Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Dodge Hornet PHEV Will Come To Market In 2022!

New Dodge Hornet PHEV Will Come To Market In 2022!​

Dodge's First Plug-In Will Be Italian Built...​

1628568111056.png

On Tuesday, Stellantis revealed its financials for the first half of 2021 during an online presentation to the media and its investors. During that presentation, Stellantis CEO Carlos Tavares expanded on details that were discussed during the EV Day 2021 presentation last month.

“I would also like to bring to you, additional information based on the feedback I got from the EV Day. Where some of you were saying that you wanted to know more about the launch calendar about our electrified models,” Tavares said. Pulling a slide listing the 14 different brands under the Stellantis banner, Tavares highlighted an additional 21 electrified products to be launch over the next 24 months.

Last edited by a moderator:

JustTheFactsMaam

Reaction score
Do you have any knowledge if the new Dodge Hornet will be the smaller, similar, or larger than the old Dodge Journey? I have read the Alfa Romeo Tonale will be more subcompact than compact in size, and the Hornet will be based in the same platform, I am worried it will be much smaller than the old Journey.

bill burke

Reaction score
I’m old enough to remember the impressive Hudson Hornet, but young enough to get psyched and excited about a new Hornet. The original had the sting of cutting edge styling and performance to leave a life long impression on me and I have every confidence that this Hornet from Dodge will do likewise. OK, it will be built in Italy, but I’m half Italian, so I’m good with it. Heck,are we not on an express lane
to a global society where boarders are irrelevant? Well, of that I’m not sure, but most folks will not see that as an issue. The Italian built Renegade is s hit with Jeep buyers, right? This is the right vehicle at the right time for Dodge but the one question buzzing over it all is will it be Dodge enough??? Enough Dodge engineering, enough Dodge styling, enough Dodge performance and most of all enough Dodge attitude to win Dodge loyalists hearts and minds. If the name Hornet gives us a hint, I’d wager big on this one. Take it from an oldie but a goodie who has some buzz left in his tank and sting left in his swagger.

Last edited:

strum0

Reaction score
I don't think that it's fair to compare this vehicle to the Journey because truthfully they're 2 different vehicles with completely different missions. The Journey was a mid-size / E Segment crossover with lackluster powertrains that were sufficient for people mover objectives and a lower base price to capture a bargain basement market. It had a decent amount of space but don't compare it to a minivan. It could get out of the mud but don't compare it to a Jeep. It was a Jack. From the information, this vehicle is based off of the Fiat Small platform underpinning the Renegade and will be a compact C-Segment crossover. It should be, like the Tonale, based on the Compass which is 17.6" shorter than the Journey. From the article, it'll have a peppier engine, it's got PHEV tech so will be pricier so it's nothing like the Journey.

Assuming that this information is correct, I have read elsewhere that the PHEV listed on that graphic is actually a Durango PHEV which is scheduled to replace the Durango Hellcat that's going out this year. I've also seen information stating that the 5920 GG Dodge is a concept vehicle and not a production vehicle. I also read another article (Sorry, I can't remember where) that contends that after the initial reveal by the AR CEO, Jean-Philippe Imparato, that it is actually unlikely that a Dodge is being produced with the Tonale because there's no mules running around, no pre-production material ordered, no physical evidence. The Hornet to him appears to be a paper tiger. Often times, chief executives do puff up smoke to draw attention or give in-situ plans that never come into fruition to feign transparency, so such information should be taken with a grain of salt until actual real life examples are witnessed. Is there anything else that can be disclosed that confirms that this vehicle is for real?

AlexB

Reaction score
I don't think that it's fair to compare this vehicle to the Journey because truthfully they're 2 different vehicles with completely different missions. The Journey was a mid-size / E Segment crossover with lackluster powertrains that were sufficient for people mover objectives and a lower base price to capture a bargain basement market. It had a decent amount of space but don't compare it to a minivan. It could get out of the mud but don't compare it to a Jeep. It was a Jack. From the information, this vehicle is based off of the Fiat Small platform underpinning the Renegade and will be a compact C-Segment crossover. It should be, like the Tonale, based on the Compass which is 17.6" shorter than the Journey. From the article, it'll have a peppier engine, it's got PHEV tech so will be pricier so it's nothing like the Journey.

Assuming that this information is correct, I have read elsewhere that the PHEV listed on that graphic is actually a Durango PHEV which is scheduled to replace the Durango Hellcat that's going out this year. I've also seen information stating that the 5920 GG Dodge is a concept vehicle and not a production vehicle. I also read another article (Sorry, I can't remember where) that contends that after the initial reveal by the AR CEO, Jean-Philippe Imparato, that it is actually unlikely that a Dodge is being produced with the Tonale because there's no mules running around, no pre-production material ordered, no physical evidence. The Hornet to him appears to be a paper tiger. Often times, chief executives do puff up smoke to draw attention or give in-situ plans that never come into fruition to feign transparency, so such information should be taken with a grain of salt until actual real life examples are witnessed. Is there anything else that can be disclosed that confirms that this vehicle is for real?
There’s no Durango PHEV.
Second,CEO can’t “puff up smoke”” with a Financial Securities Presentation to investors/analyst.

Hornet and Journey two very different vehicles from price to size.

TripleT

Reaction score
Dodge is not replacing the Journey in it lineup other than have CUV, they aren't interested in low margin fleet queens in that Brand portfolio. The Fact that none of the still born CSWA Chryslers made it to implementation even one that was full developed and sold as a Jeep in China shows they may not be interested in that market at all. They are adding more "Dodgeish" CUVs to the lineup. 2.0T in that vehicle will be screamer especially if it get some of the Tonale Phase II lightening componentry.

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Dodge is not replacing the Journey in it lineup other than have CUV, they aren't interested in low margin fleet queens in that Brand portfolio. The Fact that none of the still born CSWA Chryslers made it to implementation even one that was full developed and sold as a Jeep in China shows they may not be interested in that market at all. They are adding more "Dodgeish" CUVs to the lineup. 2.0T in that vehicle will be screamer especially if it get some of the Tonale Phase II lightening componentry.
Yes, the Journey's only function was as a sub-prime queen. It's unfortunate but it's true. It wasn't the top choice for most people, but something they had to buy because they needed a new vehicle and it was their only real option. That can't be replicated in a new vehicle as the price will increase substantially. So even if there's a vehicle in the same segment as the Journey, it still won't be a direct replacement.

cygnus

Reaction score
Hornet is a five passenger vehicle. Journey was a seven passenger vehicle.

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
That outline does really look like the Dodge version of the Tonale. And it looks quite good.

Users who are viewing this thread