Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Revolutionizing Mobility: Stellantis Unveils STLA Large Architecture

Stellantis has officially released details on its new STLA Large architecture. The new platform is highly flexible and designed to accommodate internal combustion engine (ICE), hybrid electric (HEV), and battery electric (BEV) powertrains, and will underpin several D- and E-segment vehicles over the next two years. Full-size vehicles are the core of the North American … (read full article...)

STLA-Large-Platform-Siderp18fsdefkbetui4k2mbh91ubl.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

patfromigh

Reaction score
What caught my attention is the range of dimensions for this platform. The Fiat Toro, Ram 1000, and Rampage pickups all easily fall within these parameters. While snooping around on the web out of curiosity, I noticed that these mid-size pickups are not catalogued for sale in Mexico. The smaller Ram 700 imported from Brazil is. Obviously the next Jeep Cherokee will be sized somewhere in the parameters of the STLA Large platform which it will be based upon. Could Mexico be tapped to build a North American Rampage along side of the next Cherokee? We don't even know if the next Cherokee will be front or rear drive based.

Not using any of the proposed STLA platforms are the Jeep Wrangler and Gladiator. Sometime in the future they are slated to offer an range extender EV option. A V6 range extender barely fit in the Ramcharger, so I will speculate the Wrangler will use a smaller ICE power source. The Jeep brand's Wagoneer S and Recon models are BEV only, because of course Stellantis must follow the party line. Hopefully there is a plan B range extender option under wraps, since they are working on something which fits in a Wrangler.

The Article states:
- STLA Large platform enables segment-leading capabilities including embedded energy (118 kWh), charging efficiency (4.5 kWh per minute), and performance (0-100 km/h or 62 mph in 2-second range)
- Available in 400-volt and 800-volt BEV architectures, STLA Large is the most flexible BEV- native platform in the industry, underpinning car, crossover and SUV vehicle types in the D and E segments

The above sounds impressive, but this level of technical prowess pretty much means high speed charging only, an increased risk of fire, and insurance premiums that dwarfs those of a Hellcat. An owner of a top end EV can get a full charge with a level 2 connection on a couple of days for weekend use, but they might want to keep the car outside for safety's sake.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
No, the Rampage is based on the platform as the Compass (the FCA Small-Wide 4x4 LWB platform). It actually is more inline with the D-segment Commander, which also shares the same architecture. Actually the Rampage and Commander share the same front A-pillar allowing for the same windshield as the Commander.

Screenshot 2023-06-23 at 9.36.46 AM.jpeg

patfromigh

Reaction score
No, the Rampage is based on the platform as the Compass
I didn't say that a North American Rampage (or whatever they call it) would use the same platform as the Latin American one. What I am saying is a Rampage sized pickup can be built using the STLA Large platform. I DID day such a truck could share the line with the next Cherokee, which will be on the STLA Large platform. Speaking of the next Cherokee does the shortest wheelbase of the STLA Large range of dimensions give us a hint about the next Cherokee?

TripleT

Reaction score
Be careful Pat, some of the sizes are BEV only because of the compact powertrain and battery placement between the wheels. Impact room grows with engine in the front.

patfromigh

Reaction score
I'm just speculating here. The likely reason we won't see the SUSW Rampage arrive here is because by the time any line is built, it is only months away from the BEV mandates. Any new mid-size pickup has to have battery electric capability in the design. We do know that the Charger will offer some sort of ICE option using this platform. It is speculated the next Cherokee will as well.

TripleT

Reaction score
STLA Mid..... My expectation is NA will almost be exclusively Frame and Large.... With Small capacity in the Mid ........ Mexico and Canada

Users who are viewing this thread