Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stellantis’ Decision To Stop Production In Belvidere Could Have Massive Repercussions

Stellantis’ Decision To Stop Production In Belvidere Could Have Massive Repercussions​

The City, The Workers, & The Suppliers Are "All Hands On Deck" Trying To Save The Facility...​

1676738768620.png

In December, just a few days before Christmas, Stellantis made the announcement that it would indefinitely idle production at its Belvidere Assembly Plant in Illinois, at the end of February.

cygnus

Reaction score
Tavares, Elkann. Those are the two people responsible for this.

bill burke

Reaction score
I commented to the folks at Belvedere over four years ago about the build quality, performance and satisfaction I had with my 2019 Jeep Cherokee Overland. Nothing over that time has changed my opinion. Not to say that I had no suggestions for bettering a very competent vehicle, but time for a new Cherokee has come and hopefully those suggestions I have made repeatedly will come to fruition, sadly, not at Belvedere. Based on the sincere and kind response I received from a line worker, I feel for these guys. Certainly their skill and dedication will lead to something to build and soon. Just not right otherwise. Pretty dumb too.
As to the Cherokee, no doubt it has established a strong following over the years and no doubt there is a viable business case for a new and more capable mid-size Jeep. I now will repeat my Cherokee” wish list” based on six years and two Cherokee ownerships. Here goes: Slightly longer producing more seating and cargo room. Slightly wider for the same reasons plus more stability. Rear Wheel drive with AWD option. Some form of electrification option but no all electric, that goes to its stablemate the Wagoneer S. Must have the Hurricane option also and a high performance version. Just two rows please and an interior that reflects the new levels of plush, comfort, and technology Jeep now produces. Lastly it must be more “Jeep” capable and not to knit pick, make its turning radius shorter and its rear door entry larger.
Manufacturers want feedback so give mine, some well earned consideration. The Cherokee must be built to be better and my brothers and sisters at Belvedere must get something to build real soon. Let’s get this whole thing going Jeep. Jeep employees and Cherokee loyalists deserve better.

Last edited:

Josh

Reaction score
Refresh the Grand Cherokee to mimic the Wagoneer. Have a Cherokee, Cherokee L, Grand Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee L. Quit saying Wagoneer is premium and instead say Grand is premium. Replace the KL chassis with the Commander/Meridian and make it in Toluca. Yes, find something for the people in Belvidere, but another cheap small car is NOT the answer for long term stability of the plant. That plant needs something with a higher profit margin. They need to make the next gen Charger/Challenger in Belvidere and just make E.V.'s in Canada.

TripleT

Reaction score
I should add the business climate in Illinois is difficult, Ford is having tons of problems with their plants in that state, and both the union and the state have made huge concessions to keep those plants open. I am sure Stalantis expect similar concessions.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
Refresh the Grand Cherokee to mimic the Wagoneer. Have a Cherokee, Cherokee L, Grand Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee L. Quit saying Wagoneer is premium and instead say Grand is premium. Replace the KL chassis with the Commander/Meridian and make it in Toluca. Yes, find something for the people in Belvidere, but another cheap small car is NOT the answer for long term stability of the plant. That plant needs something with a higher profit margin. They need to make the next gen Charger/Challenger in Belvidere and just make E.V.'s in Canada.

I agree... the Grand Commander could have been a game-changer for Belvidere. But that was like four years ago.

1676912755236.png

TripleT

Reaction score
Was originally a Chyrsler, ROI turned upside down along the way.

Josh

Reaction score
I agree... the Grand Commander could have been a game-changer for Belvidere. But that was like four years ago.

View attachment 7866
No, not the Grand Commander based off of the current Cherokee, the Commander/Meridian based off of the current Compass. CUSW is dead. A stretched SUSW can replace the current Cherokee/Grand Commander.

TripleT

Reaction score
I like the path they have choosen, a small Stla Large. The powertrain runs the proper direction for a SUV

Users who are viewing this thread