Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stellantis Halts Production Of It’s Jeep® Cherokee For The Rest Of October!

Stellantis Halts Production Of It’s Jeep® Cherokee For The Rest Of October!​

Semiconductors Stop Production Of The Jeep Midsize Once Again...​

1634077749985.png

It appears that Stellantis’ Belvidere Assembly Plant in Illinois will continue to be shut down throughout the rest of the month of October due to the ongoing semiconductor shortage. Stellantis confirmed the decision earlier this week and United Auto Workers (UAW) employees were notified by their representatives.

Last edited by a moderator:

bill burke

Reaction score
There is nothing fundamentally wrong with the engineering of Cherokee, in fact, it’s a very good SUV, it’s just needs to be reinvented. It’s hard to admit that sometimes mistakes are made and sizing, equipping and engineering two vehicles so close in so many ways creates a conflict problem for one, in this case it is Cherokee. The global winner is Compass for a number of good reasons including global investment. The news that Jeep is hard at work on a new Cherokee hopefully involves a “reinvention” that solves the conflict and overlap. I have often on this site championed a few solutions, based on over six years of satisfying Cherokee ownership, including going wider, longer and rear wheel drive with the next generation. Cherokee can not succeed in its present configuration, as good as it might be, and the development team must eat some crow, not for a job done badly, but for two jobs done well a bit too simarlar. Redemption lies in a Cherokee reinvention that is substantial and fundamental. Tinkering around the margins would only exasperate the situation and sink all their past effort unnecessarily. A plausible solution may just be found right here from some guy blowing smoke on a chat site, especially if you can’t see the forest from the trees. Of course this self flattery is silly though entertaining but I believe there is enough armchair insight here that needs consideration. “Reinvent or perish” may just be a slogan that opens eyes and bares fruit that saves Cherokee.

patfromigh

Reaction score
It's the chip shortage. We have a lot of Cherokees and Compasses in our fleet. I spend a lot of time behind the wheel of both, even though its only for short distances most of the time. If Jeep management wanted too, they could create trim and option packages which can easily differentiate the Cherokee from the Compass. This can be done simply by dropping the lower trim levels and the 2.4 liter Tigershark four cylinder. The remaining Cherokee engines would be the GME 2.0 liter turbo four and the V6.

I don't know if the Ford Escape is being produced or not at this moment. All I know is we have stopped getting them and they are in short supply. The Bronco Sport supply is also drying up. I don't think its just the Jeep Cherokee.

Mike201

Reaction score
There is nothing fundamentally wrong with the engineering of Cherokee, in fact, it’s a very good SUV, it’s just needs to be reinvented. It’s hard to admit that sometimes mistakes are made and sizing, equipping and engineering two vehicles so close in so many ways creates a conflict problem for one, in this case it is Cherokee. The global winner is Compass for a number of good reasons including global investment. The news that Jeep is hard at work on a new Cherokee hopefully involves a “reinvention” that solves the conflict and overlap. I have often on this site championed a few solutions, based on over six years of satisfying Cherokee ownership, including going wider, longer and rear wheel drive with the next generation. Cherokee can not succeed in its present configuration, as good as it might be, and the development team must eat some crow, not for a job done badly, but for two jobs done well a bit too simarlar. Redemption lies in a Cherokee reinvention that is substantial and fundamental. Tinkering around the margins would only exasperate the situation and sink all their past effort unnecessarily. A plausible solution may just be found right here from some guy blowing smoke on a chat site, especially if you can’t see the forest from the trees. Of course this self flattery is silly though entertaining but I believe there is enough armchair insight here that needs consideration. “Reinvent or perish” may just be a slogan that opens eyes and bares fruit that saves Cherokee.

Mike201

Reaction score
Bill I agree on the reinventing. I think you said it in another replay that the currant Grand Cherokee should be come the new Cherokee, since the new ones are bigger and more pricey. We traded in our 2008 Chrysler 300 last year for an off lease 2017 Cherokee. Our intent was a Grand Cherokee (for the room), but it was well out of out affordability range. My wife was on the fence due to its size, being smaller than the 300, but the deal we were given we could not pass up. So far we love it, do wish it was bigger.
The Compass and Cherokee seem to be very close, but to me the Compass seems to "cheap" compare to the Cherokee. I do hope the new Cherokee is bigger than the current one, and also affordable for someone who wants to get into a Jeep SUV, but cant afford the steep price of the new Grand Cherokees or the Grand Wagoneer's. We are not all wealthy and Jeep need to realize that. Not all middle class can drop 30 grand plus in a full size SUV, but we also don't want puddle jumpers like the Compass and Renagade. Your reinventing of the Cherokee sounds like a GREAT idea than Jeep can use!

bill burke

Reaction score
It's the chip shortage. We have a lot of Cherokees and Compasses in our fleet. I spend a lot of time behind the wheel of both, even though its only for short distances most of the time. If Jeep management wanted too, they could create trim and option packages which can easily differentiate the Cherokee from the Compass. This can be done simply by dropping the lower trim levels and the 2.4 liter Tigershark four cylinder. The remaining Cherokee engines would be the GME 2.0 liter turbo four and the V6.

I don't know if the Ford Escape is being produced or not at this moment. All I know is we have stopped getting them and they are in short supply. The Bronco Sport supply is also drying up. I don't think its just the Jeep Cherokee.
My main reason personally for selecting the Cherokee, twice, was the V-6 engine. Since that is an existing difference, trim options alone will not do the trick. Jeep has built its reputation on capibility and rear wheel drive and cargo capacity needs to be fundamental to the solution. The FWD similarities and Jeep cultural imoage vagueness with Cherokee as almost a Compass clone really hurts. People will spend more for a downsized Grand Cherokee like product than for an up priced Compass like product. Too many priced out Grand Cherokee loyalists can now hopefully stay with Jeep with this solution. Hard medicine, especially since the easy way is too easy but sadly, as evidence dictates, won’t work. Reinvent.

TripleT

Reaction score

Nope Escape plant is not running... if they get chips it goes to the truck plant

If ONE considering this anything other than a supply chain issue and priority to higher margin products your wrong.

Last edited:

patfromigh

Reaction score
Nope Escape plant is not running... if they get chips it goes to the truck plant

If your considering this anything other than a supply chain issue and priority to higher margin products your wrong.
I wasn't. Things are just crazy in our fleet and we're in better shape than the usual suspect name brands. "Here is your Nissan. Take it of leave it."

TripleT

Reaction score
I should have used "one" I was speaking to those who might..... its the chips folks

bill burke

Reaction score
I should have used "one" I was speaking to those who might..... its the chips folks
Indeed, to condemn the Cherokee because of a chip shortage is too narrow to be fair or accurate. But to attribute it’s slowly shrinking sales to chips alone is to ignore the conflicts and shortcomings pointed out as long term issues. I will not repeat my position on the subject, (thanks Willy) but it does have merit and emperical evidence. I see Cherokee being too close to Compass and not close enough to Grand Cherokee and I salivate over that sweet, lucrative niche abandoned by the new Grand Cherokee, maybe an inch or two shorter than the outgoing GC, which is so ripe for exploitation. To underpin that thinking, remember, the new GC is built off the Stelvio platform and there is much manufacturing capacity built in to that decision. What better way to fully utilize that asset and that capacity than with a downsized Grand Cherokee as the new Cherokee that overcomes its few findamental flaws, interior space, cargo capacity, off road capability and that persona of reflecting traditional Jeep attributes in a mid-sized package. The current Cherokee is fine, the one proposed is better. Reinvent!

Last edited:

TripleT

Reaction score
OH GOOD LORD...... To take the opportunity to tear down a product at the end of it life cycle because of the Chip shortage is plain silly.

It could be the Escape that just got a refresh and suffered because of it.

AlexB

Reaction score
Indeed, to condemn the Cherokee because of a chip shortage is too narrow to be fair or accurate. But to attribute it’s slowly shrinking sales to chips alone is to ignore the conflicts and shortcomings pointed out as long term issues. I will not repeat my position on the subject, (thanks Willy) but it does have merit and emperical evidence. I see Cherokee being too close to Compass and not close enough to Grand Cherokee and I salivate over that sweet, lucrative niche abandoned by the new Grand Cherokee, maybe an inch or two shorter than the outgoing GC, which is so ripe for exploitation. To underpin that thinking, remember, the new GC is built off the Stelvio platform and there is much manufacturing capacity built in to that decision. What better way to fully utilize that asset and that capacity than with a downsized Grand Cherokee as the new Cherokee that overcomes its few findamental flaws, interior space, cargo capacity, off road capability and that persona of reflecting traditional Jeep attributes in a mid-sized package. The current Cherokee is fine, the one proposed is better. Reinvent!
The short comings of Cherokee have nothing to do with current situation. The chip shortage means priority goes to higher pricing and selling products.

Second, as I stated in another post, you figure out the extra RAM Plant first and worry about Cherokee later.
The biggest thing Carlos can do for North American finances is another (at least) 300,000 RAM’s.

AlexB

Reaction score
Bill I agree on the reinventing. I think you said it in another replay that the currant Grand Cherokee should be come the new Cherokee, since the new ones are bigger and more pricey. We traded in our 2008 Chrysler 300 last year for an off lease 2017 Cherokee. Our intent was a Grand Cherokee (for the room), but it was well out of out affordability range. My wife was on the fence due to its size, being smaller than the 300, but the deal we were given we could not pass up. So far we love it, do wish it was bigger.
The Compass and Cherokee seem to be very close, but to me the Compass seems to "cheap" compare to the Cherokee. I do hope the new Cherokee is bigger than the current one, and also affordable for someone who wants to get into a Jeep SUV, but cant afford the steep price of the new Grand Cherokees or the Grand Wagoneer's. We are not all wealthy and Jeep need to realize that. Not all middle class can drop 30 grand plus in a full size SUV, but we also don't want puddle jumpers like the Compass and Renagade. Your reinventing of the Cherokee sounds like a GREAT idea than Jeep can use!
This may be little harsh, but you are not target of FCA/Stellantis product direction in North America since 2015. You complaining about $30,000+ when the Company is heading towards Low-Mid $50,000 pricing.

Before the Chip Shortage the Company Average price was $45,000.$45,000 is before all the new technology gets introduce on the market place such as PHEV/EV.

Mike201

Reaction score
This may be little harsh, but you are not target of FCA/Stellantis product direction in North America since 2015. You complaining about $30,000+ when the Company is heading towards Low-Mid $50,000 pricing.

Before the Chip Shortage the Company Average price was $45,000.$45,000 is before all the new technology gets introduce on the market place such as PHEV/EV.
How is this harsh? I could not touch a Used 3 year old Grand Cherokee for under $30K. I know new ones are even more. This was just as the chip problem came to light and pricing issues had not hit the car market yet. I am sorry but other brands, whom I do not like, have similar SUV's for less. Most of which are built over seas and shipped here. So we make the Jeeps in our own back yard and can't afford one to put in my driveway? My 3 yr old Cherokee set me back $25K. How is a 3 year old Jeep still $25K? btw I make GOOD money, but have a mortgage and I am putting 2 kids through college. I fell many Americans are in my boat, and yet we can't get in a new vehicle unless you have no kids or make 200K plus a year. Sorry it was not like that 25 years ago. Vehicle prices, (pre covid) have ballooned way to fast since 2000.

AlexB

Reaction score
How is this harsh? I could not touch a Used 3 year old Grand Cherokee for under $30K. I know new ones are even more. This was just as the chip problem came to light and pricing issues had not hit the car market yet. I am sorry but other brands, whom I do not like, have similar SUV's for less. Most of which are built over seas and shipped here. So we make the Jeeps in our own back yard and can't afford one to put in my driveway? My 3 yr old Cherokee set me back $25K. How is a 3 year old Jeep still $25K? btw I make GOOD money, but have a mortgage and I am putting 2 kids through college. I fell many Americans are in my boat, and yet we can't get in a new vehicle unless you have no kids or make 200K plus a year. Sorry it was not like that 25 years ago. Vehicle prices, (pre covid) have ballooned way to fast since 2000.
Then hold on to your Jeep until its no longer operational. Because with new Technology like EV powertrains, vehicles will not get more cheaper as time moves on.
Stellantis in North America will center around the $50,000 so the company can have great profitability.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread