Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CAUGHT: 2022 Fiat Tipo 1.5-liter Turbo Mild-Hybrid:

CAUGHT: 2022 Fiat Tipo 1.5-liter Turbo Mild-Hybrid:​

New Turbo Engine Appears To Be Coming To The Tipo Lineup...​

1629603646356.png

Since its original launch, the Fiat Tipo has become one of the most admired vehicles in its segment across Europe. FIAT has sold almost three-quarters of a million units since its introduction, with sales continuing to grow each year since. The Tipo continues to be an important part of the FIAT Europe lineup, with 70% of its sales coming from outside the Italian market. So with the Tipo receiving its first mid-cycle-action (MCA) or refresh this year, there seems to be a lot more promise for the C-segment offering.

Last edited by a moderator:

crouchta

Reaction score
Chrysler Neon, anyone? We desperately keep searching for something to wear the Chrysler wings....

bill burke

Reaction score
Chrysler Neon, anyone? We desperately keep searching for something to wear the Chrysler wings....
Yea, me too, but this is not it. I’m thinking larger, more upscale, a near luxury Stellantis vehicle/architecture spin off. If Chrysler has been given ten years, some things must be coming and some (Pacifica-300) updated. Make it near or at luxury or FaGetAboutIt.

crouchta

Reaction score
Yea, me too, but this is not it. I’m thinking larger, more upscale, a near luxury Stellantis vehicle/architecture spin off. If Chrysler has been given ten years, some things must be coming and some (Pacifica-300) updated. Make it near or at luxury or FaGetAboutIt.
I agree with your direction, but I think this could get there. Luxury is such a blurry term any more if you think about from equipment and accessories. It seems to me that definition is more tied to materials and presence now. This could be done with the proper level of materials. I wouldn't want this to be the only thing wearing the badge, but seems to be a good entrant in this size class.

bill burke

Reaction score
I agree with your direction, but I think this could get there. Luxury is such a blurry term any more if you think about from equipment and accessories. It seems to me that definition is more tied to materials and presence now. This could be done with the proper level of materials. I wouldn't want this to be the only thing wearing the badge, but seems to be a good entrant in this size class.
No need for this to “get there” when there is enough Stellantis assets currently and in development that can be used to rebuild Chrysler in house. That effort must be primarily led by US based Chrysler personnel adapting, augmenting and substituting domestic developed technologies and styling themes to these architectures. Rebadging vehicles that are even questionable for Fiat importation to our markets would be a disaster. We need to walk away from that “people mover” mantra pinned on the brand by pencil pushing bureaucrats and stick with Chrysler’s affordable luxury DNA. Look at what is going on at Dodge where integration of a new Stellantis platform is nearing fruition without compromising or abandoning Dodge’s basic formula and character. It is that path that Chrysler must follow and Peugeot’s decision to stay out of our market suggest they will accept Chrysler as their method to accomplish that goal. Let us not forget about updating at least Pacifica and continuing the 300 on the new Charger/Challenger platform as it does now and Chrysler then has a plan for a viable future while preserving its tradition, personality and culture.

crouchta

Reaction score
No need for this to “get there” when there is enough Stellantis assets currently and in development that can be used to rebuild Chrysler in house. That effort must be primarily led by US based Chrysler personnel adapting, augmenting and substituting domestic developed technologies and styling themes to these architectures. Rebadging vehicles that are even questionable for Fiat importation to our markets would be a disaster. We need to walk away from that “people mover” mantra pinned on the brand by pencil pushing bureaucrats and stick with Chrysler’s affordable luxury DNA. Look at what is going on at Dodge where integration of a new Stellantis platform is nearing fruition without compromising or abandoning Dodge’s basic formula and character. It is that path that Chrysler must follow and Peugeot’s decision to stay out of our market suggest they will accept Chrysler as their method to accomplish that goal. Let us not forget about updating at least Pacifica and continuing the 300 on the new Charger/Challenger platform as it does now and Chrysler then has a plan for a viable future while preserving its tradition, personality and culture.
I can live with that.

patfromigh

Reaction score
The Tipo hatchback isn't it. The Tipo wagon with a Subaru Outback stance would make a good Chrysler product. Fiat has sold a Palio Weekend in Latin America for a number of years, but it's too small to play in our traffic. However, the styling is spot on. Vauxhall has such a wagon package as well, based on a Peugeot after the buyout.

Station wagons are people movers. Nobody will mistake a Dodge Hornet with anything based on the Tipo wagon, even if they share the same showroom.

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
That ship already sailed for the US. The Tipo is even sold as the Dodge Neon in many markets outside the US. Namely in Mexico and Middle East countries.
The Tipo is the result of a joint-venture between FCA and the turkish Tofas group and it can only be done in Turkey, as defined in the agreement between the two counterparts. I believe this is the reason why it wasn't introduced in the US market since it could not be produced anywhere else.

It goes against the trend in the US of increasing SUV market share, and it is a compact car so it would probably flop over there, with no fault for the product itself. Just wait a 2-4 more years for the fruits of Stellantis. But bear in mind that if you don't get any new Dodge or Chrysler compact and midsize sedans the responsability falls on the north american management.

Last edited:

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
. Just wait a 2-4 more years for the fruits of Stellantis.
Anything in the next 2-3 years is either PSA or FCA based with some minor changes. For example STLA Medium and STLA Large, heck even STLA Frame, are all continuation of PSA or FCA projects with some minor changes.
We should wait more to see proper STLA project like STLA Small which will not be on the market before 2026.

Even projects on STLA Medium which are suitable for Alfa Romeo will not be on the market before 2027.

TripleT

Reaction score
The Tipo hatchback isn't it. The Tipo wagon with a Subaru Outback stance would make a good Chrysler product. Fiat has sold a Palio Weekend in Latin America for a number of years, but it's too small to play in our traffic. However, the styling is spot on. Vauxhall has such a wagon package as well, based on a Peugeot after the buyout.

Station wagons are people movers. Nobody will mistake a Dodge Hornet with anything based on the Tipo wagon, even if they share the same showroom.
Remember I and Ryan did a article saying such, a predicted the Cross model.after I spent a week with one in Italy. Ryan renderings we’re nearly spot on. Question is will traditional Chrysler buyer buy a foreign source vehicle?

seems the plans for people mover have pivoted up market to Tech EV ……. This explains the still born CUSW CUV, CUSW+ CUV, CUSW+ cars…… so i guess a even further down market Tipo is not in the cards

TripleT

Reaction score
That ship already sailed for the US. The Tipo is even sold as the Dodge Neon in many markets outside the US. Namely in Mexico and Middle East countries.
The Tipo is the result of a joint-venture between FCA and the turkish Tofas group and it can only be done in Turkey, as defined in the agreement between the two counterparts. I believe this is the reason why it wasn't introduced in the US market since it could not be produced anywhere else.

It goes against the trend in the US of increasing SUV market share, and it is a compact car so it would probably flop over there, with no fault for the product itself. Just wait a 2-4 more years for the fruits of Stellantis. But bear in mind that if you don't get any new Dodge or Chrysler compact and midsize sedans the responsability falls on the north american management.
NA consumer not management…. Aside from the vocal keyboard warriors sedans don’t sell with any margin. Sure as heck are not going waste capacity and implementation dollars on it. It is hard enough to get money makers out the door right now. Maybe since only fans has made changes to it content they can get some workforce, if they can make it finger nail friendly work cells :p

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
NA consumer not management…. Aside from the vocal keyboard warriors sedans don’t sell with any margin. Sure as heck are not going waste capacity and implementation dollars on it. It is hard enough to get money makers out the door right now. Maybe since only fans has made changes to it content they can get some workforce, if they can make it finger nail friendly work cells :p
The management made the right decision on exiting those markets because there's no consumer interest yes. Although I believe in the marketability of a Dodge midsize sedan (and coupe) below the Charger/Challenger. Compact cars like the Tipo don't make sense in the current US market.
Even in Europe compact cars are feeling the competition of subcompact SUVs and compact SUVs.

TripleT

Reaction score
The key would be the Cross version, where you pretend that it is CUV. But again is a Chrysler buyer ready for a Turkish, or Indian, or Chinese cars?

Import from Detriot...... ahhhhhhhhh check that.

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
I think they are... People seem to buy Buicks and most of those come from China nowadays.

Users who are viewing this thread