Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dodge’s Next-Gen Hurricane-Powered Muscle Cars Look To Out-Power Mustang!

Dodge’s Next-Gen Hurricane-Powered Muscle Cars Look To Out-Power Mustang!​

All-Aluminum Hurricane Inline-Six Engines Looks To Deliver More Power Than Ford In 2024...​

1672337727375.png

During the past several months, Dodge fans have been torn about the brand’s announcement to move towards electrification for its next-gen Dodge Challenger (LB) and Charger (LF) muscle cars. While electrification does open up a whole new possibility to performance for the two muscle car nameplates, diehard HEMI V8 fans have been vocal about their frustrations about Dodge’s decision to focus on e-motor-powered muscle cars over V8 ones.

TripleT

Reaction score
People haven't registered how awesome these engines are, yet.

JohnRogers

Reaction score
Robert S. Miller is a diehard Mopar enthusiast who lives and breathes all that is Mopar. The Michigander is not only a Co-Editor for MoparInsiders.com, 5thGenRams.com, and HDRams.com but an automotive photographer. He is an avid fan of offshore powerboat racing, which he travels the country to take part in.
Have you seen this fine machine at the Woodward Dream Cruise during the last five years? SC Lex.jpg

fedupfred674x3

Reaction score
Have you seen this fine machine at the Woodward Dream Cruise during the last five years? View attachment 7679
No i haven't had the pleasure of attending the races at woodward ave. However this unicorn of a car was Chryslers last attempt to sell a muscle car before filing for bankruptcy. I think its a 1978/79 Roadrunner / Volare' with a 360 4v, 4 speed and dual exhaust, 15x7's with side and rear louvers. I seem to recall Dodge did an Aspen R/T that wasn't anywhere as nice as this car pictured. They were throwing things together with parts that were originally engineered for performance but regulated to a point of being anemic instead of muscular. Big block Cordoba's called 300's, small block versions with restyled headlights called Magnums and Mirada's while people are having to ration gas with limits and certain days you could only by on, after Gas trippled in price almost overnight. Last insult was all us automakers had japanese partners chryslers was Mitsubishi and they put the name Challenger on the Sapporo. There was no stopping the inevitable at that point in time.a note of success late in the game was the little red express truck which still is a much desired muscle truck that was the fastest vehicle in 78 & 79.
The 1979 Roadrunner was not a big seller or crowd favorite like the Gen1 was, but when compared to what other Us manufacturers were producing at the time this was pretty cool car for its day and things do come back around after loosing favor with the masses.

fedupfred674x3

Reaction score

Dodge’s Next-Gen Hurricane-Powered Muscle Cars Look To Out-Power Mustang!​

All-Aluminum Hurricane Inline-Six Engines Looks To Deliver More Power Than Ford In 2024...​

View attachment 7676

During the past several months, Dodge fans have been torn about the brand’s announcement to move towards electrification for its next-gen Dodge Challenger (LB) and Charger (LF) muscle cars. While electrification does open up a whole new possibility to performance for the two muscle car nameplates, diehard HEMI V8 fans have been vocal about their frustrations about Dodge’s decision to focus on e-motor-powered muscle cars over V8 ones.

Being a dodge boy for 4 decades I know that it is hard for me to be pro mopar when it is no longer an American corporation. When they said they were going to comply with the other leemors and be all EV by 2035, it was the shot heard around the world that the feds are going to outlaw anything that burns fossil fuels making us all criminals and eco terrorists.
Before that rabbit hole becomes a black hole, the hemi owners might recall Chrysler has a history of abandoning their customers with not having enough parts made, but not continuing to develope and improve their products making them available to anyone with the means to buy one. 1971 last be year for me the Gen 2 hemi, Gen 1 was 59 in a street car . until 2005 when they introduced the Hemi to replace the v10 in their truck lines. So they have had the most successful car and truck sales ever thanks to the Hemi and the challenger, so whats the next move change a ruin the platform that brought you sucess, and leaving your previous customers frustrated and feeling abandoned.

bill burke

Reaction score
People at Dodge are not stupid, they know that current political policy is temporary and unattainable so it’s ICE for the future.
I agree these engines are seductively positioned to win hearts and minds and are truly the way forward for Dodge. They are the only way to keep Dodge hot and popular and electric is just a niche for decades, not a realistic full line alternative.
My first choice for my next Jeep would be a Hurricane.

fedupfred674x3

Reaction score
I was just reading the article where the Ceo of Stellantis was saying that the move to go EV is being driven by politicians and not the industry, but they are going to comply with the law and have already started converting factories and are merging with a company that will make hydrogen batteries/cells and are going to be spending 34 billion to not only convert but be a leader moving forward in hybid cars and EV's. So may be those at Dodge aren't stupid they are just prepping to do some Super Stupid things. I don't think they are thinking this is a trend like Disco that will go away when people come to their senses.

TripleT

Reaction score
I was just reading the article where the Ceo of Stellantis was saying that the move to go EV is being driven by politicians and not the industry, but they are going to comply with the law and have already started converting factories and are merging with a company that will make hydrogen batteries/cells and are going to be spending 34 billion to not only convert but be a leader moving forward in hybid cars and EV's. So may be those at Dodge aren't stupid they are just prepping to do some Super Stupid things. I don't think they are thinking this is a trend like Disco that will go away when people come to their senses.
Did you really just come here to complain about the regulatory reality the company has to adjust too? You are at the wrong place you need to be lobbying the politicians of the 15 state that have more than half the population. Does one really expect them to not sell to half the US population? And I got some other news for you it is not 2035(ban on ICE), it is 2028 that when the punitive taxes begin on ice engine vehicles. I know it is easy from armchair to make hard stand to abandon half the US population and nearly all of Western Europe. But that is recipe for bankruptcy. You really going to close all the dealership in 15 states?

In other news it was 1998 when Chrysler became foreign owned 1998, because Robert Eaton is a rube, but Fiat came in and saved the company right before it was closed and sold as parts.

More in Other News they have NOT abandoned ICE for those of us living free states, the New Hurricane engines obsolete the Hemi's. They are lighter by a lot, they are more efficient by a lot, they make more Horsepower, they have more room for tuning, they have less components, are better balanced, they are less complex to build.
No one who is true Dodge fan wants to pay more to go slower and buy more gas. Hemi on it own has compliance issue and you are sort of looking and 73' where they would have to be detuned to be compliant. Or ground up redesigned ..... Oh wait the new powerplant kick it butt. Problem solved

Now it awesome to have more active posters, but if one just want to use the platform as a place for complaint therapy, there are other fan sites that are pretty much dedicated to that activity and if you IM me I will send you a link.

Otherwise to summaries.

Foreign ownership since 1998, brief stint with a New York private equity group then nearly mothballed the company.

Zero emission vehicle sales are regulatory reality with over half the population 15 states starting with punitive taxes in 2028(that is product planned NOW) and full bans by 2035.

ICE engines are not being abandoned. The Hemi has compliance issues moving forward and are being obsoleted by a better powerplant the Hurricane engines.

This is the hand that has been dealt, but of all the cards the Hurricane is NOT a bad one.

patfromigh

Reaction score
There is an irony in the fact the US federal government has usurped local governments role in regards to zoning laws. Otherwise we would see some large US cities introduce zero emission zones and this would further restrict ICE power. There are some European municipalities which have such restrictions and some Latin American cities are considering this as well.

Could the Fed try to mandate low emission zones? I doubt they will, because too many US cities have empty downtown areas already. Because low emission zones are an established reality elsewhere there will be plugin hybrid Dodge muscle cars in the USA.

Products such as the Fiat 500e, the upcoming CDJR battery electrics and hybrids allow performance vehicles to continue in the face of severe government regulation. I want Stellantis to sell as many electrified vehicles as possible, because it will mean more muscle cars for others.

One other point here, if the new Toyota Prius is a success, I would expect something similar under the Chrysler brand.

TripleT

Reaction score
There is an irony in the fact the US federal government has usurped local governments role in regards to zoning laws. Otherwise we would see some large US cities introduce zero emission zones and this would further restrict ICE power. There are some European municipalities which have such restrictions and some Latin American cities are considering this as well.

Could the Fed try to mandate low emission zones? I doubt they will, because too many US cities have empty downtown areas already. Because low emission zones are an established reality elsewhere there will be plugin hybrid Dodge muscle cars in the USA.

Products such as the Fiat 500e, the upcoming CDJR battery electrics and hybrids allow performance vehicles to continue in the face of severe government regulation. I want Stellantis to sell as many electrified vehicles as possible, because it will mean more muscle cars for others.

One other point here, if the new Toyota Prius is a success, I would expect something similar under the Chrysler brand.
On a thread that should be about how awesome the new Hurricane is, we are again complaining about stuff that only can be fixed at the ballet box not on this forum, not at the board room, all they can do is adjust.

Toyota has pushed back as much as anyone but rest assure, they got their rears covered with EV products in the hopper also.

bill burke

Reaction score
Frustration abounds on this issue and the various factions with various opinions are going after good intentioned people, namely, each other. There is common ground beyond our frustrations and that ground is the power to choose in an open marketplace. Free market economics will prevail and the silent hand of capitalism will determine what happens, not laws, codes or mandates. Elections matter and some smart political opportunists will come along, seize the moment and feed the monster of frustrated citizens a big , fat, gas powered, carbon belching , noise making, powerful V-8 bone. This false narrative will implode, reality will dictate and the masses will be served. All electric, not now certainly, not ever, likely. Adam Smith knew this a long time ago. We must put faith in each other and our inbred, inherent right to choose.

JohnRogers

Reaction score
So when will we see this new lighter, more powerful, better looking, still with more than ample cabin and trunk space, Hurricane engined Challenger?

JohnRogers

Reaction score
That is not entirely true. The OE like this direction they're being pushed in.

TripleT

Reaction score
So when will we see this new lighter, more powerful, better looking, still with more than ample cabin and trunk space, Hurricane engined Challenger?
Better looking is subjective.

When they get done sell the old ones for 25 to 50 thousand over invoice.. they worked too damn hard to create the idea of scarcity

Last edited:

patfromigh

Reaction score
On a thread that should be about how awesome the new Hurricane is, we are again complaining about stuff that only can be fixed at the ballet box not on this forum, not at the board room, all they can do is adjust.

Toyota has pushed back as much as anyone but rest assure, they got their rears covered with EV products in the hopper also.
I welcome electrification and my post recognizes the battery electrics and hybrid products on the way are a good thing.

Yes, I know Toyota has EVs in the pipeline. Their battery electric Hi-lux really caught my attention, and there's little chance it will be sold in our market. At the other end of the pickup truck hierarchy, I would be perfectly happy to take the horsepower cut if Ram puts the Hurricane in the TRX. When I saw how the new six moves the LWG Grand Cherokee, the TRX was the first thing I thought of, because it is also a heavy and immense beast. I know I'm blaspheming here, but I think the high output Hurricane will be a happier daily driver than the supercharged Hemi.

TripleT

Reaction score
I welcome electrification and my post recognizes the battery electrics and hybrid products on the way are a good thing.

Yes, I know Toyota has EVs in the pipeline. Their battery electric Hi-lux really caught my attention, and there's little chance it will be sold in our market. At the other end of the pickup truck hierarchy, I would be perfectly happy to take the horsepower cut if Ram puts the Hurricane in the TRX. When I saw how the new six moves the LWG Grand Cherokee, the TRX was the first thing I thought of, because it is also a heavy and immense beast. I know I'm blaspheming here, but I think the high output Hurricane will be a happier daily driver than the supercharged Hemi.
It will and there is plenty of room in the engine, Look at the CATX.... Shows that there is a CAT4 and CAT5 possible. PHEV version of the CAT3 would outperform the thirsty HellCat.

On the Blasphemy line. This is in no way to convince people the new powertrain is a winner until they get experience with it. New scares people you have people trying to convince you that an MDS V engine with eight cylinders 2 heads, is simplier engine then straight six... because it has some fancy plumbing on the intakes and exhaust. I seen this series engine undress amazingly compact and simply

patfromigh

Reaction score
With what I'm about to say I'm not mocking the Wagoneer. I really like them. especially after spending a lot of quality wheel time in a few. It is basically a family hauler. The fact that the Hurricane six enables a LWB Grand Wagoneer to haul as , err, hay is an added bonus. The Challenger won't be treated as a family hauler and I suspect there will be some tweaks from the Hurricane which is mainly expected to do grocery runs in the Wagoneer. I just remembered when the "Power Chiller" was the big news announcement. That same technology can be applied to a turbocharged six cylinder. The difference now is that such items can be used with a 48 volt electric system instead of only 12 volts. So the Hurricane powered muscle cars possibly could have more efficient and potent Power Chiller and After-Run Chiller systems in the mix. Even the radiator cooling fans can be upgrading to 48 volts.

A Wagoneer would look silly with hood scoop like the Red-Eye Challengers use, but the scoops will allow a Hurricane powered Challenger to be cool in every sense of the word.

Users who are viewing this thread