Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daytona Name To Be Exclusive To The All-Electric Dodge Charger

Dodge is embarking on a bold and electrifying journey with its upcoming next-generation all-electric Dodge Charger (LB). This groundbreaking vehicle will combine all-electric and internal combustion engine power, set to debut in dealer showrooms by mid-next year. Notably, the new battery-electric (BEV) Dodge Charger will proudly bear the iconic Daytona name across its lineup, a … (read full article...)

tempImageDu2TMx.png

Last edited by a moderator:

bill burke

Reaction score
In spite of my ongoing reluctance to and reservations about electrification, I do favor an all electric Charger MODEL and it is clearly an exciting time for Dodge fans. Exclusivity of electrification to the Daytona model is an encouraging update, one that for fans like me, hints to the continuation of gas powered Dodges in tandem with the Hornet. It seems beyond imagination the the Hurricane family of engines will not be the heart and soul of Dodge muscle cars going forward. I’d even accept a hybrid Challenger in the mix, might consider it in my more compassionate environmentalist moments. But, intelligent people have, it seems from this update, realized that electrification is a niche at best, perhaps a already fast fading fad or at worst a doomed enterprise that demonstrates without question that buyers and market forces control businesses, not some group think clown show of egg heads with useless degrees. Just saying from a guy with a BA an MS and a PD. Yup, totally useless.

vbondjr1

Reaction score
With the Ioniq-5 N basically taking everything that Dodge said it was going to do with the Daytona and coming to market with it first, I'm interested to see what the Daytona will be like when it finally reaches production. While I am truly more interested in what the Hurricane versions will be like, there is no hiding the fact that I am excited about the electric Daytona Charger. The 68-70 Chargers are my favorite muscle cars hands down, followed closely by the 1969 Mercury Cougar Eliminator and Dodge Challenger, so quite naturally, I love the look of the upcoming muscle car. My hope for the next-gen Charger is that it gets alot of factory backed Direct Connection performance packages and jailbreak options. From the spinning slide shows of the car we do see the car has a few wheel options, which are very nice so I'm truly hoping that this car gets alot of love from Direct Connection and from the aftermarket with the twin turbo I-6 powertrain and the EV powertrains.

TripleT

Reaction score
I can see the back door photoshopped out the rotating gif. Makes sense to have some sort of clear designation between the ICE/PHEV and BEV models and since the ICE included model will not get the aero-nose I suppose this make sense. I just want the back doors to be pillarless rear opening but I think that is just wishfull thinking.

vbondjr1

Reaction score
Are you talking about on the grey one? I thought that's what I was looking at but I didn't want to jump to conclusions. Good eye!

James.A

Reaction score
I can see the back door photoshopped out the rotating gif. Makes sense to have some sort of clear designation between the ICE/PHEV and BEV models and since the ICE included model will not get the aero-nose I suppose this make sense. I just want the back doors to be pillarless rear opening but I think that is just wishfull thinking.
I can't tell if that is what I see or if it's pixelated rough edges... On another note, I've been really liking the green color. It looks more "British Racing" green than F8 green and that would be quite alright with me. I hope that's that case! Also, hope the retro front end carries over to the gas powered models.

Last edited:

vbondjr1

Reaction score
I think the part that makes this journey the most fun is the joint excitement of waiting to see what is going to happen with the upcoming cars from the Mopar brands. All of the speculations, the hopes and dreams of all of us. My biggest hope is that this car doesn't disappoint the masses when it comes out. It has so much potential. While I am truly excited for the Hurricane engines and the EV powertrains, I will truly say that I will miss the sound of the Mopar V8 engines. That is truly a loss. I have watched a few videos of people reviewing the 3.0L Hurricane in the Wagoneer, however and I don't think we're going to be disappointed when it comes to power. One of the guys in a review videos mentioned that the 510hp/500lb-ft Hurricane H.O is a bit watered down from its true potential but even in the Grand Wagoneer he mentioned that by no means was it slow and compared the 3.0L Hurricane favorably to the 392ci Hemi V8. I think what will be cool is to see what kinds of Direct Connection upgrades will be available for the twin turbo powertrains. Turbocharged powertrains are very responsive to modifications so we could see some pretty neat stuff come from Direct Connection with this new car along with styling and suspension stuff. As long as it's fast and it feels and sounds good, that's what's really important.

TripleT

Reaction score
I think the part that makes this journey the most fun is the joint excitement of waiting to see what is going to happen with the upcoming cars from the Mopar brands. All of the speculations, the hopes and dreams of all of us. My biggest hope is that this car doesn't disappoint the masses when it comes out. It has so much potential. While I am truly excited for the Hurricane engines and the EV powertrains, I will truly say that I will miss the sound of the Mopar V8 engines. That is truly a loss. I have watched a few videos of people reviewing the 3.0L Hurricane in the Wagoneer, however and I don't think we're going to be disappointed when it comes to power. One of the guys in a review videos mentioned that the 510hp/500lb-ft Hurricane H.O is a bit watered down from its true potential but even in the Grand Wagoneer he mentioned that by no means was it slow and compared the 3.0L Hurricane favorably to the 392ci Hemi V8. I think what will be cool is to see what kinds of Direct Connection upgrades will be available for the twin turbo powertrains. Turbocharged powertrains are very responsive to modifications so we could see some pretty neat stuff come from Direct Connection with this new car along with styling and suspension stuff. As long as it's fast and it feels and sounds good, that's what's really important.
A second faster 0-60 on a 6000lb Brick is more than not disappointing. Of course the exhaust tuning will need to be different but you can make a straight six sound good.

vbondjr1

Reaction score
A second faster 0-60 on a 6000lb Brick is more than not disappointing. Of course the exhaust tuning will need to be different but you can make a straight six sound good.
I've heard a few decent sounding Inline-6 twin turbos. Nissan RBs, the infamous 2JZ-GTE and of course the Ford Barra. I'm super curious to see how this is going to sound

TripleT

Reaction score
Well not as loud when you have spinning mufflers on it, but can sound good.

vbondjr1

Reaction score
Something else I wonder about with this next gen vehicle as well. I look at what stellantis did with the Ram 1500 REV concept vs the actual pickup truck. The actual truck both ev and hurricane powered carry a few similarities from the concept vehicle but basically retain alot of the styling of a Ram 1500. Kind of like how the f150 just looks like an f150 with an EV nose or the gmc Denali looks like a GMC truck. It just makes me wonder if the next gen car will take what is good about the current car, add a bit more of the '68-'70 cues, some new lights and a more aero shape and be somewhat of a blend of the '99 concept, the current charger and this concept all with hurricane and ev power. What fueled that thought is just going back to the red car under the cover at the EV day presentation that Tim Kuniskis was next to and lifted the corner of it up. Something like that with AWD, a lift back/fastback design and a revised interior would actually make sense. At least to me anyway.

vbondjr1

Reaction score
If the Hurricane-6 is solid as the RB and 2JZ engines, we’ll be looking at something that will piss EPA off
Lol, why because we will still be able to have fun while meeting their requirements?

TripleT

Reaction score
If the Hurricane-6 is solid as the RB and 2JZ engines, we’ll be looking at something that will piss EPA off
Lol, why because we will still be able to have fun while meeting their requirements?
YES there is nothing more the permanent Bureaucracy hates more than people enjoying themselves. They rather all us plebes drive around in 2 stroke Trabants than have a compliant car that is fun.

vbondjr1

Reaction score
YES there is nothing more the permanent Bureaucracy hates more than people enjoying themselves. They rather all us plebes drive around in 2 stroke Trabants than have a compliant car that is fun.
All while neutering a brand that has been unapologetically American and turning into something completely European. Kind of ironic is it not? Granted the Charger/Challenger/300 are already on a modified Mercedes Benz platform anyway but it just seems to be fate. But either way. Hopefully, the Brand will do something amazing and keep its loyal fans happy.

TripleT

Reaction score
Ohhhhh don’t tell anyone that was in the actual Development team that…… according to them they were far along a the L series cars before MB parts bin became available…. Dodge after near death experience has bucked the Trend and lowered the demographic showing that the market and regulators are at true Odds. FCA to this point has shrugged off foreign influence better than nearly any international corporation.

Users who are viewing this thread