Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jeep® Grand Wagoneer Patents Found By Our Readers:

Jeep® Grand Wagoneer Patents Found By Our Readers:​

Are These Images Of The Concept Or Production Models?​

1615351026076.png

With only two days before the unveiling of the all-new 2022 Jeep® Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer (WS) models, several of our readers have sent us a link to copies of the patent drawings for what appears to be the all-new SUV duo. We received dozens of e-mails over the last two days, telling us that … (read full article...)

Last edited by a moderator:

bill burke

Reaction score
Jeep has put itself in a commanding position to be dominant in the SUV market with the next generation Grand Cherokee, Wagoneer and the new Wrangler as well as the updated Compass and Renegade. The glaring exception is the fast aging and misaligned Cherokee, which is a good vehicle that needs to be much better. With the launch of the Bronco, it’s most aggressive competitor, the Cherokee will immediately be at a disadvantage in capability. Frankly, the Cherokee should be a North American only offering and a powerful one at that, but the only solution is to go RWD and a become a bit longer and wider, more capable, more Jeep. Currently it is too close in size, configuration and character to the Compass, which with its lower price, steals sales from its near twin, and allow it to stand out and compete in its domestic market. As is, it just confuses the global segment and really should exit gracefully and leave it to Compass and Renegade.
The solution is to produce a Grand Cherokee based midsize spinoff built on the Grand Cherokee assembly line once the Durango moves to its new platform and assembly line. The Cherokee will be better in every way, better positioned in the domestic market to do battle with all comers. This brilliant move frees up the existing assembly plant for the cleverly masked return of Peugeot to North America with ultra modern reskinned vehicles badged as Chrysler’s.
I know I have championed this idea repeatedly, but to me, it’s beyond logical, it’s a sea change event that saves Cherokee and Chrysler absolutely.

patfromigh

Reaction score
I felt the same way about a rear drive Cherokee as well. We will know a lot more tomorrow about the Wagoneer lineup, but I continue to be curious about the 2 row Grand Cherokee. The price might come in close to the higher Cherokee trims. That would make a shorter four cylinder powered Cherokee on the same platform a hard sell.

In my opinion the way forward for the Cherokee in the next generation is off-road sport. A 4Xe Cherokee Trailhawk with edgier styling would be the anti-Bronco. The rear drive Bronco's main Jeep nemesis is the Wrangler. The front drive based Bronco Sport competes against the Renegade and Compass.

bill burke

Reaction score
I felt the same way about a rear drive Cherokee as well. We will know a lot more tomorrow about the Wagoneer lineup, but I continue to be curious about the 2 row Grand Cherokee. The price might come in close to the higher Cherokee trims. That would make a shorter four cylinder powered Cherokee on the same platform a hard sell.

In my opinion the way forward for the Cherokee in the next generation is off-road sport. A 4Xe Cherokee Trailhawk with edgier styling would be the anti-Bronco. The rear drive Bronco's main Jeep nemesis is the Wrangler. The front drive based Bronco Sport competes against the Renegade and Compass.
Not sure on the overlap with the GC, but by abandoning the former segment occupied by the old GC, maybe something an inch or two shorter, positioned in a proven Jeep niche, can be filled again by the Cherokee. Price, styling and marketing should lessen any overlap. This new Cherokee configuration is the only path foreward where the Cherokee can reinvent itself or sadly, its more of the same old same old, not a good thing. Regardless of who the competition is, the need for a mid size Jeep is clear and the current Cherokee, configured so similar to its smaller Jeep relatives, fails to meet expectations or establish clearity.

TripleT

Reaction score
Well until you drive one or take it off road ..... I guess if one just consider a Cherokee and Compass as a tall wagon void of driving dynamic or off road capability, I suppose they have a giant cross over. Considering them, Not much at all. Cherokee drives and performs a entire class above the economy car roots of the Compass. Not even complaining about the value a Compass presents.

I get that there is appeal to a Jeep styled appliance, but in the end those 2 elements are keys to the Jeep Hierarchy.

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure on the overlap with the GC, but by abandoning the former segment occupied by the old GC, maybe something an inch or two shorter, positioned in a proven Jeep niche, can be filled again by the Cherokee. Price, styling and marketing should lessen any overlap. This new Cherokee configuration is the only path foreward where the Cherokee can reinvent itself or sadly, its more of the same old same old, not a good thing. Regardless of who the competition is, the need for a mid size Jeep is clear and the current Cherokee, configured so similar to its smaller Jeep relatives, fails to meet expectations or establish clearity.
Grand Cherokee is midsize. Cherokee is compact.

Cherokee competes with Equinox, Escape, Rogue, and CR-V while Grand Cherokee is in the same size class as the Edge, Blazer, Murano, and Passport.

Mopar392

Reaction score
I thought the Grand Cherokee is a Full-size 5-seater Crossover, while Durango is the 7-seater one, and Cherokee is the midsize one.

Users who are viewing this thread