Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Low Down On The Latest Information About A Smaller Ram Pickup!

The Low Down On The Latest Information About A Smaller Ram Pickup!​

Be Prepared To Wait For A Midsize, A Compact Truck Could Arrive In 2023...​

1649203101835.png

Last month, our good friends over at the Brazilian-based automotive site, Auto Segredos (Auto Secrets) posted some interesting new information about an upcoming compact pickup from Ram called “Project 291”. Since then, the interwebs have spiraled out of control, with false rumors and information about a new “Dakota” truck or midsized offering.

So we figured we would go over the detail that we know, as well as what to expect about the future of smaller Ram pickup offerings.

bill burke

Reaction score
Perhaps I am reading more into this than I should, yes I tend to that, but my read on Project 291 is a more involved theory. In the article there is recognition that Ram in Latin America, to expand its market can no longer rely only on re-badged Fiats. Indeed the architecture, platform and manufacturing of new generation Rams will be shared with Fiat, but those Rams will be wider, longer, have greater capacity and more upscale ergonomics. It will be designed and built with not only Latin America in mind, but the North American market also. This may be fuzzy wishful thinking, but there is enough tidbits here to speculate on and entertain folks on the possibilities. Fact is this wish could be the quality compact truck quick fix that meets American standards Ram needs ASAP. That’s my tea leaves assessment anyway.

LordHobbit

Reaction score
Oh if only they would make it very similar to my '92 Dakota. That is the most useful vehicle I have ever used let alone owned. I think the current mid-size pickups are too tall. My Dakota is just right.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh if only they would make it very similar to my '92 Dakota. That is the most useful vehicle I have ever used let alone owned. I think the current mid-size pickups are too tall. My Dakota is just right.

1997 to 2004 Dodge Dakota was the perfect truck IMO

justbekuz

Reaction score
Blah Blah Blah.... Whatever someone is trying to sell you, The 'new' 700 appears to be in the continuing update mode as the basics of this model is an off shoot of the Strada and Toro that have been in test mule status around the Chelsa Proving Grounds for the past eight years! Perhaps this might poorly match up against the Maverick but in no way would the 700 be a Ranger competitor! I dont think the US is ready for a Latin model thats been around for a few years with new lipstick!

patfromigh

Reaction score
I doubt the Ram 700/Fiat Strada will ever be available north of the Rio Grande. It is based of FCA's mini platform. The Toro is on the SUSW platform along with the Jeep Compass. Project 291 will most likely be Ford Maverick sized. The Ford Maverick shares its platform with the Escape and Bronco Sport. The Maverick has a 121" wheelbase and is 199 inches overall. The Dakota redesign in 1997 had a 119" wheelbase and was 197 inches overall for the regular cab, short box model.

For reference the first generation Dakota had a 112/124 wheelbase and had an overall length of 186/204 inches overall for shortbox/longbox regular cabs.

We won't see Brazilian built products here because of the logistics involved. This has been pointed out many times on these threads. That said, the Jeep Compass has been a success in North America despite (or maybe because of) its Latin American influence.

Users who are viewing this thread