Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sources Say Melfi Plant To Get New Lineup Of SUVs To Produce In 2024:

Sources Say Melfi Plant To Get New Lineup Of SUVs To Produce In 2024:​

Plant To Build Jeep®, DS Automobiles, Opel, and Lancia Products...​

1623957599133.png

As an integral part of the Jeep® and FIAT brands, the Melfi Assembly Plant in Melfi, Italy, is the production home of the popular Jeep® Renegade and Fiat 500X (for the European and North American markets) as well as the Jeep Compass (for the European market). But now, thanks to various Italian unions associated with Stellantis, we are starting to learn new details about the future of the products to be produced at Melfi in 2024.

Last edited by a moderator:

cygnus

Reaction score
They’re consolidating A-D segments on Opel platforms.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
@cygnus

No, nothing Ople, Peugeot SA.

But in the long run they said that STLA Small will come in 2026 and that it will be for A segment cars.
PSA CMP platform is incapable for it.

Basically they have CMP as B and budget oriented C segment.
EMP2 for C and D segments although they label some cars as E segment.
And segment coverage by platform is not something which I made up, it can be found in PSA documents.

TripleT

Reaction score
Hopefully it will be hybrid platform using lessons from PSA and SUSW with FCA computational development group in India. Especially so the Jeep won't be a styling exercise.

bill burke

Reaction score
What impressed me most is the pace of change that implements what might be called “smart” integration of corporate platforms. There should be little doubt that platform sharing will be a core element of the merger. What impresses is how decisively and again, smartly, that process is happening. This bodes well for a cohesive and clear path forward and a management team that is inclusive and sensitive to brand culture going forward. I am also encouraged by Lancia in the mix, perhaps the only brand more ignored than Chrysler. Hope springs eternal as I read my own story of hope into this announcement. Me, Mopar Willy, maybe I’m smart too, just maybe.

TripleT

Reaction score
Not sure how you can come to that conclusion unless it involves what I have stated. The idea that common universal lower across a diverse application say Jeep to Alfa is a major step backwards towards the 90s. The idea that character is not in the application and driving experience but in styling exercises would be heartbreaking. Turning the company in just another appliance maker, a similar mistake that Eaton made, and Daimler doubled down on.

Now if they continue to use computational flexibility to ensure a optimized product to the application and division using common build points and pull system to make distinctive products they will be fine. But when I listen to Pepe Le Cheapskate talk about cost down it scares the poo out of me. Glad that NA is a bit isolated from that broad sharing platform.

cygnus

Reaction score
@cygnus

No, nothing Ople, Peugeot SA.

But in the long run they said that STLA Small will come in 2026 and that it will be for A segment cars.
PSA CMP platform is incapable for it.

Basically they have CMP as B and budget oriented C segment.
EMP2 for C and D segments although they label some cars as E segment.
And segment coverage by platform is not something which I made up, it can be found in PSA documents.

My mistake, meant to say PSA.

cygnus

Reaction score
Not sure how you can come to that conclusion unless it involves what I have stated. The idea that common universal lower across a diverse application say Jeep to Alfa is a major step backwards towards the 90s. The idea that character is not in the application and driving experience but in styling exercises would be heartbreaking. Turning the company in just another appliance maker, a similar mistake that Eaton made, and Daimler doubled down on.

Now if they continue to use computational flexibility to ensure a optimized product to the application and division using common build points and pull system to make distinctive products they will be fine. But when I listen to Pepe Le Cheapskate talk about cost down it scares the poo out of me. Glad that NA is a bit isolated from that broad sharing platform.

...they're going way beyond that. Look at the upcoming GME-T6 PHEV for North America. GME T-4 will continue to evolve as well.

Upcoming product will differ in both styling + powertrain options.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
Basically for the 2022-2025 or 2026 calendar year timeframe Italy will become Stellantis' production hub for C(compact) and D(midsize) CUV and SUV segments. Keep in mind that I'm using European terms for CUV and SUV. CUV is lower in height, almost like a hatchback or wagon. SUVs are taller. Both are unibody.

So...

Pomigliano - FCA Small Wide Evo
  1. Alfa Romeo Tonale, C segment SUV
  2. Dodge Hornet, C segment SUV

Melfi - STLA Medium
  1. Lancia C segment SUV
  2. DS 7 Crossback, D segment SUV
  3. Opel Grandland, C segment SUV
  4. Jeep Compass, C segment SUV

In addition to those models number 5 and 6 may join them. It depends on a platform choice and plant choice but for sure they will be Made in Italy.
For now I'll count them at Cassino.

Cassino - 2 assemblies, STLA Medium and Giorgio/STLA Large
  1. Maserati Grecale, Giorgio based D segment SUV
  2. Giulia X, STLA Medium or STLA Large based CUV
  3. Peugeot C or D segment CUV, STLA Medium
  4. Lancia D segment SUV, STLA Medium or STLA Large
Already they are making Stelvio at Cassino.

Including Stelvio grand total of C and D segment SUVs and CUVs Made in Italy should total 11.

Users who are viewing this thread