Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jeep® Announces More Budget-Friendly Willys Xtreme Recon Package For 2022!

Jeep® Announces More Budget-Friendly Willys Xtreme Recon Package For 2022!​

Makes Debut At 2021 Detroit 4Fest...​

1632433610815.png

Earlier this year the Jeep® brand released its new Xtreme Recon package for Rubicon and Rubicon 392, a 35-inch tire and wheel option aimed squarely at the all-new 2021 Ford Bronco Sasquatch package. While the Xtreme Recon seemed like a great response to the Sasquatch package, the Sasquatch package is available across most of the Bronco’s lineup where Jeep’s Xtreme Recon package only focused on the more top-tier Wranglers. This meant the more budget-friendly Wrangler buyers were left without an alternative for the Bronco Sasquatch.

Last edited by a moderator:

bill burke

Reaction score
OK guys, been thinking, where does Jeep go with the Cherokee? The cost reduction on the Wrangler Recon package is a smart move and necessary in a much more competitive market. I also believe the Wrangler has too much character and appeal to consider cost cutting as the best way to undercut the Bronco. But maybe a new approach to Cherokee would be a better Chess move. How about Jeep goes RWD on the Cherokee with a Stellantis sourced platform from the upcoming Challenger on off road steroids. The Trailhawk model of this new Cherokee could out perform the Bronco Sasquatch and the other Cherokee models get a capability boost with that distinctive Jeep styling in an affordable direct Bronco competitor. I’d suggest we call this idea here a “checkmate” move for Jeep that ups the ante without compromising the one and only Wrangler. Just thinking.

UN4GTBL

Reaction score
This make perfect sense, and just goes to show that even if you don't like the Bronco, competition is better for the customer.

OK guys, been thinking, where does Jeep go with the Cherokee? The cost reduction on the Wrangler Recon package is a smart move and necessary in a much more competitive market. I also believe the Wrangler has too much character and appeal to consider cost cutting as the best way to undercut the Bronco. But maybe a new approach to Cherokee would be a better Chess move. How about Jeep goes RWD on the Cherokee with a Stellantis sourced platform from the upcoming Challenger on off road steroids. The Trailhawk model of this new Cherokee could out perform the Bronco Sasquatch and the other Cherokee models get a capability boost with that distinctive Jeep styling in an affordable direct Bronco competitor. I’d suggest we call this idea here a “checkmate” move for Jeep that ups the ante without compromising the one and only Wrangler. Just thinking.

I'd love for the Cherokee to go RWD, but I think to make the Cherokee match the Bronco capabilities, you are just competing with the Wrangler at that point too?

Some of the main reasons I chose a KL over a JL was driver seat room (JL/JT are too small for me in the front), day to day conveniences (memory seats, foot activated power tailgate, seat comfort) and on road characteristics. Having said that, the JL has a more useful cargo area (other than the swing gate)

TripleT

Reaction score
This make perfect sense, and just goes to show that even if you don't like the Bronco, competition is better for the customer.

I'd love for the Cherokee to go RWD, but I think to make the Cherokee match the Bronco capabilities, you are just competing with the Wrangler at that point too?

Some of the main reasons I chose a KL over a JL was driver seat room (JL/JT are too small for me in the front), day to day conveniences (memory seats, foot activated power tailgate, seat comfort) and on road characteristics. Having said that, the JL has a more useful cargo area (other than the swing gate)

You never want to Cannibalize sales of a higher margin product with a lower margin product in your own showroom!

bill burke

Reaction score
You never want to Cannibalize sales of a higher margin product with a lower margin product in your own showroom!
That is a sound argument IF the Cherokee were a downsized Wrangler. The Bronco is so different from the Wrangler in character and style, I don’t put them head to head in my head. The more capable Cherokee as proposed improves its capability and its adherence to the Jeep ethos making it more distanced SUV to Renegade and Compass, more appealing to its customers and in Trailhawk form, a more direct competitor to Bronco rather than the Wrangler and it is in this format that we can predict stealing sales from Bronco. I think the current Cherokee is a fine vehicle, I’d consider another as configured,but contend going with this proposed format overcomes it’s few weak points of length, width and true trail rated status. An improved Cherokee will redefine it as a more “Jeep”, Jeep and increase Renegade, Compass, Cherokee and Grand Cherokee sales as each one is more distinct and segment defined. Just can not get this idea out of my head.

TripleT

Reaction score
Well someone is going to get Fired at Ford because the Bronco is meant to be a direct competitor

Users who are viewing this thread