Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Christine Feuell Hired as CEO of the Chrysler Brand

AlexB

Reaction score
"Christine heading Chrysler is great news for Stellantis and I'm convinced that she will play an integral and strategic role in setting the new impetus and direction for this iconic brand and unleash its great potential," said Tavares.
Stellantis is pleased to announce that Christine Feuell, previously chief commercial officer at Honeywell Safety and Productivity Solutions, will join Stellantis as Chrysler brand CEO on September 13, reporting to CEO Carlos Tavares.
Christine Feuell is a well-recognized senior marketing executive with extensive experience in automotive, omni-channel supply chain automation systems and smart building technologies industries. She achieved progressive responsibilities in sales, marketing, product management and P&L leadership at Ford, Johnson Controls and Honeywell, with a strong track record of delivering profitable growth through integrated products, software and services.

AlexB

Reaction score
Target audience Female Millennial with kids full electric CUV.
Funny how some “clowns” on another place is whining about the B-Segment, 200. They don’t get it!
Chrysler is becoming something different than the past.

TripleT

Reaction score
Funny how some “clowns” on another place is whining about the B-Segment, 200. They don’t get it!
Chrysler is becoming something different than the past.
That sight has zero to none, understanding of how a profitable company has to be run. Personal wants and desire no matter the market viability is all they have.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score

Stellantis Names Its New Person To Lead The Chrysler Brand Into The Future!​

Christine Feuell Will Become CEO Of Chrysler, Next Week...​

1631050782261.png

There have been more questions surrounding the future of the Chrysler brand, than any other in Stellantis 14 brand portfolio. The once “blue-collar luxury” brand that featured an array of cars, SUVs, and minivans in the mid-2000s, was then deemed a mainstream “people mover” brand with the hopes to take on nameplates like Chevrolet and Ford. Since the decision to change the brand’s direction, it has been reduced to ultimately 3 vehicles (2 of which are basically the same vehicle) the latter behind a minivan lineup.

cygnus

Reaction score
I question the viability of EVs/the Chrysler as an EV centric brand with the current chip shortage. You don't go from 300 chips (ICE) in a vehicle to 3000 with an EV, and you don't build vehicles profitably when you outsource/partner the largest component of your powertrain design, the cells.

cygnus

Reaction score
The economics of EVs do not make sense at present - the situation has gotten markedly worse with the chip shortage, and it's going to get worse still with every automaker trying to rush into EVs because there is magical (delusional) thinking at the executive level where they think that there are enough consumers out there that can afford these sky high increasing ASPs.

Fact - no one is presently making money on EVs.

Fact - with the entire industry going from a model where 300 chips per vehicle are required, to 3000 chips per vehicle, this is going to VASTLY drive up the price of the vehicle prices. So either the total market size for EVs is smaller than everyone thinks (because the increasing costs are of course passed on to the consumer, and there's a smaller and smaller pool of consumers that afford EVs as prices go up, but the component prices will NOT come down as demand wanes, as those same chips are just then directed to the consumer electronics industry, which is BIGGER than the automotive industry) or the automakers are going to lose money on these EV investments.

Fact - the same situation will eventually play out with batteries, as it did with chips - do you really think LG, SK, Total, or CATL is going to do this without getting their cut? You're going to a model where the automaker designs and builds the entire powertrain themselves with ICE vs. a model where the biggest value add for the powertrain, the cells, is supplied by a handful of company's that have all the patents globally on batteries?

Article on chips - Major automakers fear the global chip shortage could persist for some time

"The shortage is thought to have been exacerbated by the move to electric vehicles. For example, a Ford Focus typically uses roughly 300 chips, whereas one of Ford’s new electric vehicles can have up to 3,000 chips."

To be honest, I'm not a Chief Engineer, or a Program Manager on a vehicle project - I have a niche spot in the auto industry. But when I read that we're basically going from 300 chips per vehicle to 3000 chips - my God, does anyone realize how idiotic all of this is?

TripleT

Reaction score
Fact your swimming against the tide. The manufacturers are scaling up to produce batteries locally, because they have too. Chrysler will be this or it will be killed. Deservedly.

sizable fleets will be electric, Will be….. chip shortage will be sorted.

sometimes people take what i am explaining as something I want to happen. NOPE I am telling what is going to happen.

the total SKU go down a order of magnitude with a EV, the OEMa are licking there chops so I don’t know what your being told, part of reason for the easy adoption is the less logistical complexity.

cygnus

Reaction score
They are not building the cells themselves - they are partnering. Huge difference. A 3rd party entity is now controlling their destiny/profitability at that point, for something that comprises 40% of the total vehicle cost.

Chip prices will not go down with the total number of chips that are needed with what is projected/being invested for EV ramping for the rest of this decade. When you are a normal automotive supplier and the OEM decreases orders - who else are you going to ship to? No one. But a chip supplier like TSMC has tons of other willing buyers, they have all the leverage. They basically told all the global automotive OEMs to go screw themselves - and are now jacking up prices; Chip prices set to rise into 2022 as TSMC hikes rates

The automotive OEMs have bitten off more than they can chew, and they have NO leverage over the chip suppliers. They all treat automotive suppliers like dirt - they will not be able to do that with the electronics industry. They are learning this the hard way.

20 years ago you had 30 companies building chips on the leading process nodes. Today, that number is 3 - TSMC, Samsung, and Global Foundries are at 14nm and smaller. To build a leading edge fab costs $10+ billion.

I would bet my life on this. This is not going to play out the way you think it is.

Last edited:

Archknight

Reaction score
Maybe fresh perspective is a great thing. We know that everyone is rushing to electrification, but the biggest sellers are CUV/SUV people haulers. Dodge and Alfa are getting large B CUVs, so Chrysler should get a C-segment model akin to the KM Cherokee.

If they aren't planning on anything for the brand until 2023, let's hope they can utilize some existing bones from PSA or former FCA. I'm assuming something on the STLA medium or large platform since they'll be available at that time.

TripleT

Reaction score
They are not building the cells themselves - they are partnering. Huge difference. A 3rd party entity is now controlling their destiny/profitability at that point, for something that comprises 40% of the total vehicle cost.

Chip prices will not go down with the total number of chips that are needed with what is projected/being invested for EV ramping for the rest of this decade. When you are a normal automotive supplier and the OEM decreases orders - who else are you going to ship to? No one. But a chip supplier like TSMC has tons of other willing buyers, they have all the leverage. They basically told all the global automotive OEMs to go screw themselves - and are now jacking up prices; Chip prices set to rise into 2022 as TSMC hikes rates

The automotive OEMs have bitten off more than they can chew, and they have NO leverage over the chip suppliers. They all treat automotive suppliers like dirt - they will not be able to do that with the electronics industry. They are learning this the hard way.

20 years ago you had 30 companies building chips on the leading process nodes. Today, that number is 3 - TSMC, Samsung, and Global Foundries are at 14nm and smaller. To build a leading edge fab costs $10+ billion.

I would bet my life on this. This is not going to play out the way you think it is.
I don't know why you say "YOU" it isn't me. This reminds me of when I told Allpar 5 years ago the mainstream sedan is dead. They attacked me. ITS NOT ME. Its the market and manufacturing capacity train. It has left the station. Like it or not...... Frankly I find EVs about as inspiring as Samsung Washing machine....... I pretty much hate the whole idea of it, but it is what is coming.

I am telling you what is going to happen. Chrysler will be the EV division or is it will be killed. If it doesn't work out the way they think then it is dead. There is no viable market for it beyond that.

All other Brands will get EVs but it will be the Focus for Chrysler.

For god sake don't bet your life.... that is a bad bet. The focus on chips is odd on your part it a temporary problem. They became such a commodity that they were completely off shored. They are not labor heavy, they are automated. If anything the shortage will bring some of it back these shores. But the supply chain will correct itself before that is needed. Chip capacity scales way easier than hard components.

As for batteries ..... yes they will be assembled with partnerships but LOCALLY..... why ?? you cannot ship more than 300 Kilo of finished batteries without a fireman aboard the truck. Logistically they have to be made close to the assembly location.

So quit being angry, but a Hellcat and store it.

TripleT

Reaction score
Maybe fresh perspective is a great thing. We know that everyone is rushing to electrification, but the biggest sellers are CUV/SUV people haulers. Dodge and Alfa are getting large B CUVs, so Chrysler should get a C-segment model akin to the KM Cherokee.

If they aren't planning on anything for the brand until 2023, let's hope they can utilize some existing bones from PSA or former FCA. I'm assuming something on the STLA medium or large platform since they'll be available at that time.

If they started tomorrow, To make the parts from a PSA cars to make it Chrysler, Shoe horned a adequate drive train, got the certifications, and got them Imported it would be ready for ......

Model year.... ................

2024.... the lead time on just a front bumper cover is 30 weeks alone. Let alone the nightmare right now for trialing and mold reviows

BWS

Reaction score
I don't know why you say "YOU" it isn't me. This reminds me of when I told Allpar 5 years ago the mainstream sedan is dead. They attacked me. ITS NOT ME. Its the market and manufacturing capacity train. It has left the station. Like it or not...... Frankly I find EVs about as inspiring as Samsung Washing machine....... I pretty much hate the whole idea of it, but it is what is coming.

I am telling you what is going to happen. Chrysler will be the EV division or is it will be killed. If it doesn't work out the way they think then it is dead. There is no viable market for it beyond that.

All other Brands will get EVs but it will be the Focus for Chrysler.

For god sake don't bet your life.... that is a bad bet. The focus on chips is odd on your part it a temporary problem. They became such a commodity that they were completely off shored. They are not labor heavy, they are automated. If anything the shortage will bring some of it back these shores. But the supply chain will correct itself before that is needed. Chip capacity scales way easier than hard components.

As for batteries ..... yes they will be assembled with partnerships but LOCALLY..... why ?? you cannot ship more than 300 Kilo of finished batteries without a fireman aboard the truck. Logistically they have to be made close to the assembly location.

So quit being angry, but a Hellcat and store it.
I believe the limiting factor for EV saturation in the market is going to be charging infrastructure instead of anything to do with manufacturing. We are not ready to charge millions of electric cars going up and down the highway. The pieces necessary to make that happen would have had to been at least started to put in place a decade ago in order to meet this massive up scale in sales of EVs everyone envisions. A lot of catch up to do . I don’t see the US having the political will or ability to make it happen that quickly.

cygnus

Reaction score
Respectfully TripleT, I've cited data and come up with reasonable economic argument that these chips are not commodities - these are not like other parts the automotive industry have ever sourced in their history. I have not seen counter evidence to suggest otherwise - you've only countered with broad generalities. Onshoring does not magically happen in any short (less than 10 years) time frame with US having semiconductor foundries that are a generation or two behind their global counterparts. For example, the TSMC Arizona facility will only do 20K wafers a month, and the DoD has taken all of that capacity.

Do we have anyone from purchasing or an electrical / computer engineer weigh in?

AlexB

Reaction score
Respectfully TripleT, I've cited data and come up with reasonable economic argument that these chips are not commodities - these are not like other parts the automotive industry have ever sourced in their history. I have not seen counter evidence to suggest otherwise - you've only countered with broad generalities. Onshoring does not magically happen in any short (less than 10 years) time frame with US having semiconductor foundries that are a generation or two behind their global counterparts. For example, the TSMC Arizona facility will only do 20K wafers a month, and the DoD has taken all of that capacity.

Do we have anyone from purchasing or an electrical / computer engineer weigh in?
Richard Palmer stated during the last conference call it doesn’t make financial logic for Stellantis to build foundries.
With EV they are taking a risk, but there’s is risk to of not having strong EV plans:Fines/Penalties/Lawsuits for failing to reach standards which could cripple a OEM.
John Elkann is more acceptable of EV risk with even undertakIng risk Ferrari on EV’s:Ferrari boss has no fears over electric future
As @TripleT mentioned with performance brands like Ferrari & Dodge run the risk of harming the brand experience with EV’s.

Last edited:

TripleT

Reaction score

You seem to want to argue, and think we are in a argument. We are not.

Yes, Chips have become a commodity. How do I know because I have not just serviced the Automotive industry. I been on the lines in Chicago and San Diego that were shutdown. I have physically been on the line.

Yes that are not like other components, which if you been paying attention you know I am intimate with how they are made and moved. They are like no other part because nothing else scales, ships, requires so little labor to manufacture.

It going to happen it is..... as much as you or I don't like it. The momentum is too strong. One can whine, find excuses, reason for it to not..... chips are the least of the bottle neck. Rare each metals and charging infrastructure are. (btw not to be political we just handed over the Saudi Arabia of Lithium to a terrorist grow and by extension china )

Be angry.... try to argue ..... type long sentences. None of it matter ..... the die has been set.

bill burke

Reaction score
The level of responses to this article is significantly important because it demonstrates the lingering vitality of the Chrysler brand. The task forward is the ability of Stellantis and Ms. Feuell to capture that vitality with a brand defined focus and yes profitability and that needs viable product and some heritage based thinking. Of course that combination is going to be a new definition but when I look at Jaguar and Lincoln and even Alfa Romeo i believe Chrysler too can reinvent itself. The key element to begin with, in my judgement, is the essence of Chrysler and that is affordable luxury, not people mover status, but affordable luxury IN a Chrysler people mover. It is the chemistry, the imagery, the, yes, emotion of the brand that will carry the brand. I agree, the rush to electric in the short term is a mistake if everyone tries to exit the same door at the same time, it won’t work silly people, but something electric and doable under current circumstances might.
Essentially the volume of interested, opinionated engagement here is not about who is right or wrong, it’s about the potential viability of Chrysler. My friends here in and Ms. Feuell and the Stellantis show of support gives me hope. Indeed guys, Chrysler can reinvent itself and everyone and every sentiment expressed has done something for that process. Thanks everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread