Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FCA’s Monostable Shifter Lawsuit Is Scheduled To Go To Trial!

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score

FCA’s Monostable Shifter Lawsuit Is Scheduled To Go To Trial!​

There Is Still Questions From Both Sides About The Situation...​

1649483999752.png

A Federal District Judge on Monday issued a decision that says owners of certain Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep® vehicles can proceed with their class-action lawsuit against Stellantis (FCA US, LLC) for some 266 rollaway crashes and 68 injuries caused by the controversial monostable shifter, found on 8-speed automatic transmissions from 2012 to 2015. The real question is, did FCA US, LLC know about the situation and continue to the vehicles anyway?

TripleT

Reaction score
Its in my Stelvio now... this makes American look bad.

bill burke

Reaction score
Had this shifter in my 300 and in truth, it took a bit of practice to get comfortable with. I think my son had the same shifter in his BMW and he had similar issues and coached me on its use. The fix at that pre-recall time was very deliberate engagement in Park, which you could not feel by unconscious motion and a double check. Did I ever have a distracted oversight with it ? Sadly yes, my bad and the concerns in this legal action are possibly justified by my personal experiences. Wish it were not so. Designers going forward need to not assume average people are competent enough to overcome inherent issues of safety. Call it engineering for dummies. Their bad.

RamRebelRouser

Reaction score
Is it just me, or have we let stupid take over? If you have problems with that style of shifter, I'd love to see you try to so much as start a vehicle from the 1920s or 30s... no wonder the older generations are always so dissapointed in those that follow! And now they want to be rewarded for being stupid on top of if. If I was a Stelantis lawyer, I'd be bringing a counter suit up against the plaintiffs for being too stupid to let live, let alone drive!

TripleT

Reaction score
It like the unintended acceleration. You can't make anything Stupid Proof. It was a ZF design that people in Europe seem to be able to handle. Are Americans dumber than Europeans? Don't answer that.

Users who are viewing this thread