Image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Petemcl

Reaction score
Typical Stellantis mistakes. They do NOT understand the purpose of low range low range (which is what this essentially is). Low range is used for control particularly coming down off obstacles like rocks. None of the Stellantis upper management have been across the Rubicon Trail or they would understand this. Lee Iacocca and other Jeep CEOs went but this is beneath Carlos "the Rebadger". A 3:1 ratio is not enough. It should be 4:1 like the Wrangler Rubicon.

bill burke

Reaction score
Doubling down on electrification that flys in the face of reality is unwise and potentially fatal. That said, I do not condemn this new transmissions merits or needs or the development of reliable electric vehicles, I applauded this patented technology, I just believe the buying public will temper this double down thinking as it has already spoken loud in clear on this foolish gamble. The hybrid system is the future of electrification and doubling down on wishful thinking erodes the Stellantis market position especially in North America. Indeed this is a good technology, but too many eggs in this basket is bad policy.

bill burke

Reaction score
Typical Stellantis mistakes. They do NOT understand the purpose of low range low range (which is what this essentially is). Low range is used for control particularly coming down off obstacles like rocks. None of the Stellantis upper management have been across the Rubicon Trail or they would understand this. Lee Iacocca and other Jeep CEOs went but this is beneath Carlos "the Rebadger". A 3:1 ratio is not enough. It should be 4:1 like the Wrangler Rubicon.
I accept your first hand knowledge on this, but wonder on your opinion on electrification generally and in particular, off road applications. Is Jeep rushing this in spite of public sentiment?

patfromigh

Reaction score
Electric vehicles do benefit from multi-speed transmissions, even if it is just a two-speed unit. Can an EV smoothly descend hills without the internal combustion engine's compression braking? Of course, electrified vehicles typically have regenerative braking. The Wrangler 4Xe has a MAX-regen button which triggers a very aggressive response mode. I know, I get to play with this stuff.

This conversation exposes the propaganda which dominates the battery electric narrative. We are told that battery electric power-trains are simple, requiring less complex mechanical parts. Which is true for NEVs running around warm weather retirement communities, or city cars such as the Fiat 500 and Nissan Leaf. The reality is, with the push to a battery electric "one-size-fits-all" panacea, complexity is added when radiators and coolant pumps need to be used for cooling large battery packs. Now we are seeing transmissions becoming necessary for off-road applications. It's not easy (or cheap) being green.

The Jeep Magneto concepts have given a strong hint about providing gear reduction for EV off-roading. While those concepts use a single motor with conventional mechanical axles, the Recon with its dual drive units will need the transmission setup on both axles. So much for simplicity.
... too many eggs in this basket is bad policy.
I don't see this patent and related research as too many eggs in the basket. I see it as adding more tools to the toolbox. There are operating environments where battery electric power-trains will be advantageous. How this all plays out all remains to be seen. Yes betting the farm on all battery electric is dumb. We must realize the people running Stellantis rub elbows with the financial types who are making life miserable for Toyota for going against the narrative.

Bill, stay away from those Mr. Bean videos! You've been brainwashed to cling to your ICE powered vehicles. :giggle:

AlexB

Reaction score
Doubling down on electrification that flys in the face of reality is unwise and potentially fatal. That said, I do not condemn this new transmissions merits or needs or the development of reliable electric vehicles, I applauded this patented technology, I just believe the buying public will temper this double down thinking as it has already spoken loud in clear on this foolish gamble. The hybrid system is the future of electrification and doubling down on wishful thinking erodes the Stellantis market position especially in North America. Indeed this is a good technology, but too many eggs in this basket is bad policy.
Where in the hell do you call this " a double down"? You make zero business sense (like most times) when the company faces regulatory challenges which may get even more hash if the 46th President of the United States wins a second term this November.

bill burke

Reaction score
Where in the hell do you call this " a double down"? You make zero business sense (like most times) when the company faces regulatory challenges which may get even more hash if the 46th President of the United States wins a second term this November.
I consider the enormous funds being spent on electrification with too little for alternative modes as doubling down. Ford and GM already recognize the path Stellantis is stubbornly following is the bad business case you may have alluded to. I believe upon launch of Recon and Wagoneer S that a hybrid option will make these vehicles more acceptable and appealing. I do not expect everyone to agree but that’s my business case. I do agree a second term under current government policy would be a disaster.

AlexB

Reaction score
I consider the enormous funds being spent on electrification with too little for alternative modes as doubling down. Ford and GM already recognize the path Stellantis is stubbornly following is the bad business case you may have alluded to. I believe upon launch of Recon and Wagoneer S that a hybrid option will make these vehicles more acceptable and appealing. I do not expect everyone to agree but that’s my business case. I do agree a second term under current government policy would be a disaster.
The fact you consider "electrification with too little for alternative modes as doubling down. Ford and GM already recognize the path Stellantis is stubbornly following is the bad business case " shows you don't know what the heck you are typing about.

In North America the Stellantis never planned 100% EV in ....38% EV by 2031 isn't 100%, and Stellantis underpinnings are multi energy/powertrain. Hence no adjustments unlike GM & Ford.
As for Recon, that's why the Cherokee exist/returns.

patfromigh

Reaction score
The Recon and the Wagoneer S models are growing in importance for Stellantis. It is important that these Jeep models be robust and not fragile. Sales aren't nearly as important as reputation when just starting out marketing battery electric Jeeps.

Users who are viewing this thread