Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ralph Gilles Gives Us A Sneak Peek At The Chrysler Airflow Vision:

Ralph Gilles Gives Us A Sneak Peek At The Chrysler Airflow Vision:​

From Design Shell At CES, To Looking Near Production Ready...​

1625780578280.png

For the past several years, the automotive press, insiders, fans, and even Walter P. Chrysler’s great-grandson have been left wondering what will happen to the Chrysler brand. The 97-year old automaker has gone from being the blue-collar worker’s luxury brand to a mainstream people mover brand, which has been reduced to just 8 distinct models in 2001 to only 3 today. Made of the award-winning Chrysler Pacifica and Voyager (Grand Caravan in Canada) minivans and the beloved Chrysler 300 Series sedan, the future of the brand has been in question for several years.

Last edited by a moderator:

cygnus

Reaction score
So Windsor will build small wide plus this vehicle, which is presumably STLA Medium?

JOJO_123_321

Reaction score
Does anyone else remember the Chrysler corporation concept cars of the 90s?

Viper, Portofino, Phaeton, Intrepid ESX (version 1 2 and 3) Chrysler Java, Pronto, Plymouth prowler, Eagle Vision, The original neon and Chrysler cirrus concept, Chrysler Atlantic, Dodge copperhead, Chrysler Chronos, Dodge sidewinder, and even the latter Chrysler crossfore, ME4-12 and Dodge magnum concepts. All of these were BOLD cars.

Yes, most of these concepts were also backed by great ideas and innovative engineering, but none of that wouldn't have mattered if they looked as pedestrian and uninspiring as the competition. Chrysler knew that in the 90s but all the "mergers" aka buyouts have dulled their edge and stifled thier brash Detroit creativity ... Should we even be surprised that Chrysler is almost as forgotten as... well.. Mitsubishi??

As I recall, the very concept of Chrysler has always been simple. They were selling the spirit of "premium economy" (for lack of a better word) before anyone even knew what that was -- namely; style, sophistication and value. But nowadays, Buick is closer to what Chrysler is "supposed" to be. And I think that's the problem at FCA --> Stellantis. They've lost focus of everything Chrysler has stood for and what made their cars stand out from the crowd.

It doesn't matter if the trend is SUV's, hybrids, electric vehicles, connected cars, self-driving cars or other technology. If the car itself doesn't look like anything in particular, why should anyone buy a car that has no sense of identity? This thing just looks like GM styling cues slapped onto a Volvo body... with just enough 'indifference' sprinkled in to suspect the involvement of a French carmaker.

This thing looks nothing like a Phaeton. Nothing like a next generation 300. Nothing like a Newport or New Yorker, First generation Sebring convertible, LHS, and absolutely nothing like a proud, presidential Imperial (rest their soul). Effectively, you could have told me this is a Chinese market car from some obscure automaker and I would have believed it -- and then forgotten about its entire existence in 30 seconds thereafter...

If you haven't picked up on this by now, yes, I really want Chrysler to thrive again. But if *THIS* is the level of "head turning" styling coming out of the Chrysler division, they really are a dead man walking... or should I say rolling? 🤔

Attachments

• 10-chrysler-concepts.jpg
    10-chrysler-concepts.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 15563712030_1b5112dea1.jpg
    15563712030_1b5112dea1.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 1
  • chrysler-atlantic_concept_1995_1600x1200_wallpaper_01.jpg
    chrysler-atlantic_concept_1995_1600x1200_wallpaper_01.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 1
  • chrysler_pronto_cruizer_concept_6.jpg
    chrysler_pronto_cruizer_concept_6.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 1
  • chrysler_phaeton_concept_1.jpg
    chrysler_phaeton_concept_1.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

bill burke

Reaction score
Since my uncle and Godfather John Tuccillo bought his brand new 1953 Chrysler and I saw it, my heart has belonged to Chrysler. Love turned to lust in 1955 when I saw my first Chrysler 300 parked on the street in Astoria, Queens, NY. Lust turned to passion in 1957, when I saw the unbelievable Chrysler 300 C.in a parking garage on Walker Street in Manhattan. Some things you never forget. Today I have inshrined my 2006 Chrysler Crossfire roadster as my “forever ride” in my garage, call it Chrysler worship if you please. Yes this article stirs my drink.
On life support, my beloved Chrysler is desperate for new product and believe me I’ll accept anything, anything to keep her alive. My one request, whatever it’s called Portal, better yet Airflow, incorporate 300 in its name. Some things are sacred, even Chrysler 300s.

Appassito

Reaction score
Since my uncle and Godfather John Tuccillo bought his brand new 1953 Chrysler and I saw it, my heart has belonged to Chrysler. Love turned to lust in 1955 when I saw my first Chrysler 300 parked on the street in Astoria, Queens, NY. Lust turned to passion in 1957, when I saw the unbelievable Chrysler 300 C.in a parking garage on Walker Street in Manhattan. Some things you never forget. Today I have inshrined my 2006 Chrysler Crossfire roadster as my “forever ride” in my garage, call it Chrysler worship if you please. Yes this article stirs my drink.
On life support, my beloved Chrysler is desperate for new product and believe me I’ll accept anything, anything to keep her alive. My one request, whatever it’s called Portal, better yet Airflow, incorporate 300 in its name. Some things are sacred, even Chrysler 300s.
For those young ones, in need of a visual memory.

58421994-770-0@2X.jpg

1955 Chrysler C-300

1957+Chrysler+300C-1.jpg

1957 Chrysler 300C

ch1015-224208_12@2x.jpg

2006 Chrysler Crossfire Convertible

UN4GTBL

Reaction score
I don't mind the styling, but I'm not interested in a coupe crossover with a useless cargo area.

TripleT

Reaction score
My wife would instantly be in the market for it.... Has a general form of her current car, and she is interest in EV.

If it resembles the form presented it might be her next car.

vbondjr1

Reaction score
Dodge is sneaky as hell! they also snuck in the new muscle car in that presentation as well. Watch the Ralph Giles presentation section. At about the 13:18 mark till about 13:21 the four door fastback car lines change from white to red and the wheels change to the same wheels on the muscle car in the new E-muscle commercial as well as showing off the more aggressive front and rear design and even the Fratzog on the rear. So now we know what it looks like. A medium to large 4-door fastback with the hideaway headlights from the Charger.

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Dodge is sneaky as hell! they also snuck in the new muscle car in that presentation as well. Watch the Ralph Giles presentation section. At about the 13:18 mark till about 13:21 the four door fastback car lines change from white to red and the wheels change to the same wheels on the muscle car in the new E-muscle commercial as well as showing off the more aggressive front and rear design and even the Fratzog on the rear. So now we know what it looks like. A medium to large 4-door fastback with the hideaway headlights from the Charger.
C3B266EA-AAE8-4C31-A6C4-D712252F2348.png

ScramFan

Reaction score
So if that depiction winds up being accurate, it looks to me that the next gen Charger is getting the more upright C pillar design element from the current gen 300.

That should be a big improvement for law enforcement use. Along those lines, do they plan on making it a hatchback or liftback, and if so, would that be acceptable to law enforcement customers?

vbondjr1

Reaction score
Also at 18:50 and 13:58. Its a Charger. Doing a few basic calculations, a single engine RWD variant should produce around 470hp (330KW) while the AWD variants would have roughly 940hp (obviously just doubling the output) Depending on torque numbers, this could dethrone Tesla and make for a hell of a muscle car. Just a thought here, they're also talking about a midsize truck here and a few other things (with one of the vehicles looking to be about the size of that thing Ford calls a Mustang Mach E) Two vehicles like this influenced by SRT would produce the Dakota R/T and SRT along with a Hornet R/T and Hornet SRT.
The issue I truly hope that Dodge will address is vehicle sound. A muscle car isn't a muscle car without the sound and feel that comes with with a Muscle car and I don't think that Dodge will loose the feel but I'm concerned about the sound. Hopefully Dodge will have that all worked out. If so, I'm interested

Users who are viewing this thread