Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Could This Jeep® “Junior”-Based Pickup Design Take On Ford’s Maverick?

Could This Jeep® “Junior”-Based Pickup Design Take On Ford’s Maverick?​

Digital Designer Shows Potential Of New All-Electric Jeep SUV...​

1646719042862.png

Last week, during Stellantis’ “Dare Forward 2030” strategic plan presentation, Carlos Tavares, Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Stellantis, revealed images of the first-ever 100% battery-electric Jeep® SUV, as the brand continues its global initiatives toward the full electrification of its SUV portfolio. The unnamed vehicle (internally known as the Jeep Junior), will officially be launched in the first half of next year.

bill burke

Reaction score
Interesting design, but I doubt its viability. The glaring issue though, is that Stellantis desperately needs compact and mid-size trucks, like yesterday, and a platform, preferably shared with non-truck products, plus a facility to build them. Almost anything one can conceive on paper to fill that need is a legitimate case for these trucks. I believe it is the sharing/building issue holding up the needed trucks and not the lack of candidates for something immediate or in planning. Once the various pieces can be put in place, then I am sure all the speculation will put to rest, but the delay is stifling.

patfromigh

Reaction score
Interesting design, but I doubt its viability. The glaring issue though, is that Stellantis desperately needs compact and mid-size trucks, like yesterday, and a platform, preferably shared with non-truck products, plus a facility to build them. Almost anything one can conceive on paper to fill that need is a legitimate case for these trucks. I believe it is the sharing/building issue holding up the needed trucks and not the lack of candidates for something immediate or in planning. Once the various pieces can be put in place, then I am sure all the speculation will put to rest, but the delay is stifling.
I agree with almost everything stated, except the last part about the delay. The pandemic has slowed the retooling of Toluca, but even then we don't know if any of the FCA originated small pickups would be built there. The Ford Maverick is alleged to be in production, but try finding one. The microchip shortage has hit Ford just as hard as the Stellantis brands. After the initial small batch of hybrid Mavericks, there will be no more built with that powertrain until the 2023 models go into production this fall. Most likely, if Jeep or Ram had a Maverick competitor in production last week, it would be like the Compass with major refreshing of everything except for under the hood. I don't know what the sales figures for the Ford Maverick are, but right now AWD with the 2 liter EB is the only drivetrain available.

My take on the artist's concept is this. The junior Jeep will be tiny, and a pickup truck based on it would be as small or smaller than the recently redone Fiat Strada. The Strada is too small to play here. A Ram 1200 is under development and would be a much better fit. Will they sell it here?

Bob O.

Reaction score
Agreed, what is the hold up on at least a MID SIZED DAKOTA?? I just leased another Chevy Colorado, nice truck but wish a RAM DAKOTA was available.. come on..

TripleT

Reaction score
Meanwhile Ram outsells Chevy in full size segment....... hmmmm ........ quick question those who want a Dakota, will you pay the same price as a 1500? because it will cost maybe with development a little more to manufacture. Asking for a French friend of mine.

patfromigh

Reaction score
Meanwhile Ram outsells Chevy in full size segment....... hmmmm ........ quick question those who want a Dakota, will you pay the same price as a 1500? because it will cost maybe with development a little more to manufacture. Asking for a French friend of mine.
Thanks for bring up the price factor.

I know, lets build a midsize truck off the new Jeep Grand Cherokee. Gas is 4 Bucks per gallon as I write this, so this midsize should offer the same 4Xe option as the GC. What is the base price of the Grand Cherokee with 4Xe? Ouch!:eek: Never mind, the next Jeep to get the 4Xe option is the Gladiator. (Can't afford that one either.)

I don't know what the status of the retooling for the next generation 8-speed is, a lot has to be done. There is a rumored mild hybrid option far more advanced than the current BSG used in Ram trucks. People are willing to pay big money for full size trucks and the next hybrids should minimize any fuel economy differences between midsize and full size pickups.

TripleT

Reaction score
Price and Cost are different things.... but yeah. I get that people want a more garagable truck. But is that the factor or are they look for something more affordable? Because the latter is unlikely. Now a small lifestyle pickup that would compete with Maverick, would be WAY more affordable because it mostly is already developed just needs powertrain, front styling, and appropriately appointed.

WhiteBuffalo

Reaction score
I was thinking of a more Grand Cherokee based truck when the Gladiator was first announced, so seeing this has me hoping for a J-series inspired truck again. Here’s to the next-gen Honcho!

bill burke

Reaction score
Good valid question. I believe, price will not be THE major factor, but size may be more of a decider. Ram may choose a low MSRP base price at cost to draw shoppers and then count on the add on options most will select to build the profit margin. Just too big a market to ignore. Think the whole Dakota thing will be a domestic Ram product, though I feel a Fiat spin-off truck could be offered as a compact. Hope the Dakota comes soon.

AlexB

Reaction score
Good valid question. I believe, price will not be THE major factor, but size may be more of a decider. Ram may choose a low MSRP base price at cost to draw shoppers and then count on the add on options most will select to build the profit margin. Just too big a market to ignore. Think the whole Dakota thing will be a domestic Ram product, though I feel a Fiat spin-off truck could be offered as a compact. Hope the Dakota comes soon.
Is it a segment that can contribute to 15%-20% margins? That’s the question, as there been no affect on Mopar marketshare.

Users who are viewing this thread