Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does North America Need A Modern-Day Mid-Size Dakota Pickup?

Does North America Need A Modern-Day Mid-Size Dakota Pickup?​

Should The Dakota Nameplate Return?​

1620344894923.png

As the full-size pickup market continues to grow in size and price, automakers in the United States are offering more choices than ever before in the mid-size pickup segment. Manufacturers like Chevrolet, GMC, Ford, Nissan, Honda, and Toyota, are about to be joined by new all-electric options like the Rivian R1T and Alpha Wolf. But where is the RAM brand?

Last edited by a moderator:

JeepBen

Reaction score
I recently test drove a Ford Ranger. I drove it home to test fit it in my garage. I have a small work bench on my side.
The Ranger at a bit over 210" barely fit and I wouldn't be able to get past it without the garage door being open.
The Colorado, Canyon and Tacoma are a couple of inches longer than the Ranger.
The Frontier is just under 206" but I'm sure the new one will be longer than that.
The Maverick will be shorter than the Ranger but I lose rear wheel drive with it. Same with the Santa Cruz.
I would love to see a small to mid size rear wheel drive based Ram no longer than 206", 200 inches would be even better.
Not everyone needs or wants a big bed. The bed size of the Santa Cruz is what I would use. For the rare times I need more I have a utility trailer.
Plus by keeping the bed small in the Dakota it increase sales by being something different verus robbing sales from the full size Ram and Ram Classic.

justbekuz

Reaction score
I recently test drove a Ford Ranger. I drove it home to test fit it in my garage. I have a small work bench on my side.
The Ranger at a bit over 210" barely fit and I wouldn't be able to get past it without the garage door being open.
The Colorado, Canyon and Tacoma are a couple of inches longer than the Ranger.
The Frontier is just under 206" but I'm sure the new one will be longer than that.
The Maverick will be shorter than the Ranger but I lose rear wheel drive with it. Same with the Santa Cruz.
I would love to see a small to mid size rear wheel drive based Ram no longer than 206", 200 inches would be even better.
Not everyone needs or wants a big bed. The bed size of the Santa Cruz is what I would use. For the rare times I need more I have a utility trailer.
Plus by keeping the bed small in the Dakota it increase sales by being something different verus robbing sales from the full size Ram and Ram Classic.

justbekuz

Reaction score
With the upcoming SantaFe and Maverick, taking into consideration the industry's transition to electic and higher fuel prices (AGH), PCA/FCA would be wise to adapt to the US Market with such a vehicle as well as a Journey replacement. But I believe with the changing Biden Model (electrics), the pending national economic policy change will cause manufacturers to again 'off-shore' their models and manufacturing, the abrupt deep sixing of the expense incurrered FIAT chassis, PCA/FCA has too much on their plate for the time being.

bill burke

Reaction score
It is hard not to make a knee jerk statement on this question, but it seems that this market exists and therefore a piece of that market is logical for Ram. Indeed it would seem that importing from Brazil a compact Ram version of a Fiat truck or better, two successful trucks would be an easy decision. Building a RWD mid-size Ram truck off the Jeep Gladiator would also be an easy decision. Most of the R and D work is done and all these new trucks have manufacturing facilities fully capable of building them on short notice. It boggles the mind why these decisions lament and anguish in the boardroom, but they do for some reason. Pardon my violent and uncontrolled knee jerk, BUT, what the heck is going on here to such an obvious answer to this softball question?

patfromigh

Reaction score
Anything built off the Gladiator is going to be expensive, but it won't be a toy. The Jeep Compass and Fiat Toro share the same platform and roll down the same production line together in Brazil. The same thing could be done in Toluca for the Ram version of the Toro.

Unless the Ford Maverick comes in at a reasonable price with a decent power/ fuel economy balance, it will be a flash in the pan. The 3 cylinder Bronco Sports in our fleet have a hard time bettering the fuel economy of the Chrysler minivans we have.

Tony K

Reaction score
It is hard not to make a knee jerk statement on this question, but it seems that this market exists and therefore a piece of that market is logical for Ram. Indeed it would seem that importing from Brazil a compact Ram version of a Fiat truck or better, two successful trucks would be an easy decision. Building a RWD mid-size Ram truck off the Jeep Gladiator would also be an easy decision. Most of the R and D work is done and all these new trucks have manufacturing facilities fully capable of building them on short notice. It boggles the mind why these decisions lament and anguish in the boardroom, but they do for some reason. Pardon my violent and uncontrolled knee jerk, BUT, what the heck is going on here to such an obvious answer to this softball question?
Doesn't Chicken Tax pretty much rule out anything south of Mexico.

Ron14149

Reaction score
I've had two new Dakota's. 1995 V8, manual trans and a 1998 5.9 R/T. I loved them both. If Ram brings out a new Dakota I will seriously consider. Depends on pricing and options. I would really like to see a Hybrid model with crew cab and short bed.

CJanetH

Reaction score

Does North America Need A Modern-Day Mid-Size Dakota Pickup?​

Should The Dakota Nameplate Return?​

View attachment 4519

As the full-size pickup market continues to grow in size and price, automakers in the United States are offering more choices than ever before in the mid-size pickup segment. Manufacturers like Chevrolet, GMC, Ford, Nissan, Honda, and Toyota, are about to be joined by new all-electric options like the Rivian R1T and Alpha Wolf. But where is the RAM brand?

I was a diehard F 150 person for years, by necessity drove a GMC Sonoma, now very happy in a Dakota. Cannot imagine going back to a regular cab and its size has been more adequate than I expected.
With increasing gas costs for the forseeable future, a midsize quad cab makes a lot of sense. There should at least be a Texas edition.

Tony K

Reaction score
Here's a great point. If you want to sell something and not have it cannibalize FS trucks too much, don't make it too attractive against just that one segment. It should be just big enough to do a high percentage of the job well enough, but not so many that it eats heavily into 1500's territory. That's why when someone says a Dakota should have the ability to load a 4x8 between the wheelwells, I disagree. OG Dakota neither had nor needed that. If you need to do that, you need a half ton, a trailer, or a rental. Most folks would be best served with a true small midsize and a trailer, which they may need anyway. With this as an option, I would bet quite a few folks would, that wouldn't even look at a 1500.

patfromigh

Reaction score
The Dodge Grand Caravan could load 4 x 8 panel between the wheel wells. The Dakota had indents in the bed to allow for cross supports for carrying panel boards. The big concern was and is overloading.

ajm4857

Reaction score
I would love to see a new Dakota quad cab . I still have my 2001 and love my truck. If they could make that again with the 4.7liter v8 that would be so awesome.

patfromigh

Reaction score
Here is something to muddy the waters. Notice that diesels and hybrids lead the list for fuel economy. Such trucks are usually the most expensive because diesel emissions controls and hybrid electric batteries are expensive. Mid-size trucks don't vary much from the full size trucks for fuel economy.

I love how the Ram TRX anchors the bottom. It isn't fuel efficient like a Toyota.:D

Tony K

Reaction score
If they could make that again with the 4.7liter v8 that would be so awesome.
That engine is dead and buried. If they come out with any new V8, which is extremely unlikely, I suspect it will be smaller than that. European V8s are in the low 4L class, as that's the optimum size per cylinder. More likely this class of vehicle is going to have a turbo 4 or 6, like the GME Tornado Inline 6.

Users who are viewing this thread