Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stellantis Show Union Management Its First New Vehicle For Melfi

In a bold move towards an electrified future, Stellantis has unveiled plans to introduce five new electrified vehicles (EVs) at its Melfi Assembly Plant in Italy between 2024 and 2026. This manufacturing hub, renowned for producing popular models like the Jeep® Renegade, Jeep Compass, and the Fiat 500X, is set to play a pivotal role … (read full article...)

Melfi-5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

bill burke

Reaction score
Surprise! I believe a multi brand, multi model electrification facility is a wise decision for Stellantis. No doubt, especially in Europe, electrification has a strong business case. Seems this will be a successful venture. On the other hand there remains a sizable market segment that will demand gas powered options in most brands, even in Europe. The Jeep Avenger might be a perfect example of an all-electric Jeep model that can work. Here in the States, Jeep must continue to build a gas powered Jeep Compass, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, Wagoneer and Wrangle for decades to come. The market demands it.
The Wagoneer S and Recon might cover the “all electric” mantra for Jeep in the face of government environmental over reach.
Melfi is a sound decision, but this decision must factor in ICE options in its calculus or surrender a majority of its market base to the hysterics of a politically driven agenda gone crazy with power. No surprise here folks.

patfromigh

Reaction score
I can't speak for the Jeep Avenger because I haven't seen any in depth articles for a hybrid variant. There are, on the other hand, videos and articles on the Avenger's platform mate the Fiat 600. I think the hybrid variant of the Fiat would do well here. I suspect battery electric only models will remain a hard sell in the United States, while hybrid models will have waiting lists. The EU market of course is different from ours, and this article deals with Europe. Battery electric vehicles sell better in regions where the charging structure is more abundant, which means Europe and not here.

Before Fiat entered the picture, Chrysler then under a strip and flip outfit, was showing a number of plugin concepts under the ENVI banner. One of them was a Jeep Patriot with a range extended electric power train. That model caught the attention of many people because despite the sophisticated power train, it was a blend of simplicity, utility and practicality. The time is right for such a vehicle. The particular power train in the Jeep Patriot ReEV was obsolete the instant the Chevy Volt hit the market, and the Jeep Patriot itself is no longer relevant. Stellantis has the resources to market a vehicle of the Patriot's dimensions and proportions combined with a three cylinder engine as a plug-in hybrid. The time is now right for such a vehicle.

It is now 15 years after the release of the ENVI concepts. Looking at what they were, some of them made it into production. The Pacifica PHEV certainly has a different power train, but acquits itself with a decent battery only range in a much quicker vehicle. The Jeep Wrangler has a plug-in hybrid option as well. We didn't get the Dodge Circuit sports car, Alfa could help with this. The Chrysler 200 didn't show up as the beautiful hybrid concept, but Toyota was watching and imported their Crown.

TripleT

Reaction score
I can't speak for the Jeep Avenger because I haven't seen any in depth articles for a hybrid variant. There are, on the other hand, videos and articles on the Avenger's platform mate the Fiat 600. I think the hybrid variant of the Fiat would do well here. I suspect battery electric only models will remain a hard sell in the United States, while hybrid models will have waiting lists. The EU market of course is different from ours, and this article deals with Europe. Battery electric vehicles sell better in regions where the charging structure is more abundant, which means Europe and not here.

Before Fiat entered the picture, Chrysler then under a strip and flip outfit, was showing a number of plugin concepts under the ENVI banner. One of them was a Jeep Patriot with a range extended electric power train. That model caught the attention of many people because despite the sophisticated power train, it was a blend of simplicity, utility and practicality. The time is right for such a vehicle. The particular power train in the Jeep Patriot ReEV was obsolete the instant the Chevy Volt hit the market, and the Jeep Patriot itself is no longer relevant. Stellantis has the resources to market a vehicle of the Patriot's dimensions and proportions combined with a three cylinder engine as a plug-in hybrid. The time is now right for such a vehicle.

It is now 15 years after the release of the ENVI concepts. Looking at what they were, some of them made it into production. The Pacifica PHEV certainly has a different power train, but acquits itself with a decent battery only range in a much quicker vehicle. The Jeep Wrangler has a plug-in hybrid option as well. We didn't get the Dodge Circuit sports car, Alfa could help with this. The Chrysler 200 didn't show up as the beautiful hybrid concept, but Toyota was watching and imported their Crown.

I do think the 600 would be a good offering along with the 500 for the few Fiat dealer attached to the CDJR. But is still a bit small for NA.

STLA Mid- will be more attuned to the NA market. What we know for sure is the PSA guys have NO issue like SM running as many of the same vehicles around with Coachwork changes to fill out a product portfolio.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread