Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SPOTTED: 2023 Dodge Hornet C-SUV Prototype!

SPOTTED: 2023 Dodge Hornet C-SUV Prototype!​

The New Dodge Is Now Testing With 21-Inch Wheels...​

1654405055681.pngboc

Just a few weeks ago, we saw our first spy photos of the 2023 Dodge Hornet (GG) testing stateside. The new Hornet is the corporate twin to the all-new 2023 Alfa Romeo Tonale. Both C-segment crossovers will be built in Italy, at the Stellantis Pomigliano d’Arco Assembly Plant.

Set to make its debut in August, the new Hornet will be the Dodge brand’s first electrified vehicle. Offering a plug-in hybrid (PHEV) model, the Hornet will pave the way for an entire lineup of electrified options from the American performance brand.

BWS

Reaction score
What a yawn. This could be anything. Toyota Chevy Hyundai Kia. Absolutely nothing style wise to set it apart. I’m sure they will sell like crazy though. After all, it’s an SUV right?

JasonB

Reaction score
A Hornet with a GME-T4 Stelvio engine should be fun.
Dress it up for the North American market inside and out, a nice set of shift paddles and it will do well.

bill burke

Reaction score
I’m a Dodge muscle head and the Hornet 🐝 would not be my choice for a ride, but in that same venue, one should not discount the significance of this Dodge. The Hornet 🐝 is fundamental to our muscle brands future because not only is it totally forward looking in its basic architecture, this advanced architecture was importantly developed consistent with Stellantis engineering policy and its deep pockets engineering investment that FCA and certainly Dodge could never afford. Could Alfa Romeo alone afford this vehicle on its own, of course not. In addition, this new SUV was a hard pill for Alfa Romeo to swallow I am sure, but the Hornet establishes a precedent of linkage between Alfa and Dodge, one that considering their similar performance heritage, can only produce great vehicles for both and Stellantis will make sure it continues if simply based on the scale of development investment over two brands both need to survive and prosper.
Indeed, the Hornet, styling wise, could have been better, more distinctive, I’m a bit disappointed too, but from every other perspective, it is beyond important and exciting. I see AR developing performance platforms in Italy, Dodge larger ones in the States and both brands will reap the benefits with their own styling interpretation. This statement might not be exactly the play out of this corporate policy, but the Hornet 🐝 almost guarantees a strong future for Dodge and its performance orient product line. That should put Hornet critics a little more at ease and accepting with its modest short comings, You can’t deny the significance of what lies beneath the surface, a future.

vdizzle12

Reaction score
Not sure why they even bothered with the camo, we already know what the Alfa version looks like and this seems to be almost exactly the same. I thought we were past the days of car companies just swapping out lights, front grilles and emblems then calling it a day. Just lazy.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
They need to ditch those rims for the production version.

TripleT

Reaction score
Not sure why they even bothered with the camo, we already know what the Alfa version looks like and this seems to be almost exactly the same. I thought we were past the days of car companies just swapping out lights, front grilles and emblems then calling it a day. Just lazy.
Welcome to Pepe Le Cheapskates PSA 2.0 but with 10 times the dealerships for CDJR and how far apart they are from most people the chances 2 part beside each other is slim.

TripleT

Reaction score
Welcome to Pepe Le Cheapskates PSA 2.0 but with 10 times the dealerships for CDJR than Alfa and how far apart they are from most people the chances 2 park beside each other is slim. And now at least CDJR will know how to service the Alfas

Mike201

Reaction score
I am assuming they think this rebadge will sell well because of its Italian roots and the name Dodge Hornet slapped on it. Remember in 2 years the Durango will be growing. The Hornet will be a small SUV. Dodge will have NOTHING in the midsize SUV market. We really needed a replacement for the Journey! The more I see the new Mexican Journey, the more I like it. As a Dodge boy the wife and I really wanted a midsize Dodge SUV, but had to settle for Jeep Cherokee. As much as we like it, it’s still just a bit smaller than we wanted. Either Dodge gets all the way in the SUV market with 3 sizes or get totally out and just turn over the new full size Durango to Ram for marketing along side the pick ups. Leave the Mopar suvs to Jeep. The is unacceptable. The Hornet just doesn’t cut it but itself in the line up.

TripleT

Reaction score
There are more coming don't get too excited a Mid sized dodge will likely replace 300 in the Capacity. Airflow with supplement the declining Minivan market and share that capacity. There will then be capacity room for a 3rd Dodge SUV in the Jeep capacity that make the GC.

pumadog

Reaction score
Welcome to Pepe Le Cheapskates PSA 2.0 but with 10 times the dealerships for CDJR and how far apart they are from most people the chances 2 part beside each other is slim.
I didn't know Mike Manley was called Pepe Le Cheapskate. I'm sure the design was frozen, supplier contracts were signed when Stellantis was born.

TripleT

Reaction score
I didn't know Mike Manley was called Pepe Le Cheapskate. I'm sure the design was frozen, supplier contracts were signed when Stellantis was born.
Nah that level of product planning just takes a half scale develoment and can be done in just a calendar year, it more like mid cycle refresh. DIdn't match the product planning under FCA.

TripleT

Reaction score
It's not typical for PSA to build twins. Technical yes, but not the design. I wish this was just a mule!
They do Coach work changes but some are very close .... they build a range across the diverse branding while often distinctive sometimes it subtle. I kid of get it though... With how sparse Alfa network in North America there is real diminishing return to NA market and making the Vehicles truly distinctive. Alfa would have to sell 10 for every 1 that a CDJR would sell and lets be honest volume isn't really a thing at the Alfa dealers I have been too. They very much treat it as a Semi-exotic.

Mastertech63

Reaction score
I have been driving my Dart since 2013, want to replace it with a small DODGE SUV, bought my wife a Renegade in 2016. Durango is larger than I need, don't want another jeep. This Hornet should fill the bill. Since 1983 I have driven only Dodge vehicles, can't end the streak!

TripleT

Reaction score
You can thank Manley for this lazy work.
You work with the budget your given. This has not been Manley approach or the approach from FCA in over a decade. This has Pepe Le Cheapskate written all over it, in fact the entire GG program has been de-contented from the moment they took the reins, the Tonale was supposed to be full of exotic metal replacement components level 2 lightening and in the end it a styling exercise on the SUSW.

pumadog

Reaction score
You work with the budget your given. This has not been Manley approach or the approach from FCA in over a decade.
So what about the Chrysler/Dodge minivan, even selling one product (Pacifica/Voyager) twice under the same brand? What about the Fiat Tipo/Dodge Neon? I don't remember when the Chrysler/Lancia fiasco ended … PSA did this only for commercial vans, like everyone else.

TripleT

Reaction score
So what about the Chrysler/Dodge minivan, even selling one product (Pacifica/Voyager) twice under the same brand? What about the Fiat Tipo/Dodge Neon? I don't remember when the Chrysler/Lancia fiasco ended … PSA did this only for commercial vans, like everyone else.

We know why the Voyager is a sub-model, Tipo and Neon are not sold in the same markets, and either were Lacia and Chryslers. Commercial van in Europe?? Why is that even a subject.

Users who are viewing this thread