Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Dodge Durango SRT Hellcat Production Will Run Until June!

2021 Dodge Durango SRT Hellcat Production Will Run Until June!​

Dealers Get Updated On The Limited Edition Model...​

DG021_175DUdf9icdpop6dkvtb3une4i0p3fl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

bill burke

Reaction score
Dodge has done an amazing job “hot rodding” the Durango, but in the end, shackled by its original intent as a large SUV, it does stretch the case in the Dodge performance defined brand lineup. That does not defeat the argument that Dodge needs some type of high performance utility vehicle in its lineup and that I propose is the long, long, long awaited Journey replacement. The cautious, glacial pace of product development at FCA really shows here, frozen in place by restricted budgets and corporate priorities that help some brands at a cost to others, especially Dodge and Chrysler. I have put forward repeatedly a case for a downsized Grand Cherokee spinoff platform for three vehicles, a two row Cherokee replacement for Jeep, a three row SUV for Chrysler and a high performance crossover Journey replacement for Dodge. This downsized Grand Cherokee potentially overcomes all the shortcomings of the three brands and can be built on the same assembly line as the new GC. Time is wasting as we look for platform consolidation with Stellantis product, this plan is too good and too needed to ignore.
As for Durango, the next generation body on frame model becomes a Ram Durango and another brand is enhanced easily and consistent with brand image. I’m I out of sync here or does this case make sense?

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Dodge has done an amazing job “hot rodding” the Durango, but in the end, shackled by its original intent as a large SUV, it does stretch the case in the Dodge performance defined brand lineup. That does not defeat the argument that Dodge needs some type of high performance utility vehicle in its lineup and that I propose is the long, long, long awaited Journey replacement. The cautious, glacial pace of product development at FCA really shows here, frozen in place by restricted budgets and corporate priorities that help some brands at a cost to others, especially Dodge and Chrysler. I have put forward repeatedly a case for a downsized Grand Cherokee spinoff platform for three vehicles, a two row Cherokee replacement for Jeep, a three row SUV for Chrysler and a high performance crossover Journey replacement for Dodge. This downsized Grand Cherokee potentially overcomes all the shortcomings of the three brands and can be built on the same assembly line as the new GC. Time is wasting as we look for platform consolidation with Stellantis product, this plan is too good and too needed to ignore.
As for Durango, the next generation body on frame model becomes a Ram Durango and another brand is enhanced easily and consistent with brand image. I’m I out of sync here or does this case make sense?
It's moving to the Ram platform, not the Ram brand. Just like the Wagoneer is on the Ram platform but isn't a Ram Wagoneer, the Durango will still be under the Dodge umbrella.

bill burke

Reaction score
It's moving to the Ram platform, not the Ram brand. Just like the Wagoneer is on the Ram platform but isn't a Ram Wagoneer, the Durango will still be under the Dodge umbrella.
Not for a moment did that thinking escape me, but putting the large and repurposed Durango neatly in the Ram portfolio, saves Dodge the agony of putting a performance face on an even less appropriate vehicle, dragging down the Dodge image, while also allowing Ram to join the SUV party with an established model. That rebranding enhances, not detracts from either brand. No oversight here, just my logic in approaching a confirmed vehicle in the most advantagious placement. Yup, I meant Ram Durango, absolutely.

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Not for a moment did that thinking escape me, but putting the large and repurposed Durango neatly in the Ram portfolio, saves Dodge the agony of putting a performance face on an even less appropriate vehicle, dragging down the Dodge image, while also allowing Ram to join the SUV party with an established model. That rebranding enhances, not detracts from either brand. No oversight here, just my logic in approaching a confirmed vehicle in the most advantagious placement. Yup, I meant Ram Durango, absolutely.
There wouldn't be enough difference between that and a Wagoneer to justify a separate a model. At least they can focus on performance appearance and engines in a Dodge.

bill burke

Reaction score
There wouldn't be enough difference between that and a Wagoneer to justify a separate a model. At least they can focus on performance appearance and engines in a Dodge.
They do it with Chevy and GMC. Rebadged spin offs have worked for decades and the fact remains whether Dodge or Ram there will be overlap. The Journey replacement can be a fire breathing SUV, the crossover Dodge needs now and Durango under Ram just bring truck buyers to the table with a clearly truck based SUV. Respectively, that would be my call on this positioning discussion.

LordHobbit

Reaction score
Or create their own sub-brand Durango like they are with Wagoneer?

Mopar392

Reaction score

What makes you think a BOF SUV won’t fit Dodge’s performance image??

Users who are viewing this thread