Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kimi Räikkönen Gives The New 2021 Alfa Romeo GTA & GTAm, His Blessing:

Kimi Räikkönen Gives The New 2021 Alfa Romeo GTA & GTAm, His Blessing:​

Alfa's Hottest Sedan Gets Approval From Former F1 Champion...​

1624588804785.png

Last year, Kimi Räikkönen and Antonio Giovinazzi, from the Alfa Romeo Racing ORLEN F1 team took part in a day of testing of the new Alfa Romeo super sports sedans, the Giulia GTA and GTAm. The testing took place on the famous Balocco Proving Grounds, where all Alfa Romeo sports cars have undergone development since the 1960s. The test secession allowed the F1 drivers to push the cars to their limit and provide real-time feedback.

Last edited by a moderator:

TripleT

Reaction score
Enjoy it while Pepe LeCheapskate still allows cars with passion to still be made. I think we are entering in a similar situation that happen under Daimler. Cost saving above car making. Styling exercises and programming defining the character between brands. Appliances not cars.

Hate to be Debbie downer, but as more news trickles out on the brand product planning this seems to be coming clear. We are in the golden age of ICE cars similar to pre 73', get one and cherish it.

bill burke

Reaction score
Enjoy it while Pepe LeCheapskate still allows cars with passion to still be made. I think we are entering in a similar situation that happen under Daimler. Cost saving above car making. Styling exercises and programming defining the character between brands. Appliances not cars.

Hate to be Debbie downer, but as more news trickles out on the brand product planning this seems to be coming clear. We are in the golden age of ICE cars similar to pre 73', get one and cherish it.
There is no evidence what so ever that Stellantis has plans to squelch performance vehicles or eliminate that culture in their brands. To the contrary, the success of the merger hinges on brand culture and identity. In my opinion the Giulia is a bland car in most renditions. The front is aggressive and immediately identifiable as an Alfa Romeo, but the side, it’s overall look just disappoints. It is up to each brand to execute its own theme and culture. There in lies it’s destiny and not with Pepe LeCheapskate.

TripleT

Reaction score
There is no evidence what so ever that Stellantis has plans to squelch performance vehicles or eliminate that culture in their brands. To the contrary, the success of the merger hinges on brand culture and identity. In my opinion the Giulia is a bland car in most renditions. The front is aggressive and immediately identifiable as an Alfa Romeo, but the side, it’s overall look just disappoints. It is up to each brand to execute its own theme and culture. There in lies it’s destiny and not with Pepe LeCheapskate.

Well Giulia is one the best looking cars in profile on the planets so Not sure where your styling fetish lies but apparently different then people I know. Not sure you understand my comment, and your post seems to confirm that. STYLING is not the only thing that gives character, and if that is the distinction between models the company has become Appliance manufacture. One need to look deeply into Pepe's brand strategy and you will find that what defines vehicles character especially in character driven brands is being planned out.

If one thinks raw performance and styling is what makes a Alfa a Alfa then one profoundly has not spent time in one or studied its history.

I see no evidence that individual brands will have freedom to add character at all beyond programming and styling, to the point it is being bragged about. Codewords "synergy, cost savings, Scale"

bill burke

Reaction score
Well Giulia is one the best looking cars in profile on the planets so Not sure where your styling fetish lies but apparently different then people I know. Not sure you understand my comment, and your post seems to confirm that. STYLING is not the only thing that gives character, and if that is the distinction between models the company has become Appliance manufacture. One need to look deeply into Pepe's brand strategy and you will find that what defines vehicles character especially in character driven brands is being planned out.

If one thinks raw performance and styling is what makes a Alfa a Alfa then one profoundly has not spent time in one or studied its history.

I see no evidence that individual brands will have freedom to add character at all beyond programming and styling, to the point it is being bragged about. Codewords "synergy, cost savings, Scale"
Not to belabor the point but differences in styling tastes is not a fetish and synergy, cost savings and scale is sound business practice that sets parameters but does not eliminate how a brand functions within those parameters. As to the appliance argument, that is also voided by the strong brand support at the core of the corporate plan. One platform, many interpretations and executions. You know that and so does Pepe. Perhaps it is time to take another dive into the facts and that includes a reflective look as to giving space to differing opinions without insult.

Last edited:

TripleT

Reaction score
Not to belabor the point but differences in styling tastes is not a fetish and synergy, cost savings and scale is sound business practice that sets parameters but does not eliminate how a brand functions within those parameters. As to the appliance argument, that is also voided by the strong brand support at the core of the corporate plan. One platform, many interpretations and executions. You know that and so does Pepe. Perhaps it is time to take another dive into the facts and that includes a reflective look as to giving space to differing opinions without insult.

Not sure where you found the insult, trust me I am better at insults then that. Fetish I don't find as a insulting term but like styling what one finds to be a insult is pretty darn subjective, but consensus can be applied to either. It was no more than a shortened term to describe where ones styling passion lies, but like styling I not going to tell you what be offended by.

Coding words for commonality and reductions in diversity is absolutely "appliance'ing", "strong brand support at the core of the corporate plan" does nothing to overcome a lack of mechanical diversity. It is completely counter to the application optimization through computational development and hardware diversification. This became the strength of the FCA product plan. Taking a Architecture and running computational iteration to make a product unique to the application. Everything that Pepe is saying a planning is exactly the opposite. Yes, FCA showed that from the same build points (PLATFORM) you can produce unique and application, but not without a diversity of components. The fact that we are using term platform instead of architecture is more than enough to make the point.

If the plan doesn't continue the lessons learned by FCA, and are exchanged for 90s era application of platform strategy of PSA, which everything being said, written, and leaked indicate. Yes moving forward it will be a Appliance company not a car company.

Again Styling and how you program the powertrain to behave is a 2 legged stool, just enough to fall over, not bring character that Jeep and Alfa require.

Stay positive if you wish, but without driving dynamic tuned to the application sad days are coming in my SUBJECTIVE opinion. There is a Large group of Mopar fans that think the Golden days were when 20 cars were made on the same mechanical components, the GLORY DAYS. Not to me this moment is best ever for Mopar, and history will look back like we do to 68'-73'. Fortunately we will be insulated in NA for a bit of time.

These cars are awesome enjoy them before it nothing but a Samsung on wheels.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
If all goes down don't tell that I didn't warn you. :D

And I said that French care only about styling and cost cutting. For them cars are different only by styling, not mechanically.

@bill burke

Giulia and Stelvio are just gorgeous in person. They are the real example of Italian design. There is no excessive over aggressive line yet cars look aggressive in person due to proportions.

I'm glad to see that Maserati with MC20 and Ferrari with 296 GTB went in the similar dimensions. Proportions are those which give aggression, not some unnecessarily design elements.

Last edited:

bill burke

Reaction score
No time to knit pick...BUT. I’m a fan of Alfa Romeo, have seen literally hundreds running around my area, test drove and seriously considered a Stelvio, there is even a Quattrofolio club that frequents my local car shows, so I’m up close and personal. Truly hope good things come from AR, Jeep, Maserati, Dodge and Chrysler and my portfolio investment in Stellantis. Still believe there is talent enough in all these brand studios and engineering offices to give people like you and me most of what we want from our rides. Pretty much we are on the same page here, just see the story a bit different. Yes, I was a bit offended with the fetish comment in spite of the psychobabble follow up, just so not appropriate by definition or interpretation. Let’s keep rooting for AR, they have so much potential and history. Slow sales of the Giulia just speak volumes that, it seems, great handling and a red hot halo model can not overcome or explain away. Could it be the styling?

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
tumblr_mpah0eGms11rt0tppo1_500.gif

Last edited:

AlexB

Reaction score

Good news is Carlos will hit the magic “Legacy Michigan OEM” 65 retirement age policy with (sometimes) “carryover year of 66”. He turns 63 in August , so maybe North America remain an island.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
Good news is Carlos will hit the magic “Legacy Michigan OEM” 65 retirement age policy with (sometimes) “carryover year of 66”. He turns 63 in August , so maybe North America remain an island.
There is always a bad news or?

Users who are viewing this thread