Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is The New Jeep® Grand Cherokee (WL) More Of A Spiritual Successor To The Grand Wagoneer (SJ)?

Is The New Jeep® Grand Cherokee (WL) More Of A Spiritual Successor To The Grand Wagoneer (SJ)?​

We Think So...​

1632730132753.png

With the iconic Wagoneer nameplate returning to production for the 2022 model year, a lot of people have been talking about how nostalgia will play a factor in the new full-size SUVs’ role within the Jeep lineup. We know Jeep® is marketing the Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer as the ultimate premium extension of the American brand, by its series of touching marketing campaigns aimed to tug on the childhood memories of many fans of its original Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer (SJ) models. But if you are a true SJ diehard like myself, you know that the all-new Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer are a far different cry from the original SJ vehicles.

Last edited by a moderator:

JeepBen

Reaction score
All this article did make me even more aware of the huge gap in product. Jeep really needs a fixed metal roof solid axle 4x4 that doesn't have Wrangler styling. Something designed where the body panels don't hang so low, the suspension is capable of keeping the wheels in contact with the ground so electronics aren't needed to keep it moving forward.

thatjerryguy

Reaction score
What Jeep should develop is a worthy, RWD-based successor to the Cherokee XJ, but sized like the original ZJ, slotted in between the FWD Compass and the 2-row Grand Cherokee. That would give Jeep a truly unique offering in the compact SUV/CUV segment.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
All this article did make me even more aware of the huge gap in product. Jeep really needs a fixed metal roof solid axle 4x4 that doesn't have Wrangler styling. Something designed where the body panels don't hang so low, the suspension is capable of keeping the wheels in contact with the ground so electronics aren't needed to keep it moving forward.

1632730207454.png

Mopar392

Reaction score

Sure, but do you have an example sold in the US?
There are a few examples sold outside of the US like Isuzu MUX, Nissan Xterra, Ford Everest and Toyota Fortuner.

Mopar392

Reaction score
What Jeep should develop is a worthy, RWD-based successor to the Cherokee XJ, but sized like the original ZJ, slotted in between the FWD Compass and the 2-row Grand Cherokee. That would give Jeep a truly unique offering in the compact SUV/CUV segment.

The next generation Cherokee (KM) is rumored to move to a RWD platform. Things could be changed after the merger.

TripleT

Reaction score
Someone Channeling our dear departed Norm,

Don't look for Solid Axles on anything beyond the Wrangler line, Bronco actually puts pressure on the range to change also.

sdu

Reaction score
Sure, but do you have an example sold in the US?
There are a few examples sold outside of the US like Isuzu MUX, Nissan Xterra, Ford Everest and Toyota Fortuner.
Toyota 4Runner and Land Cruiser come to mind.

So true. I have a WK which is the last GC to have a solid rear axle and neither the new WL nor the Wagoneer interests me, not to mention the prices are way out of hand.
Heck, you can get a Power Wagon that has all the off-road gears you will ever need for a lot less than a base Wagoneer 4x2.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread