Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

There Will NOT Be A Hurricane Plug-In Hybrid, After All!

There Will NOT Be A Hurricane Plug-In Hybrid, After All!​

Grand Wagoneer Will Instead Go Battery Electric...​

1648692184105.png

With the introduction of its all-new twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter “Hurricane” inline-six-cylinder engines, Stellantis North America (FCA US) looks to continue to offer an alternative to electrification in its larger vehicle offerings in the North American marketplace. This past week, FCA US gave us a brief look at their new dynamic duo of Hurricane or “GME-T6” offerings, with both standard-output (S.O.) and high-output (H.O.) versions being announced.

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
This is a good move and anticipating the market trends for when this will be launched in the market. PHEV sales are stagnating and BEV sales are increasing.
This makes sure that the Grand Cherokee will accompany market trends while preventing dumping dollars into making a complex system that won't bring enough sales to justify investment. Notice how I didn't mention anything about the engineering merits behind this decision? Yes, there might've been a number of potential costumers for PHEVs but by 2024 or 2025 that number will be dwarfed by the number of costumers looking at pure BEVs.

By doing this, Stellantis is firmly planting the Grand Cherokee as the BEV of choice against Rivian, Tesla or any model that comes from Ford or GM's camp.
Just one doubt: PHEVs were discarded, but what about MHEVs?

bill burke

Reaction score
I agree. Give me gas powered vehicles and millions who agree with me are the future. People have figured this hoax out and will shop accordingly. CO2 crisis is manufactured and pragmatic environmental action and economically sound intervention will prevail eventually not hysteria without real evidence. All electric a rabbit hole for the auto industry. Right decision.

patfromigh

Reaction score
Ram Trucks has to consider their commercial and fleet buyers as well as the retail market. I think it would be a mistake not to offer a PHEV option in Ram pickuo trucks. A Hurricane plugin hybrid would be a great drive train for the Power Wagon.

It makes great business sense to have the Wagoneer and Ram 1500 battery electric vehicles to share as much engineering and parts as practical. I would assume they are doing this. From what I've sen from the concepts, both vehicles are targeted towards retail purchasing consumers. I don't know if Wagoneer buyers would miss having a PHEV option.

UN4GTBL

Reaction score
Disappointing, but likely would have been in a vehicle that was out of my budget anyways lol

Hoping for a KM 4xe, but who knows.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
This is a disappointment. Didn't the CEO just say how hybrid is actually better/cheaper a few weeks ago?

Unless there will be some very rapid charging options in the very near future spread all over the country, and i'm talking <15 minutes to go from 10-20% up to as near as 100% that full BEVs allow, this is a terrible decision. Not to mention the higher taxes coming for BEVs to supplement the lost tax revenue from ICE, and the increased costs of electricity due to higher demand.

Oh well, i guess ICE or mild hybrids will still be around for a while on Ram / waganeer / upcoming durango. Or i can buy a tahoe.

Moparound

Reaction score
I have refrained from posting for a long time as I never wish to speak against another or their dreams and/or wishes. But, this whole BEV/EV, etc. is just mind boggling. Am sure the whole topic has been beat to death. So, I'll just say this and move on: Current(pun intended)BEV's are NOT for me. When the electrical grid is able to withstand the additional load, when the cost of electricity does not become the new "gas market", when batteries are easily replaceable, when batteries are affordable, when I can charge my vehicle to more than 70% of full charge within 3-8 minutes, when a rebuildable or biodegradable/disposable battery is created the environment is not at risk by adding battery dumping grounds like the nuclear waste ones(which by the way is being promoted as "clean energy" as well, maybe I'll be interested. Call me a dinosaur, it's perfectly fine with me. I get it. BEV = no antifreeze, oil/filers, etc, but those chemicals can be recycled. Most batteries cannot.

Keeping ICE and waiting for something better that what is being brought to market. Not buying into it. Write me off.

UN4GTBL

Reaction score
There will be two different versions of KM according to my sources. KM74 (Cherokee) will be offered as a BEV and ICE.

No hybrid option at all, or is that available with the ICE version?

BEV is a non starter for me.

patfromigh

Reaction score
I suspect with the success of the 4Xe Wrangler, Stellantis has to be considering more plugin hybrids. Stellantis is partnered with ZF for the rear drive based PHEV system and the next gen of the 8-speed offers a P2 mild hybrid. Hopefully, only the hybrid version of the Hurricane is in doubt and not various future plugin hybrid offerings with other IC engines. The Hemi PHEV Ram pickup project from last decade was larger and more extensive than the 1960s Turbine car project. What ever became of that?

That said, right now I can't afford any of the hybrids Stellantis is currently offering in North America. I can afford a Ford Maverick hybrid.

Users who are viewing this thread