Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jeep® Introduces New 2021 Cherokee Freedom Edition!

Jeep® Introduces New 2021 Cherokee Freedom Edition!​

Military-Themed Package Comes To Cherokee Lineup...​

1616182603936.png

The Jeep® brand has celebrated its military heritage for the past couple of years with a unique Freedom Edition package for its iconic Wrangler lineup. For 2021, Jeep has decided to expand its Freedom Edition offerings to other vehicles in its portfolio, including the 2021 Jeep Cherokee (KL). The Freedom Edition hasn’t appeared on the … (read full article...)

Last edited by a moderator:

bill burke

Reaction score
NO, I'm not going to argue that the next generation Cherokee should be built on a shortened Grand Cherokee platform again and NO I'm not going to laud the current Cherokee as a very good vehicle as a two time lease consumer again. I hear the silence, some chuckles perhaps. Nope, this time I'm going with plan "B" as perhaps more realistic. This time I will call for addressing the few flaws the Cherokee has, remember I have driven them for almost six years, sorry. Please Jeep make it a tad longer, a tad wider, refine the 9 speed automatic even more, especially throttle response and upgrade the interior, especially the door panels and soft touch points and your good to go for a few more years. Those short comings, as well as Cherokee six year boredom syndrome, motivates me on planning on leasing a two row 2022 Grand Cherokee in August. BUT, with these plan B improvements, heck you never know What I do know is that something is needed to give Cherokee a more distinguished personality and more appeal in the marketplace. Of course there is always plan "C"..... do nothing.

TripleT

Reaction score
But Bill that is exactly what they want you to do, buy the next model up.

They do need to move the Cherokee up as the Grand has, Your suggestions is correct.

Personally I wanted them to turn the engine the right way and engineer it to still move down the line, similarly to how other new models are coming out with new architecture and still in the same capacity.

Then 9-spd doesn't matter, Articulation goes way up, balance goes way up. 3.0L doesn't have to fit between the fenders.

I would return to a more edgy style that traditionalists complained about, but frankly helped set it apart in a crowded segment.

bill burke

Reaction score

They do need to move the Cherokee up as the Grand has, Your suggestions is correct.

Personally I wanted them to turn the engine the right way and engineer it to still move down the line, similarly to how other new models are coming out with new architecture and still in the same capacity.

Then 9-spd doesn't matter, Articulation goes way up, balance goes way up. 3.0L doesn't have to fit between the fenders.

I would return to a more edgy style that traditionalists complained about, but frankly helped set it apart in a crowded segment.
Just concluded a drive from southeastern Florida to LI, NY and my 2019 Cherokee Overland just was a pleasure to drive on my 4,000 adventure back and forth. It is hard for me to find fault with this Jeep and it’s high end features and characteristics. In mixed driving my V-6 averaged 27 mpg and on the highway it is quiet, comfortable and competent, so much to applaud. I’m 5.9 and 175 pounds and the seats, though designed and made to a high level, are just a bit too narrow for my posterior. My luggage was a tight fit, a bit more cargo room is a definite need. I love the looks, Jeep did a great refresh. That said, I’m drawn to the larger Jeep, as I’ve owned three Grand Cherokees and liked them a lot, especially that extra room, but my wife loves the easy to park and navigate size of the Cherokee.
I think I am leaning to a GC Summit, but job one is keeping the boss happy. I think you get it.

Archknight

Reaction score
This should be what replaces the Cherokee:
20200905_231156.jpg20200905_231235.jpg

The sketch implies a much sportier model and RWD layout. It would also emphasize a push for Jeep to go further upmarket. I hope they simplify the line up for the next generation to about 4 main trims--Limited, Trailhawk, Overland, and Summit. I think that if they eliminated so many trims the quality would be even higher.

bill burke

Reaction score
View attachment 4222View attachment 4223

The sketch implies a much sportier model and RWD layout. It would also emphasize a push for Jeep to go further upmarket. I hope they simplify the line up for the next generation to about 4 main trims--Limited, Trailhawk, Overland, and Summit. I think that if they eliminated so many trims the quality would be even higher.
You capture, certainly from my perspective, a design direction for Cherokee. Why not one Jeep model that pushes the envelope? Why not free Cherokee from the shadows of Compass and Renegade and the less capable, oh too similar, FWD architecture? Why not make it wider, longer, more traditional Jeep in character and capability by sharing its platform and assembly facilities with the Grand Cherokee? Cost has been argued, overlap has also, but the logic, benefits and opportunity of freeing Cherokee in styling boldness and capability, and away from those lesser FWD shadows makes me ask, WHY NOT ? Man that rendering just makes my point on steroids. Well done Archknight !

Archknight

Reaction score
I
You capture, certainly from my perspective, a design direction for Cherokee. Why not one Jeep model that pushes the envelope? Why not free Cherokee from the shadows of Compass and Renegade and the less capable, oh too similar, FWD architecture? Why not make it wider, longer, more traditional Jeep in character and capability by sharing its platform and assembly facilities with the Grand Cherokee? Cost has been argued, overlap has also, but the logic, benefits and opportunity of freeing Cherokee in styling boldness and capability, and away from those lesser FWD shadows makes me ask, WHY NOT ? Man that rendering just makes my point on steroids. Well done Archknight !
I'm hoping it shares the new Grand Cherokee architecture, which would start putting Jeep in a different league. Overlap is no longer an excuse as every brand does it, people will buy the model that resonates with them. Whatever replaces Cherokee shouldn't just fill the gap between Compass and Grand Cherokee, but also start to challenge some of the entry premium models.

TripleT

Reaction score
What is beautiful about the Architecture model that FCA used is that is not carrier dependent, think of it as a church built and various foundation points but using the same theme. It was and I use was cuz I worried the french appliance maker will abandon it for "cost reasons" this being false as implementation cost will out weigh the saving if abandoned. So no you don't have to move the KM to Michigan to have it share architectures with Stelvio and Grand Cherokee.

Tony K

Reaction score
Just concluded a drive from southeastern Florida to LI, NY and my 2019 Cherokee Overland just was a pleasure to drive on my 4,000 adventure back and forth. It is hard for me to find fault with this Jeep and it’s high end features and characteristics. In mixed driving my V-6 averaged 27 mpg and on the highway it is quiet, comfortable and competent, so much to applaud. I’m 5.9 and 175 pounds and the seats, though designed and made to a high level, are just a bit too narrow for my posterior. My luggage was a tight fit, a bit more cargo room is a definite need. I love the looks, Jeep did a great refresh. That said, I’m drawn to the larger Jeep, as I’ve owned three Grand Cherokees and liked them a lot, especially that extra room, but my wife loves the easy to park and navigate size of the Cherokee.
I think I am leaning to a GC Summit, but job one is keeping the boss happy. I think you get it.
My BiL just traded his Patriot in on a 19 Cherokee last week. I haven't seen it, as I had to drive to New Hampshire, and my sister was driving it when I stopped in to see him and my 2 year old niece. Really likes it. They traded her Patriot in on a 2 year old Journey when they had the baby. Her Journey is much nicer than the one our folks had before they upgraded to a new Grand Cherokee a couple years ago.

UN4GTBL

Reaction score

All that sounds perfect to me.

The only addition I would make is to make the cargo area more square and get rid of the sloped rear window design.

I've done several road trips in my Cherokee (Toronto to NH, VT, QC and back, Toronto to TN x 3, etc) too, and it's such a pleasure to drive with the features and technology on it. I got my best MPGs on my way back from TN in 2019 at 26.3 MPG in my 3.2l Trailhawk. I also used the 4x4 and the off road abilities of it when I was there.

My last time to Tennessee we took a rental Caravan and the difference between that and my KL was very evident to me, but I guess that's a good thing considering the age of both vehicles.

I'm 6'2" and about 190lbs and I love the front seats in mine. I do like to alternate between the heated and vented function on the trip and I always get to my destination feeling great, and the ACC means I'm not exhausted after driving 14 hours.

I do echo your thoughts on cargo room.

View attachment 4222View attachment 4223

I worry about how sloped that rear roof area is. I would prefer it if they did something closer to the roof on the new Bronco Sport.

I am ok with having the Limited and base Trailhawk as the lower levels as that should improve quality in general too.

Reaction score
I recently purchased the 2021 Jeep Cherokee Freedom edition!! super excited being a Marine Veteran and my very first Brand New vehicle ever. To say I’m disappointed is a massive understatement!! I knew I was getting a 4CL vehicle but the issues that have immediately revealed themselves with only 5,000 miles on it are astounding and nothing that I would have noticed during a 20 min test drive. The fact the Jeep never, NEVER reaches 9th gear is the initial thing I noticed, while my engine is screaming at me on the highway to get to 80Mph, it rarely will hit 8th and consistently runs in 7th. I have to shift to manual just to view what gear I’m struggling in. Any incline at all it hates, small short gradual, down shifts and engine start yelling like I’m going up something 90 degrees vertical!! This is at quarter or slight push on the gas peddle not half throttle, not peddle to the floor!! Which brings me to my biggest concern, Merging into traffics or passing a vehicle is extremely scary and I avoid it if possible with no power in lower gears and red lining to get up to speed, those vehicles in the on coming traffic is terrifying!! I took my brand new Jeep into be looked at because I just couldn’t believe that this awesome 2021 Jeep I purchased was running so harshly, It had to have something wrong…NOPE, basically I was told never expect to hit 9th gear, and it’s a 4CL what did you expect. If I had one thing to say nice is it looks good and that’s all!! When I think about how I am paying 38K for this lemon I seriously almost cry!

AlexB

Reaction score
I recently purchased the 2021 Jeep Cherokee Freedom edition!! super excited being a Marine Veteran and my very first Brand New vehicle ever. To say I’m disappointed is a massive understatement!! I knew I was getting a 4CL vehicle but the issues that have immediately revealed themselves with only 5,000 miles on it are astounding and nothing that I would have noticed during a 20 min test drive. The fact the Jeep never, NEVER reaches 9th gear is the initial thing I noticed, while my engine is screaming at me on the highway to get to 80Mph, it rarely will hit 8th and consistently runs in 7th. I have to shift to manual just to view what gear I’m struggling in. Any incline at all it hates, small short gradual, down shifts and engine start yelling like I’m going up something 90 degrees vertical!! This is at quarter or slight push on the gas peddle not half throttle, not peddle to the floor!! Which brings me to my biggest concern, Merging into traffics or passing a vehicle is extremely scary and I avoid it if possible with no power in lower gears and red lining to get up to speed, those vehicles in the on coming traffic is terrifying!! I took my brand new Jeep into be looked at because I just couldn’t believe that this awesome 2021 Jeep I purchased was running so harshly, It had to have something wrong…NOPE, basically I was told never expect to hit 9th gear, and it’s a 4CL what did you expect. If I had one thing to say nice is it looks good and that’s all!! When I think about how I am paying 38K for this lemon I seriously almost cry!
Start the lemon law process in your state.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score

agree with @AlexB

Users who are viewing this thread