Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chrysler Heir Wants Stellantis To Put More Effort Into Protecting The Chrysler Brand!

Chrysler Heir Wants Stellantis To Put More Effort Into Protecting The Chrysler Brand!​

Walter P. Chrysler's Great-Grandson, Wants Stellantis To Invest In The Chrysler Nameplate...​

1629297497228.png

As Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) merged with French automaker Peugeot S.A. (PSA) earlier this year, to create the new identity of Stellantis, (the fourth-largest global automaker by volume), one man looked on with frustration to see the company that held his family name for 95 years would no longer exist. That man is Frank Rhodes, the great-grandson of Chrysler founder Walter P. Chrysler.

Last edited by a moderator:

BWS

Reaction score
Thank you Mr. Rhodes for your efforts. It is sad to watch an American icon die a slow death, but that’s pretty much where we are. I remain hopeful, but very very doubtful that there are any real plans to resurrect the Chrysler nameplate, much less the proud traditions that it carried for a century.

TripleT

Reaction score
He could have got in on the Cheap when the New Yorkers were BEGGING for someone to take it off their hands. I sure he could get a all Electric Chinese company to have pitched in. This guy seems to be a bit delusional. Chrysler never really existed originally just rebranded Maxwell's. Then lower volume version of Dodge and Plymouths over the years. Chrysler as a brand aside from a brief time in the 90s has never been a volume brand. Now that Cars are not viable in NA it made more difficult. Asking them to rebrand say a Wagoneer or GC just to make the brand viable at lose of margin is damn hard to justify. Looks to me there is a solid plan in place it make it Electric Tech people mover on the way. The guy need to sit down, as he sounds like a fool with a famous last name.

cygnus

Reaction score
This guy sounds like your average poster on another message board. More Chrysler products are coming, and they will occupy a very unique spot and will not overlap other Stellantis products.

bill burke

Reaction score
My love affair with Chrysler runs deep, no matter the formula used in creating a Chrysler, it always had a unique character and a large and loyal following and I remain one love sick fool forever. Indeed, it must be saved along with its glorious legacy. I will die with a Chrysler in my garage, hopefully not soon, but that beautiful Chrysler will someday miss me for sure.
Let’s face it there are many ways available to Stellantis to grow Chrysler. There is spinning off various Jeep SUVs, Alfa Romeo, Maserati,Peugeot,Opel spinoffs just a design effort away, and of course there is a next generation 300, or a Pacifica based crossover, or a Portal line of electrics, to name a few ideas. Easy to do, smart to do, and in truth, required by the darn history of the brand and the company it created to do. This is not an afterthought or a casual attraction or a fading fad, its Chrysler. CHRYSLER! Get to it Dudes.

bill burke

Reaction score
He could have got in on the Cheap when the New Yorkers were BEGGING for someone to take it off their hands. I sure he could get a all Electric Chinese company to have pitched in. This guy seems to be a bit delusional. Chrysler never really existed originally just rebranded Maxwell's. Then lower volume version of Dodge and Plymouths over the years. Chrysler as a brand aside from a brief time in the 90s has never been a volume brand. Now that Cars are not viable in NA it made more difficult. Asking them to rebrand say a Wagoneer or GC just to make the brand viable at lose of margin is damn hard to justify. Looks to me there is a solid plan in place it make it Electric Tech people mover on the way. The guy need to sit down, as he sounds like a fool with a famous last name.
Sounds like a soul brother to me, a proud family off spring to me, a guy who has the determination to speak up to me, but not a fool. Never sit down my friend, stand up, stand proud, stand with me by your side, a Chrysler ally with Chrysler blood in our veins, nobody’s delusional fool. Men of character have suffered the slings and arrows of lesser men, but they rise above and prevail. Chrysler will live my friend, thanks to people like you.

BWS

Reaction score
My love affair with Chrysler runs deep, no matter the formula used in creating a Chrysler, it always had a unique character and a large and loyal following and I remain one love sick fool forever. Indeed, it must be saved along with its glorious legacy. I will die with a Chrysler in my garage, hopefully not soon, but that beautiful Chrysler will someday miss me for sure.
Let’s face it there are many ways available to Stellantis to grow Chrysler. There is spinning off various Jeep SUVs, Alfa Romeo, Maserati,Peugeot,Opel spinoffs just a design effort away, and of course there is a next generation 300, or a Pacifica based crossover, or a Portal line of electrics, to name a few ideas. Easy to do, smart to do, and in truth, required by the darn history of the brand and the company it created to do. This is not an afterthought or a casual attraction or a fading fad, its Chrysler. CHRYSLER! Get to it Dudes.
I agree with you whole heartedly Bill. Unfortunately I don’t personally think there is much will left in the company to do it. We are quickly reaching a threshold where fewer of us remember what Chrysler really was first hand. They only know what they’ve read in a few little snippets on line. Some of the posts here are a good example. Hang in there my friend . We will keep our fingers crossed.

TripleT

Reaction score
Sound like both remember a Chrysler that has never existed, and are advocating for something that isn't going to happen. There is no way that Chrysler will elevate beyond what it ever was. He is a delusional fool, a powerless one at that, his name doesn't elevate his voice above other delusional fools. Chrysler has NEVER been a volume brand. The next generation 300 was killed by Fords poor effort, the Pacifica based Crossover never had a pay back over making a Jeeps, and the CUSW was completely done and not green lighted. Only someone who hasn't driven a Peugeot or Opel would even imagine it would be a viable option in North America.... Only a DS or Lancia maybe.... Remarked Alfa or Maserati...... PLEASE one cannot be serious.

The best chance Chrysler has is as Buick.... or as the EV division.... The EV division seems to be the direction as it has the best margin possibility. So the Chrysler martyrs need to crawl down from the cross and set there expectation properly..... if one frame of reference was the 80s were the popped some chrome on a Dodge and waved a magic wand and say glory be a Chrysler..... those model blew

BWS

Reaction score
Sound like both remember a Chrysler that has never existed, and are advocating for something that isn't going to happen. There is no way that Chrysler will elevate beyond what it ever was. He is a delusional fool, a powerless one at that, his name doesn't elevate his voice above other delusional fools. Chrysler has NEVER been a volume brand. The next generation 300 was killed by Fords poor effort, the Pacifica based Crossover never had a pay back over making a Jeeps, and the CUSW was completely done and not green lighted. Only someone who hasn't driven a Peugeot or Opel would even imagine it would be a viable option in North America.... Only a DS or Lancia maybe.... Remarked Alfa or Maserati...... PLEASE one cannot be serious.

The best chance Chrysler has is as Buick.... or as the EV division.... The EV division seems to be the direction as it has the best margin possibility. So the Chrysler martyrs need to crawl down from the cross and set there expectation properly..... if one frame of reference was the 80s were the popped some chrome on a Dodge and waved a magic wand and say glory be a Chrysler..... those model blew
Goodness there Triple T. Did someone run over you with their Chrysler at some point in your life? What’s with the anger ? Your argument that Chrysler was never a volume brand is ridiculous and shows a complete lack of historical facts. And no one pointed out 80’s cars in particular. But yeah the CHRYSLER CORPORATION built some pretty nice Chrysler branded cars through the years. The 40’s, 50’s, 60’s,70’s, and yes even a few around the 80’s and 90’s. But make no mistake there Triple, I am in complete agreement that the time has long came and went when Chrysler will ever be a significant brand presence again. That fate has been sealed over time now for about a dozen years or so.

AlexB

Reaction score
Goodness there Triple T. Did someone run over you with their Chrysler at some point in your life? What’s with the anger ? Your argument that Chrysler was never a volume brand is ridiculous and shows a complete lack of historical facts. And no one pointed out 80’s cars in particular. But yeah the CHRYSLER CORPORATION built some pretty nice Chrysler branded cars through the years. The 40’s, 50’s, 60’s,70’s, and yes even a few around the 80’s and 90’s. But make no mistake there Triple, I am in complete agreement that the time has long came and went when Chrysler will ever be a significant brand presence again. That fate has been sealed over time now for about a dozen years or so.
@TripleT is tell facts.
Not a dozen years, 2006 when Daimler decided to dump it.
BTW : here’s the actual heirs

Ferrari+Fashion+Collection+Runway+Hq2H8ap3BwCx.jpg

BWS

Reaction score
“About a dozen years or so” was what I said. But thanks for pinpointing the exact year.

TripleT

Reaction score
Ha, content blocked. It is funny that truth is now anger, showed up in my email. I am rooting for Chrysler, but people need to realistic and manage expectations. Overvaluation of the brand equity is not a excuse for criticism of those who have properly evaluated it and have shareholders to answer too. Chrysler has suffered most by the diminished car market. It needs to find it own niche in the brand lineup. And lower margin chromed models of other products won’t cut it.

BWS

Reaction score
Ha, content blocked. It is funny that truth is now anger, showed up in my email. I am rooting for Chrysler, but people need to realistic and manage expectations. Overvaluation of the brand equity is not a excuse for criticism of those who have properly evaluated it and have shareholders to answer too. Chrysler has suffered most by the diminished car market. It needs to find it own niche in the brand lineup. And lower margin chromed models of other products won’t cut it.
Thanks for the informative perspective you bring to the discussion. It is much appreciated.

NiharM33

Reaction score
I have a selection of hypothetical Chrysler products from my Behance profile I think would be a great fit!

bill burke

Reaction score
Trying hard to keep my objectivity and composure but not easy. You repeatedly use words like delusional and fool, repeatedly I note my friend, be aware please, in your heated comments, not nice. You are egar to criticize sincere people who are offering options and thinking on ways to reserect Chrysler and dismiss those lucid plans and a train of thought that is logical and possible IF the forces that be allow something to move forward. Not nice or respectful. I agree, things are dire, Chrysler is fading into obscurity, but all is not lost with a plan and a commitment. Even if no rescue plan arrives, people who hold out a flicker of hope and a dying whimper of emotion to a fading memory deserve better than this from anyone. Not nice at all. Hopefully you find this advice on respect and curtesy reasonable expectations from folks who see hope and speculation as something everyone should exhibit without being mocked. I think that should cut it, don’t you?

Last edited:
Reactions: BWS

Mike201

Reaction score
Bill I feel the same way. I am 55 and since I bought my first Plymouth at 15, I have owned nothing but Plymouth, Dodge, Chrysler and now Jeep (wife’s). I have pride in the Mopar brand and feel Chrysler is the papa and needs to continue to be part of the off spring. Chrysler stands for Luxury, and is so much better than Caddy and Lincoln. It is so sad we are down to one sedan an one minivan. Far from the day where we had 2 full size cars, a mid size car a rag top, mini van, and the PT Cruiser. From 6 to 2. (If you want you can throw in the Prowler to make it 7). Pretty sad. All that is needed, is keep the 300 and mini vans (all versions) add a convertible and a SUV/crossover. The Jeep Commander 3 row would be a good rebadge fit under Chrysler. Gives Chrysler a SUV that doesn’t compete directly with its sister Jeep products. I agree with Mr. Rhodes. SAVE CHRYSLER!!!

AlexB

Reaction score
Trying hard to keep my objectivity and composure but not easy. You repeatedly use words like delusional and fool, repeatedly I note my friend, be aware please, in your heated comments, not nice. You are egar to criticize sincere people who are offering options and thinking on ways to reserect Chrysler and dismiss those lucid plans and a train of thought that is logical and possible IF the forces that be allow something to move forward. Not nice or respectful. I agree, things are dire, Chrysler is fading into obscurity, but all is not lost with a plan and a commitment. Even if no rescue plan arrives, people who hold out a flicker of hope and a dying whimper of emotion to a fading memory deserve better than this from anyone. Not nice at all. Hopefully you find this advice on respect and curtesy reasonable expectations from folks who see hope and speculation as something everyone should exhibit without being mocked. I think that should cut it, don’t you?
Here’s the thing: I don’t agree with you version of “hope”. The train of thought that center around whining about PT cruiser,200 etc… nether profitable for stakeholders (Employees, Suppliers,Shareholders,)logical or possible.
Since 2015,FCA/Stellantis have been pretty clear focusing on Margins and quality of per vehicle revenue in North America.
The 2015 direction of North America had gone through 3 CEO’s (Mike Manley,Carlos & Great Sergio) yet still goes on….Because IT WORKS and the same Chairman whom is the Largest Investor:John Elkann.

Come up with plan gets people to pay $50,000 for a Chrysler brand but still sell 50,000 units annually, then I will join you in cheerleading. Other than that, the word “delusional” do indeed have merit.

BWS

Reaction score
So anything marketed in North America under the Fiat, Alfa or Maserati brands is delusional by your definition. Got it.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
Bill I feel the same way. I am 55 and since I bought my first Plymouth at 15, I have owned nothing but Plymouth, Dodge, Chrysler and now Jeep (wife’s). I have pride in the Mopar brand and feel Chrysler is the papa and needs to continue to be part of the off spring. Chrysler stands for Luxury, and is so much better than Caddy and Lincoln. It is so sad we are down to one sedan an one minivan. Far from the day where we had 2 full size cars, a mid size car a rag top, mini van, and the PT Cruiser. From 6 to 2. (If you want you can throw in the Prowler to make it 7). Pretty sad. All that is needed, is keep the 300 and mini vans (all versions) add a convertible and a SUV/crossover. The Jeep Commander 3 row would be a good rebadge fit under Chrysler. Gives Chrysler a SUV that doesn’t compete directly with its sister Jeep products. I agree with Mr. Rhodes. SAVE CHRYSLER!!!

1629309307520.png

Users who are viewing this thread