Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RAM's "Long-Hauler" Concept Is The Ultimate Cross Country Hauler:

RAM’s “Long-Hauler” Concept Is The Ultimate Cross Country Hauler:​

Towing, Comfort, & Range...​

2011-Ram-5500-Long-Hauler-Concept.-Ram-4-scaled.jpg

Back in February, we briefly about the growing occupation of expediting or “hot shot trucking”. While there are several different options now available to the commercial trucking world, not many people realize that RAM was actually working on building a truck for those who haul heavy loads across the country...

Last edited by a moderator:

CaliforniaRafe

Reaction score
As the humble owner of a 2009 Dodge Ram 3500 used to pull a 15,000 lb GVWR Toy Hauler, the Ram Longhauler has an amazing appeal even though it would be a Herculean machine for my comparatively light Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler.
What crosses my mind is what such an animal would cost?
My truck with an auxiliary fuel tank totals 95 gallons which gives me an approximate 1,000 mile distance between filling.
A 160 gallon setup would give me an approximate 1,6000 distance between filling.
These estimates are based on 10 MPG towing my RV.
I drove from Mesa, Arizona to Fontana, California once without towing and averaged 17 MPG with my 6.7 Cummins.
This animal has a distinct niche as the author of the article has indicated.
However, in my humble laymans opinion, I don't see how this model would be commercially successful with such a small market.
160 gallon fuel tank supply will definitely outlast any of Elon Musk's Electric battery and the Electric Vehicle's charging station availability compromised by charging time.
A longhauler wants to "giddy up'" and go.

3millionmilemike

Reaction score
If it could remain affordable it would be a great idea, but I see this exceeding the 100,000 dollar mark as the 3500 that are well equipped with bells and whistles are already at 90,000, I bought a used 2020 3500 bighorn with the standard Cummins for right at 50,000 and it cost me an additional 6000 to set it up for hot shot, I added 7500lbs Firestone air assist bags with a compressor a 91 gallon auxiliary fuel tank, A back rack with a mounted oversize light a B and W 25k fifth wheel hitch and a 20,000lbs curt hitch turn over ball, with that I am all in at 56,000 but this number will grow as I add more to my truck to make my job a little easier, yet I am far below the 100,000 mark that the “long hauler” would be hovering around.

patfromigh

Reaction score
Ram Trucks didn't have any big news at the Work Truck show virtual event last week. ZF, on the other hand, showed off their new PowerLine 8-speed automatic transmission for medium duty trucks. Rated for 1,000 lbs. of torque, the PowerLine can handle the torque of the HD Ram's standard 6.7 Cummins, but not that of the HO. On the positive side of the ledger, the transmission is good for up to 57,000 lb. GCW.

The reason I bring this up is that this new ZF transmission is directly related to the current 8-speed found in Rams and Jeeps. ZF has stated the heavier duty version can be hybridized similar to the unit found in the Wrangler 4Xe model. I think now would be the time for a new Long-Hauler concept. The Cummins B6.7 has been powering hybrid transit buses for the last 15 years in all sorts of weather. So a diesel hybrid is not anything new. If done correctly, a contemporary Long-Hauler concept would provide an idea for a serious electrified alternative to those battery electric pickups, not yet in production, but now being offered as consumer toys.

BTW, this article on the Long-Hauler brings to mind another concept from 1998, the Dodge Big Red truck.

ScramFan

Reaction score
Ram Trucks didn't have any big news at the Work Truck show virtual event last week. ZF, on the other hand, showed off their new PowerLine 8-speed automatic transmission for medium duty trucks. Rated for 1,000 lbs. of torque, the PowerLine can handle the torque of the HD Ram's standard 6.7 Cummins, but not that of the HO. On the positive side of the ledger, the transmission is good for up to 57,000 lb. GCW.

The reason I bring this up is that this new ZF transmission is directly related to the current 8-speed found in Rams and Jeeps. ZF has stated the heavier duty version can be hybridized similar to the unit found in the Wrangler 4Xe model. I think now would be the time for a new Long-Hauler concept. The Cummins B6.7 has been powering hybrid transit buses for the last 15 years in all sorts of weather. So a diesel hybrid is not anything new. If done correctly, a contemporary Long-Hauler concept would provide an idea for a serious electrified alternative to those battery electric pickups, not yet in production, but now being offered as consumer toys.

BTW, this article on the Long-Hauler brings to mind another concept from 1998, the Dodge Big Red truck.

I think I remember someone with knowledge posting back in the day that ultimately, the extended range that the extra large fuel tank gained you, was cutting too far into the payload/tow rating to be worthwhile on this class of vehicle.

Mopar392

Reaction score
ZF, on the other hand, showed off their new PowerLine 8-speed automatic transmission for medium duty trucks. Rated for 1,000 lbs. of torque, the PowerLine can handle the torque of the HD Ram's standard 6.7 Cummins, but not that of the HO. On the positive side of the ledger, the transmission is good for up to 57,000 lb. GCW.

The reason I bring this up is that this new ZF transmission is directly related to the current 8-speed found in Rams and Jeeps. ZF has stated the heavier duty version can be hybridized similar to the unit found in the Wrangler 4Xe model.

Dodge/Jeep/Ram can’t complain about not having the transmission to support a 1000hp and 1000ft.lbs Hybrid Hellcat.

patfromigh

Reaction score
The PowerLine transmission weighs around 350lbs. I have no idea what the 8-speeds in the Hellcats weigh. I also don't know how much parts sharing the two transmissions series have with each other. I'm sure the people in Auburn Hills know these things.

Users who are viewing this thread