Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AUCTION: 1964 Chrysler 300K Convertible Headed To Mecum

In the realm of classic American automobiles, few hold the mystique and allure quite like the Chrysler 300 letter-series models. Often hailed as “a gentleman’s Hot Rod,” these vehicles exude a blend of refined elegance and raw power that captivates enthusiasts. Among these distinguished classics, the 1964 Chrysler 300K Convertible stands out as a rare … (read full article...)

1964 Chrysler 300K Convertible. (Mecum). - 11.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

wpm55

Reaction score
The 1963, and 64 Chryslers are a very major part of my early days as Gearhead. I was just 9 years old in 64, and my family was a Mopar fan club. I was born in Detroit, and my mom's side of the family all worked for the Chrysler Corporation in the Highland Park headquarters location. My grandfather joined Chrysler in the early 1930s. When he retired in 1958, the entire family moved to the San Fernando Valley, California. My grandfather bought a new Plymouth Belvedere, which was the top of the line Plymouth. I remember it very well. It was a dark metallic gold with a white top. My dad traded his 55 Desoto for a 58 Dodge Custom Sierra wagon, it was red and white with black and white interior. A huge car! In 1961, one of my uncles had a 61 Chrysler Newport, complete with canted headlights and huge towering fins in back. It was white with blue vinyl interior. Another uncle had a 62 300, it was a carmal colored inside and our. Both of these cars had Chrysler's famous Astrodome instrument cluster which included the beautiful Panelesent lighting. It glowed a beautiful bluish green color that I was mesmerized by. Then, in 1963 we had 2 300s, both white with blue vinyl interiors. One was a 2 door hardtop, the other a 4 door hardtop, it was our first car that had factory air conditioning. That was a big deal, kinda like the first time we wore shoes, living in Southern California A/C is a requirement. Both powered by 383 cid with 2 barrel carburetors In 64, another 300 showed up, it was light blue with blue vinyl interior. It too was a 383. There were very few styling updates to the 64 but they made a huge difference in the appearance, especially the newly shaped taillights that really set it off. I loved the sculptured styling that was like no other car at the time. The 63s and 4, are best described as being elegant. Those cars were replaced with Chrysler's fuelsage styling introduced in 1969. My dad's was a 4 door hardtop 300, and my uncle's was a 72 New Yorker. We also had a 66 Imperial Crown, 4 door hardtop that I loved. As you can see, we were a total Chrysler family. It was interesting to hear them all starting at the same time. I think everyone knows the sound of the 60s Chrysler starters, known as the Highland Park Hummingbirds. I have a certain attraction to all the model years styling, but the 63 and 4s are my favorites. The one featured here is just gorgeous, I'm sure whoever takes this one home will love it forever, just like I do. For obvious reasons you can see I have a special appreciation for the Chrysler Corporation, and always will. That said, today I drive nothing but Fords, Mercurys and Lincolns. I will always buy American cars, they are in my blood.

Users who are viewing this thread