Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chrysler Heir Tells Us His Thoughts On What The New Chrysler CEO Needs To Do!

Chrysler Heir Tells Us His Thoughts On What The New Chrysler CEO Needs To Do!​

As Chrysler New Leader CEO Comes Into Office, Tomorrow...​

1631472934806.png

Earlier this past week, Stellantis announced that Christine Feuell, formerly the Chief Commercial Officer (CCO) of Honeywell Safety and Productivity Solutions will join the company effectivity tomorrow, as the new Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Chrysler brand.

We thought we would reach out to our good friend Frank B. Rhodes, Jr. (the great-grandson of Walter P. Chrysler) and a man on a mission to save the Chrysler brand and his grandfather’s legacy, for his thoughts on the move to introduce a new CEO to what he thinks needs to be done to push Chrysler forward into the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
This seems out of touch with reality… we had a pro-fossil-fuel president before and automakers still committed to electric cars.

He’s also acting as if the money spent on Alfa didn’t help create the next-generation platforms that will be used across many brands, including Chrysler.

The people-mover definition was never really an acceptable identity. Looking at the new Airflow, they are going more technology-focused and premium.

Last edited:

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
This seems out of touch with reality… we had a pro-fossil-fuel president before and automakers still committed to electric cars.

He’s also acting as if the money spent on Alfa didn’t help create the next-generation platforms that will be used across many brands, including Chrysler.

The people-mover definition was never really an acceptable identity. Looking at the new Airflow, they are going more technology-focused and premium.

"Born almost a century ago to produce premium vehicles, Chrysler now is the "people-mover" brand offering vehicles in shrinking segments."

"Under FCA, Chrysler had become the "people-mover" brand. Its plug-in hybrid minivan had attracted interest from self-driving robotaxi companies including Google parent Alphabet Inc.'s Waymo LLC and Hong Kong-based AutoX."

"Chrysler is Gearing up to Become a Real People Mover Brand"

Lots of articles out there stating it. Considering the Pacifica is so widely advertised and the 300 has nothing. Its easy to understand why

AlexB

Reaction score

Agree with you @Ryan.
People-mover is more or less “vehicles that don’t fit in with Jeep/RAM/Dodge”.
The question we should be asking can marketing get people to pay $50,000 for a Chrysler-Branded vehicle?

Last edited:

bill burke

Reaction score
The man is pretty much spot on in my book. I have written on this before and the future of Chrysler lies in building on its history, culture and winning formula. I compromise when appropriate my hard core beliefs, try to be realistic and acknowledge the future with some form of electrification in the mix, but Chrysler is special and unique, a sacred brand to many.. Frankly, people mover classification is stoic, dull, not the way forward. But classic, affordable luxury in various forms of transportation seems a better road to take. It will take some died in the wool Chrysler people sitting around the corporate table to get this right and Frank B. Rhodes should be one of them. If the management team listens, thinks deeply, then Chrysler can be reinvented, actually build real Chrysler’s and be very profitable for sure. One honest viewing of that Imperial video might be a good place to start. Chrysler is not just a brand, it is an American icon. Handle with care.

AlexB

Reaction score
The man is pretty much spot on in my book. I have written on this before and the future of Chrysler lies in building on its history, culture and winning formula. I compromise when appropriate my hard core beliefs, try to be realistic and acknowledge the future with some form of electrification in the mix, but Chrysler is special and unique, a sacred brand to many.. Frankly, people mover classification is stoic, dull, not the way forward. But classic, affordable luxury in various forms of transportation seems a better road to take. It will take some died in the wool Chrysler people sitting around the corporate table to get this right and Frank B. Rhodes should be one of them. If the management team listens, thinks deeply, then Chrysler can be reinvented, actually build real Chrysler’s and be very profitable for sure. One honest viewing of that Imperial video might be a good place to start. Chrysler is not just a brand, it is an American icon. Handle with care.
LOL, nope Frank Rhodes has no chance of ever being in part of management, nor should he. That role belongs to John Elkann given FIAT having a family controlling legacy that carries over to Stellantis largest investor and when the 120th date comes it wouldn’t be shocking if John excludes Frank.

bill burke

Reaction score
LOL, nope Frank Rhodes has no chance of ever being in part of management, nor should he. That role belongs to John Elkann given FIAT having a family controlling legacy that carries over to Stellantis largest investor and when the 120th date comes it wouldn’t be shocking if John excludes Frank.
We are talking Not lineage here, but knowledge and passion about the brand. The thinking here on Frank is general, it is a suggested personality type for inclusion in the management process of more than bean counters and yes people. Sincerely, we need some voices in the room who KNOW Chrysler and LOVE Chrysler as an icon of the American automotive industry. Indeed sound corporate minds are the core participants but absent some passion from Chrysler loyalists, heart felt passion, the process is at serious risk. As I said, handle with care.

Mopar392

Reaction score
Chrysler can survive. But it can't survive by being a full lineup marque, like what some wants.
Chrysler can be a re-engineered Peugeot/Opel Crossovers. Chrysler needs to have low cost and high margin American version of Peugeot in order to survive.
Or it can be the luxury version of D-SUV and smaller Jeeps. But with a very competitive segment, it will be hard

Buick survived by being a rebadge Opel and then by having %50 of its lineup made in China or Korea, which led low cost and high margin.

TripleT

Reaction score
Can we get a Interview with the Maxwell Family.... I got relatives in New Castle maybe they can track it down. What are 6 ownerships removed from any family involvement. Maxwell has just as much claim to insight at this point. What kind of Arrogant Entitled Pr... is this guy. You know that Value of Chrysler brand is since the New York private equity fund finished the work of devaluing the Brand by Daimler. Nearly Nothing.... They had NO TAKER not even Chinese. The Value of the company is in the Minivan which could easily be rebranded a Dodge and the upcoming Passport.

There seem be some delusional perspective on a Brand that historically was a low volume low car model count Brand. Yes it is nice Homage to the man who rescued Maxwell. But this just seems to get carried away assigning value that simply isn't there.

When people say Chrysler they think the Brands Dodge, Plymouth, and Ram.... Now Jeep. Don't conflate the company with the brand.... Outside the 300s it has very little history to lean on.

I challenge someone to point to the golden age of the Brand Chrysler. The only thing close was the mid-90s Badge engineering when they were still trying to maintain separate showrooms.

Last edited:

TripleT

Reaction score

People Mover = low margin?

That original definition was made when there was still margin in the mid-sized and proper car class. It gone. People seem to ignore the pain those classification caused through out the industry. Careers were destroyed, billions of dollars lost.

He seems to live in world (as do many) that hasn't existed since the late 90s.

bill burke

Reaction score
Can we get a Interview with the Maxwell Family.... I got relatives in New Castle maybe they can track it down. What are 6 ownerships removed from any family involvement. Maxwell has just as much claim to insight at this point. What kind of Arrogant Entitled Pr... is this guy. You know that Value of Chrysler brand is since the New York private equity fund finished the work of devaluing the Brand by Daimler. Nearly Nothing.... They had NO TAKER not even Chinese. The Value of the company is in the Minivan which could easily be rebranded a Dodge and the upcoming Passport.

There seem be some delusional perspective on a Brand that historically was a low volume low car model count Brand. Yes it is nice Homage to the man who rescued Maxwell. But this just seems to get carried away assigning value that simply isn't there.

When people say Chrysler they think the Brands Dodge, Plymouth, and Ram.... Now Jeep. Don't conflate the company with the brand.... Outside the 300s it has very little history to lean on.

I challenge someone to point to the golden age of the Brand Chrysler. The only thing close was the mid-90s Badge engineering when they were still trying to maintain separate showrooms.
Sorry T, you espouse exactly the wrong kind of thinking we Chrysler fans don’t want in the room, our glass is half filled with Chrysler heritage. Nothing personal, but there is so much to salute, celebrate and stand in admiration about the Chrysler brand and the many, many, many very outstanding and groundbreaking vehicles it produced, that if executives don’t know this herald brand well and don’t admire Chrysler as such, then its value just might be zero someday, but not now. Zero is just not the value that we place on Chrysler, our math. Our half full glass contains the liquid gold of a plan forward beyond rebadged Peugeot’s, though I am sure that is part of the solution, that is fine. If Volvo, Jaguar, Lincoln, Buick and others can reinvent themselves, Chrysler can and it shall. You make some valid points, but what you miss is much, too much to be part of the solution, but every right, just as Frank does, to express ones sincere opinion, all hopefully without the vulgarity and certainly with mutual respect. Respectfully then, we differ, we Chrysler loyalists reject the narrow arguments disguised as sound and expansive knowledge by some with one that, with the right people, we argue with passion and first hand knowledge, can be done. Absent of Chrysler lore, culture, heritage and passion, it might not. Now let’s start that reinvention process with half full glasses, that Imperial video as a launching inspiration featuring one of the great cars from Chrysler, a history lesson for some and the belief and commitment that the solution is absolute. I’d say in that solution there may even be room for an Imperial somewhere. Absolutely!

TripleT

Reaction score
Sorry T, you espouse exactly the wrong kind of thinking we Chrysler fans don’t want in the room, our glass is half filled with Chrysler heritage. Nothing personal, but there is so much to salute, celebrate and stand in admiration about the Chrysler brand and the many, many, many very outstanding and groundbreaking vehicles it produced, that if executives don’t know this herald brand well and don’t admire Chrysler as such, then its value just might be zero someday, but not now. Zero is just not the value that we place on Chrysler, our math. Our half full glass contains the liquid gold of a plan forward beyond rebadged Peugeot’s, though I am sure that is part of the solution, that is fine. If Volvo, Jaguar, Lincoln, Buick and others can reinvent themselves, Chrysler can and it shall. You make some valid points, but what you miss is much, too much to be part of the solution, but every right, just as Frank does, to express ones sincere opinion, all hopefully without the vulgarity and certainly with mutual respect. Respectfully then, we differ, we Chrysler loyalists reject the narrow arguments disguised as sound and expansive knowledge by some with one that, with the right people, we argue with passion and first hand knowledge, can be done. Absent of Chrysler lore, culture, heritage and passion, it might not. Now let’s start that reinvention process with half full glasses, that Imperial video as a launching inspiration featuring one of the great cars from Chrysler, a history lesson for some and the belief and commitment that the solution is absolute. I’d say in that solution there may even be room for an Imperial somewhere. Absolutely!

What are you talking about? I am only speaking of reality. You speak of a fantasy time in the past that never exists.

Please enlighten my of a time when Chrysler was a Volume brand with unique products. Don't quote the PT cruiser era... As that was a Plymouth.

What are you loyal too, what is this magical era that you speak of this Lore that you speak off. It doesn't exist. You have re-labeled Maxwells, the Town and Country which creeping towards a century ago, you have the 300s. That 3 models. The brand has never existing in most of our lifetimes as anything other the some chrome and softer suspensions That definition of Luxury is DEAD.

Your pining for a Chrysler that never existed and doesn't have consumer or market support to ever be fulfilled. It is sad being the lonely guy, but your just in extremely small minority in the Market. Chrysler if it to survive must re-Invent itself into a Margin business which seems to the plan but to the idea of it being a full line offering is just detached from reality.

I am not rooting against Chrysler as a Brand, Hell I might buy the EV, but people have expectation that are just unreasonable.

I look at your examples.

Volvo was a single marque brand, until bought be Geely to survive, It is Chinese brand as way to sneak into market with resistance to that by playing Swiss

Buick - Nearly that same. The only way it is viable is because of the Chinese market.

Jaguar -- really your lumping in Jaguar with Chrysler... Again a single brand, recused by Asian Investment. Now the Premium offering of Tata.

Lincoln is the closest - but they don't own Jeep. Remove SUV and a lesser extent CUVs it deader the Chrysler.

Chrysler corporation has a wonderful rich history, the brand itself not so much, most of it in segment that has evolved away from market viability. Becoming Stellantis NA Tesla is really it best chance.

If they are not successful I will be Sad, but not a sad as when they killed Plymouth. Now there is killed Brand with History and Lore.

bill burke

Reaction score
What are you talking about? I am only speaking of reality. You speak of a fantasy time in the past that never exists.

Please enlighten my of a time when Chrysler was a Volume brand with unique products. Don't quote the PT cruiser era... As that was a Plymouth.

What are you loyal too, what is this magical era that you speak of this Lore that you speak off. It doesn't exist. You have re-labeled Maxwells, the Town and Country which creeping towards a century ago, you have the 300s. That 3 models. The brand has never existing in most of our lifetimes as anything other the some chrome and softer suspensions That definition of Luxury is DEAD.

Your pining for a Chrysler that never existed and doesn't have consumer or market support to ever be fulfilled. It is sad being the lonely guy, but your just in extremely small minority in the Market. Chrysler if it to survive must re-Invent itself into a Margin business which seems to the plan but to the idea of it being a full line offering is just detached from reality.

I am not rooting against Chrysler as a Brand, Hell I might buy the EV, but people have expectation that are just unreasonable.

I look at your examples.

Volvo was a single marque brand, until bought be Geely to survive, It is Chinese brand as way to sneak into market with resistance to that by playing Swiss

Buick - Nearly that same. The only way it is viable is because of the Chinese market.

Jaguar -- really your lumping in Jaguar with Chrysler... Again a single brand, recused by Asian Investment. Now the Premium offering of Tata.

Lincoln is the closest - but they don't own Jeep. Remove SUV and a lesser extent CUVs it deader the Chrysler.

Chrysler corporation has a wonderful rich history, the brand itself not so much, most of it in segment that has evolved away from market viability. Becoming Stellantis NA Tesla is really it best chance.

If they are not successful I will be Sad, but not a sad as when they killed Plymouth. Now there is killed Brand with History and Lore.

bill burke

Reaction score
Again, your points may have a valid point of view, and we certainly agree on wanting a viable future for Chrysler, but there is also a valid point in looking at things other than volume or a full line brand which I do not, and dismissing similar niche, low volume brands with similar ownership relationships and similar market placement that are doing well under a tenuous future shared in ways by Chrysler. Fundamentally therein resides my variance with your rebuttals. No matter the reason, loyalists that see the achievements of Chrysler in a different light are not deluding themselves, simply affirming their attachment to a memory. Personally, as for me, I see value in looking back to move forward. Realistically, there is a way forward and potential products that can reinvent Chrysler, we share that terminology also, but I believe that the affordable luxury label I used to describe Chrysler sums up my argument. No matter the mixture of vehicles delivered in our future, the Chrysler brand must express those products as a step up to luxury that is more price competitive and better engineered than the competition. That is pure Chrysler. A passionate voice, even if expressed with a wee bit of ludicrous exaggeration for effect, my way, is fundamental to the process. Memories are real treasure not to be taken lightly.

Last edited:

TripleT

Reaction score
Your still not answering the question. Point to a time when Chrysler the brand was how you imagine it in the future. Name the era and name models. It today is pretty much how it has always been. A couple of models aimed at the older demographic. Tell me these memories you speak of because I for life of my cannot think of any models that warrant that sort of passion. Outside the 300 Marque.

It can become something more substantial, but it must discard the Lee's vision of Luxury. Running around the design studio, slapping the hands of those daring to do anything but wire wheels and plastic roofs.

Here is deal by comparison All vehicles a luxurious today. All have leather, all have every gadget, all now have Automated features down to the Entry Level Car like a Compass. Chrysler as a brand to Survive need to carve a new Niche... but for awhile it will be niche.

Not arguing, just explaining and that one temper ones expectation with realism.

These are the questions on must ask.

1. Is there a profitable market for the model proposed. Is there a ROI.

2. If there is, then is Chrysler Marque fit ahead of others to maximize those margins. Wagoneer is a good example of that decision to the contrary.

3. If money is assigned and capacity used does it not take away resources from more profitable introductions.

4. If you can't clear these hurdles, Can a model be used as a platform for some other future products or product line. Alfa is a good example of a test bed at lower volumes for all sort of near production ready process and parts.

5. Is the marque alone worth badge engineering to save, or does it long term do more damage. It cannot be a charity to people who seem to long for the day when the company was insolvent and they got a good deal as a consumer in the process.

So the starting Marque for Electric CUV, while some might argue Dodge, I think the Airflow is a good starting place to re-Introduce the Brand.

Now on point blame... This is not going to be POPULAR... OLD LEE himself. He is the one that diminished the brand to being a Chrome level of Plymouth and Dodge. He is the one slapping hands with ruler and killing ideas on sight. Most of all when Tom Gale and Bob Lutz had position the brand to be the US equivalent of EU marque brands... out of spite, politics, or just plain senility he picked Eaton as the head of the company. Then that incompetent boob, sold the company out to a foreign interest for less then a 10th of a percent. The German went on to raid and destroy not only the brand but then entire company.

AlexB

Reaction score

Your still not answering the question. Point to a time when Chrysler the brand was how you imagine it in the future. Name the era and name models. It today is pretty much how it has always been. A couple of models aimed at the older demographic. Tell me these memories you speak of because I for life of my cannot think of any models that warrant that sort of passion. Outside the 300 Marque.

It can become something more substantial, but it must discard the Lee's vision of Luxury. Running around the design studio, slapping the hands of those daring to do anything but wire wheels and plastic roofs.

Here is deal by comparison All vehicles a luxurious today. All have leather, all have every gadget, all now have Automated features down to the Entry Level Car like a Compass. Chrysler as a brand to Survive need to carve a new Niche... but for awhile it will be niche.

Not arguing, just explaining and that one temper ones expectation with realism.

These are the questions on must ask.

1. Is there a profitable market for the model proposed. Is there a ROI.

2. If there is, then is Chrysler Marque fit ahead of others to maximize those margins. Wagoneer is a good example of that decision to the contrary.

3. If money is assigned and capacity used does it not take away resources from more profitable introductions.

4. If you can't clear these hurdles, Can a model be used as a platform for some other future products or product line. Alfa is a good example of a test bed at lower volumes for all sort of near production ready process and parts.

5. Is the marque alone worth badge engineering to save, or does it long term do more damage. It cannot be a charity to people who seem to long for the day when the company was insolvent and they got a good deal as a consumer in the process.

So the starting Marque for Electric CUV, while some might argue Dodge, I think the Airflow is a good starting place to re-Introduce the Brand.

Now on point blame... This is not going to be POPULAR... OLD LEE himself. He is the one that diminished the brand to being a Chrome level of Plymouth and Dodge. He is the one slapping hands with ruler and killing ideas on sight. Most of all when Tom Gale and Bob Lutz had position the brand to be the US equivalent of EU marque brands... out of spite, politics, or just plain senility he picked Eaton as the head of the company. Then that incompetent boob, sold the company out to a foreign interest for less then a 10th of a percent. The German went on to raid and destroy not only the brand but then entire company.
And Lee tried to sell Chrysler to FIAT back during the late 80’s-Early 90’s.
So Mopar would still end up being ruled by John Elkann.

TripleT

Reaction score
Thank goodness it did. Lee Fed up not handing the Company to Bob Lutz, instead we have suffered through a series of bad ownership and leadership until Fiat rode in at the last moment, I still don't think people realize it was hours before the New Yorkers in that horrible private equity group did what private equity groups do, divide and sell in parts like a chop shop. How close the Chrysler corporation legacy was to die with Dodge and Chrysler with it.

AND STILL WE get the Jackassery about how money shouldn't spend on EU legacy brands. How Alfa was a waste of money. It pure ignorance. It take a lack of knowledge of the product design and typical part construction to not realized that was a advance prototype of all future RWD products, processes and components. There are leap forwards on those cars as far design and componentry, all hidden in a low volume offering.

Frankly the ignorance is tiresome. Could they also treat Chrysler as a Advance Prototype platform. I don't think they can Chrysler buyer don't seem to me to have the insight or patience for such things., judging by there frequent complaints about Alfa Could Chrysler buyer be like Buick buyer and tolerate high Chinese Content and Even assembly, man, I don't see that either.

JeepBen

Reaction score
He complains about bean counters and hopes the new CEO is a solution. Sorry, I highly doubt that. The quality of Honeywell safety products have been going downhill for several years. Dead electronics, back orders, poor dealer support. All Honeywell has seemed interested in lately is adding more dealers. The result has been a big stab in the back to its long time dealers who now are faced with a shrinking customer base due to too many dealers.

TripleT

Reaction score
Honeywell needs to more aggressively defend it patent from violators like NEST who suddenly thought they invented interior climate control. But I digress....

Its interesting that both Companies got there start in small cities in Indiana, Maxwell in New Castle and Honeywell in Wabash.

A center of innovation in the early last century.

bill burke

Reaction score
Honeywell needs to more aggressively defend it patent from violators like NEST who suddenly thought they invented interior climate control. But I digress....

Its interesting that both Companies got there start in small cities in Indiana, Maxwell in New Castle and Honeywell in Wabash.

A center of innovation in the early last century.
I must begin with a thank you to all who have so skillfully presented excellent opinions, deep held opinions and intelligent thinking focused on solutions. I present my summary answer, one may not share or understand the passion of many about Chrysler or not see Imperials or Airflow Chrysler’s as significant, but that is not the issue. I seek only a plan to preserve Chrysler and its tradition of affordable luxury and yes my love affair. In the end it will be finding an identity and the right vehicles to survive, this I know. The tough part will be defining the brand. There will be enough building blocks of platforms and architectures to choose from but finding a niche that is enduring and profitable (ROI) will be difficult, but not impossible. I also believe a sense of what Chrysler was, the flagship of all the vehicles of the Chrysler Corporation in a luxury execution, must be part of the formula. I will never apologize for my love affair with Chrysler, it is too vivid and fulfilling to compromise, even if it is only in my mind. Job well done blog mates!

Users who are viewing this thread