Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next-Generation Wrangler Will Get Two Electrified Powertrains

Introduced as the successor of the iconic Jeep® CJ, the Wrangler is the halo vehicle for the entire Jeep brand. Since its introduction in 1986, Jeep has sold over 5 million vehicles of its legendary body-on-frame, solid axle, and open-top SUV over the past 37 years. The current Jeep Wrangler (JL) generation was introduced in … (read full article...)

tempImageCElW2x.png

Last edited by a moderator:

patfromigh

Reaction score
Perhaps there may be a pure ICE with a mutual transmission offered in the Wrangler, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting. The key to an ICE for the Wrangler is the 880 RE Gen 4 which is to be built in Kokomo. With a 48V electric motor in it, the 880 RE Gen 4 will probably be the next rear drive mild hybrid setup. This is just my guessing. The fourth generation 8-speed is plug and play according to ZF, and there will be a choice of a torque converter, a 48V or high voltage electric motors.

The Pentastar V6 certainly fits under the hood of a Wrangler, but where would the batteries go? Dana has been the historical supplier of axles for Jeep and the company does offer solid electric drive axles. A Ram 1500 has lots of room for a range extended EV power train, but I don't know how they could pull it off in a Wrangler.

TripleT

Reaction score
My guess is there will be no pure ICE... That there will be 3..... BEV, REV, and PHEV. Body on Frame makes that even easier no different floor stampings.

TripleT

Reaction score
I think it’s a wrong decision not to offer a pure ICE option.
I think it's a brilliant solution to remove the parasitic torque converter, with pancake motors. At that point you only talking about how big a battery you pair with it. It is the ICE solution with HP added instead of parasitic loss of torque conversion. Maybe cheap 6 speed option with clutch, but Wrangler already demand high margins.

Mopar392

Reaction score
Why not the opposite? ICE motor with a pancake electrical motor instead of the torque converter?
ZF new transmission is capable of that.

TotoFromHell

Reaction score
Going off-road with electric is absolutely terrible. This will be fine for people that want to shell out what will be way too much money on a vehicle like this for looks and ego but never leaves pavement. After seeing multiple off-road reviews of the Wrangler hybrid they have almost no range over moderate off-road conditions. Battery runs dry off road so you bring a gas powered generator to recharge! Absolutely brilliant. People are waking up to the EV scam and Jeep needs to realize this and stop pandering to eco-thugs, ESG scams and hiding from reality the fact ICE's will be in demand way past 2028. Toyota and others have already smelled the coffee now it's time for Stellantis to wake up and get up off their virtues signaling knees

Mopar392

Reaction score
That’s how it works.
The Ramcharger’s setup and rumored future Wrangler’s setup have the ICE engine working only as a Charger to extend the range of the batteries and not connected ti the drivetrain.

What’s I’m saying is having ICE engine connected like normal to the transmission and drivetrain but having a pancake electrical motor sandwiched between the engine and transmission instead of the torque converter.

TripleT

Reaction score
Yes like they ZF they are developing for Kokomo and in the current 4xE...

patfromigh

Reaction score
Seriously, hybrids come with their own built in gas generator. The Wrangler 4Xe has various drive modes so a driver may choose whether to go all electric or a hybrid combo. Having regenerative braking is a plus when descending a hill off road. My work duties include keeping track of the plugin vehicles in our fleet. I have driven most of the new hybrids and enjoyed a few of them enough to buy one. Mine is not a plugin, but it does have an e-axle. I don't plan to take it off road, but where I live we still have unpaved roads with county route numbers. The county calls them trunk highways. Maybe that is why our Wrangler 4Xe models at work are so popular.

None of us likes this one size fits all, battery electric panacea push. Most of us on in these forums rail against that. There have been hybrids for decades and for the last two decades consumers have had gas electric hybrid vehicles available to them in the marketplace. There is a lot of difference between a hybrid and a pure battery electric. I deal with this on a daily basis at work. One can fool the people in the stands but you can't fool the players on the field.

The thing which killed electric-mobility in North America was cheap diesel. Cheap diesel also strangled other alternative fuels. Now that diesel isn't cheap anymore fleets are looking for alternatives. Battery electric power makes a lot of sense in commercial trucks. (In an 18 wheeler it doesn't because of the weight of the batteries combined with the speed and distance issues.) When Stellantis offers battery electric power in Jeeps and vans is that "pandering to eco-thugs" or responding to a customer's needs? While the EV market is crashing there is still a demand for the Ram ProMaster battery electric. If Toyota has "smelled the coffee", why are they trialing a proof of concept, battery electric, Hilux pickup truck in a country that doesn't have any EV mandates? The Hilux in that market comes with a small diesel engine and gets outstanding fuel economy. There are no "eco-thugs" there to force Toyota into this. The Asian-Pacific market Hilux is nothing like the small electric pickup truck Toyota displayed at the Tokyo Mobility Show, which is intended for the US market. Are Stellantis and Toyota virtue signaling or simply responding to the reality of California's EV mandates?

AlexB

Reaction score
Question of the day:

So what is the status of the Recon?
Next year, as well the Wagoneer S(the 3rd Quarter Revenue Call).
BTW: given the high % of Wrangler/Gladiator sales which come from CARB states (particularly the Northeast states like New York), nobody should be surprise that Stellantis is skipping messing around with a ICE offering for the next gen Wrangler/Gladiator.

TripleT

Reaction score
Next year, as well the Wagoneer S(the 3rd Quarter Revenue Call).
BTW: given the high % of Wrangler/Gladiator sales which come from CARB states (particularly the Northeast states like New York), nobody should be surprise that Stellantis is skipping messing around with a ICE offering for the next gen Wrangler/Gladiator.
Well I solidly predict they WILL mess around with ICE in 2 out of 3 of the powertrains. One pure EV, One Pure EV with a ICE generator, and one PHEV.

Mopar392

Reaction score
PHEV is ok if the ICE part is good to run by itself.

TripleT

Reaction score
PHEV is ok if the ICE part is good to run by itself.
So your requirement is a driveshaft? As the new system will run off the ICE via Electric motors, so technically it is running without batteries. No electric motors at all won't be available on anything as the replacement of torque converter which is parasitic will be replaced with motors on all systems eventually except a clutched manual

patfromigh

Reaction score
The UAW let it be known that the Wrangler will get a version of the Ramcharger's range extended EV power train. It doesn't mention if the Gladiator will follow suit. I imagine it would. The timing for the arrival of a PHEV Gladiator matches the arrival of the 4th generation hybrid 8-speed.

BTW, did anyone else notice the Jeep Gladiator Mojave hiding in the background at the end of the Stellantis Pro One Commercial Vehicle Offensive video? I wonder what is under the hood.

Mopar392

Reaction score
So your requirement is a driveshaft? As the new system will run off the ICE via Electric motors, so technically it is running without batteries. No electric motors at all won't be available on anything as the replacement of torque converter which is parasitic will be replaced with motors on all systems eventually except a clutched manual
Jeep’s 4xe is PHEV with ICE and driveshaft.

AlexB

Reaction score
Well I solidly predict they WILL mess around with ICE in 2 out of 3 of the

The UAW let it be known that the Wrangler will get a version of the Ramcharger's range extended EV power train. It doesn't mention if the Gladiator will follow suit. I imagine it would. The timing for the arrival of a PHEV Gladiator matches the arrival of the 4th generation hybrid 8-speed.

BTW, did anyone else notice the Jeep Gladiator Mojave hiding in the background at the end of the Stellantis Pro One Commercial Vehicle Offensive video? I wonder what is under the hood.
Pretty sure Gladiator will get what the Wrangler gets ,but the original Toledo plant remains up in the air for the future beyond 2028.

Users who are viewing this thread