Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will the Dodge Viper return ?

Will the viper return ?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Luisdavid458

Reaction score
Hey insiders,
I would like to know if the dodge viper will make a comeback in the future.
Thanks !!

Muther

Reaction score
The Viper will most assuredly NOT come back. The Viper had a hand made, single vehicle platform, and a dead man walking engine. To survive in its then present form, to bring its platform and engine into compliance with ever tightening regulations, it would have needed outsized capital investment it would never have been able to payback.

It’s very existance was an anachronism, and doomed Viper to an eventual death. It’s days were numbered the day it was launched. We all knew it, we just didn’t want to admit it to ourselves.

It’s spiritual successor is said to be on its way (2022/23ish). This car will certainly not be called Viper. FCA isn’t going to try to tame the snake again.

The coming car (NOT-A-VIPER) will be a production line car. It will be the same FMR layout (engine in Front of driver, Mid mounted engine, Rear wheel drive) as Viper. No body is currently speculating on the engine, though some believe it will debut the mythical “Gen-IV” hemi.

It will share its platform with a similar yet very distinct Maserati GTO, and an Alfa Romeo Alfieri. The Maser will be the same thing the current Gran Tourismo is, a super grand tourer, well into the exotic spectrum. The Alfa will be the rebirth of the classic Italian sports car. Though we don’t know for sure, the NOT-A-Viper will be the super athletic, overpowered, knuckle dragging American jock. Uncultured and unapologetic.

That is what we know currently.

Luisdavid458

Reaction score
@Muther thanks for the info.
The (NOT-A-VIPER) replacement car should be epic. Imagine it with the hellephant motor.
The Viper will most assuredly NOT come back. The Viper had a hand made, single vehicle platform, and a dead man walking engine. To survive in its then present form, to bring its platform and engine into compliance with ever tightening regulations, it would have needed outsized capital investment it would never have been able to payback.

It’s very existance was an anachronism, and doomed Viper to an eventual death. It’s days were numbered the day it was launched. We all knew it, we just didn’t want to admit it to ourselves.

It’s spiritual successor is said to be on its way (2022/23ish). This car will certainly not be called Viper. FCA isn’t going to try to tame the snake again.

The coming car (NOT-A-VIPER) will be a production line car. It will be the same FMR layout (engine in Front of driver, Mid mounted engine, Rear wheel drive) as Viper. No body is currently speculating on the engine, though some believe it will debut the mythical “Gen-IV” hemi.

It will share its platform with a similar yet very distinct Maserati GTO, and an Alfa Romeo Alfieri. The Maser will be the same thing the current Gran Tourismo is, a super grand tourer, well into the exotic spectrum. The Alfa will be the rebirth of the classic Italian sports car. Though we don’t know for sure, the NOT-A-Viper will be the super athletic, overpowered, knuckle dragging American jock. Uncultured and unapologetic.

That is what we know currently.
@Muther, thanks for the info.
The (NOT-A-VIPER) replacement should be epic. Imagine if it comes with the hellephant motor.

Muther

Reaction score
Right now almost nothing is known about where the new car will sit. It could be a lightweight, cheaper car, aimed more toward tracks/competition—this would be the so called “Baby-Viper” for which Ralph Gilles has lobbied. It would come with a smaller, compact engine, using forced induction. This is the space the NSRT4 used to occupy (NSRT4 is the Neon based SRT4).

If they went that direction, well, that car is a legend. They’d really have to bring it. That car had 20% more power than almost all of its competitors.

If Dodge could build an I4T (In-line 4, turbo) with 350+hp, they could make a go of it.

The car could occupy the space left by Viper. This car would most likely use the highest output engines available. It would remain $100,000+. Unlikely, as this is where the Alfa will likely be.

Or, It could be aimed squarely at Corvette. Dodge/SRT have shown a lot of willingness to go toe to toe with their competition. This is where I think it will go. Base price sub $50,000, topping out over $100,000 for the world beater.

By the time Ralph wears out his ACR, this car would be ready.

Nobody knows.

Last edited:

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Maybe the upcoming not-a-viper will be the dodge barracuda?
https://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/barracuda.html

I could see the size and proportions of the Maserati GTO/Alfa Alfieri being modified to produce a pretty sweet looking barracuda with some retro styling mixed in.

Maybe coming in 2020, as a 50th anniversary of the 1970 e-body? Just completely speculating...

Muther

Reaction score
The Barracuda name has sailed. The only way that name would be accepted would be if they made a true successor to the old car, as they did with Challenger—IMO. There are too many folks that consider that nameplate sacred.

Dodge does own quite a few other good names. Sebring is the Grand Daddy of all American road race tracks. The Dodge Monaco—one of Europe’s most famed tracks. Dodge Daytona—seems natural. I am particularly partial to Dodge Javelin/AMX. Of course the person who names Dodges couldn’t leave it at that. They have to call it the...

Wait for it...

Dodge Javelin/AMX Road&Track R/T SRT Scat Pack GT T/A Widebody DemoCatEphant.

I’d buy it, just so I could tell people they could only drive it if they gots its name right.

Muther

Reaction score
The Barracuda name has sailed. The only way that name would be accepted would be if they made a true successor to the old car, as they did with Challenger—IMO. There are too many folks that consider that nameplate sacred.

Dodge does own quite a few other good names. Sebring is the Grand Daddy of all American road race tracks. The Dodge Monaco—one of Europe’s most famed tracks. Dodge Daytona—seems natural. I am particularly partial to Dodge Javelin/AMX. Of course the person who names Dodges couldn’t leave it at that. They have to call it the...

Wait for it...

I’d buy it, just so I could tell people they could only drive it if they gots its name right.
I forgot Reseye. Throw in a Redeye in there somewhere, too.

Rustydodge

Reaction score

Wait for it...

Yeah i read the barracuda name died as well, but that was a while back. I think the proportions of the car could allow for retro styling to honor the name, and i'm sure Dodge wont disappoint on the performance. Also, the timing could work for the anniversary. And the logo/emblem could be hellcat'd/demonized/hellephant'd to look pretty cool.

Daytona or javelin could work. I'd vote no on the sebring or monaco. There are other plymouth names but i doubt them highly. As a roadrunner fan, i wouldn't be upset to see that name again. Imagine a demonized roadrunner logo LOL

Rustydodge

Reaction score
So a saw some youtube videos on Driveway Demons channel. Apparently this guy is getting emails from an insider

2021 is supposedly going to be "the year". One video said Dodge is actively working to get hellephant to pass emissions. Will go into a lightened charger. Instead of 305s tires will go to like 325. Another says a Cuda/Barricuda/Angel/not-a-viper is coming on the G platform and it is apparently already built, but they are waiting due to success of challenger hellcat/demon/redeye.

What say you? I think it could be legit. This lines up with that Jay Leno video where he (Manley i think) says they are working on a 8 second car.

Luisdavid458

Reaction score
So a saw some youtube videos on Driveway Demons channel. Apparently this guy is getting emails from an insider

2021 is supposedly going to be "the year". One video said Dodge is actively working to get hellephant to pass emissions. Will go into a lightened charger. Instead of 305s tires will go to like 325. Another says a Cuda/Barricuda/Angel/not-a-viper is coming on the G platform and it is apparently already built, but they are waiting due to success of challenger hellcat/demon/redeye.

What say you? I think it could be legit. This lines up with that Jay Leno video where he (Manley i think) says they are working on a 8 second car.

Yes I have seen the videos of DD and I think it brings very interesting points. He also mentions in the videos that possibly the hellcats now with the hellephant will bring AWD which makes sense if they are doing an 8-second car.
Apparently dodge will continue with the line of muscle cars since the challenger and the charger will stay on the same platform (LX) but with major modifications. They will also bring a light car on the Giulia platform (possible cuda) that will be more orintad to the track.

However, there is no rumor of the replacement of the viper.

Blown7

Reaction score

Is this the guy with the slippery Mohawk haircut?? Most real insiders discount what he says..

MoparJoe

Reaction score
Understood. But still better than watching our politicians. Both U.S. and Canada !

Jared B

Site editor
Staff member
Reaction score
I, along with some others was just talking about that guy and his videos the other day. He's an idiot and I don't believe he has any source whatsoever.

Look at the timeline on some of his videos that have believeable stuff, usually he will make a video after we run an article or Allpar does revealing new information. Then he says it's from his source and throws his own flavor all over everything spreading ridiculous rumors.

In one of his widebody charger videos he posts a picture of a red charger with a widebody kit, swears the photo was leaked and is 100% not photoshopped. Well the original non photoshopped picture is on the media site. That's not to say a widebody Charger isn't coming, I think we all know one is at this point.

Hellephant coming to production vehickes? No. Also the only thing shared between the hellephant and the upcoming 426 NA V8 is the displacement. Usually they will make a crate motor out of a production motor, not turn a crate motor into a production motor.

He's also had a few photographers go after him for using spy photos without purchasing them and blurring out the websites name that actually rightfully owns the photos.

Sorry for the rant but I honestly can't stand the guy and the BS that he spreads not to mention the way he goes about it.

Muther

Reaction score
Yeah, like I said before, this hlguybjust reads this website, and the other one, then makes a video.

He is exploiting a new market. It takes time and effort to make YouTube videos that people want to watch. It could be something that MoparInsiders could do themselves, and beat him to the punch.

Users who are viewing this thread