Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why no new Dodge RamCharger?

ChargerFan1

Reaction score
They're leaving a lot on the table by not offering this. It seems every other person in town has a Bronco which proves not everyone wants a wrangler or they had one and dont care to get another for whatever reason. These real BOF 4x4's are a top traded for vehicle from the muscle cars which makes it another no brainer to have one come directly from Dodge, not Ram, and keep it boxy and retro with the turbo 6's.G45jF3YY82.XdhwcjVsK.jpg

patfromigh

Reaction score
What was the original Bronco morphed with each passing generation into what we know today as the Expedition. The Chevy Blazer eventually morphed the same way into the Tahoe. The Ford Bronco of today is trying to recapture the essence of the 1960's original. I'll keep my opinion of how successful Ford was in achieving their goal to myself.

Half of the US population will have the Chevrolet Blazer EV and other similar products as their only choice of SUV type vehicles. If that other half want a more serious off-roader there might be the Jeep Recon available. Sometime around then Dodge will offer something built on the STLA Frame platform, according to internet rumors. Remember, the Ramcharger shared much with its pickup truck brethren in the past and today we are waiting for the Ram EV pickup truck.

patfromigh

Reaction score
What do the Dodge Ramcharger and Fiat 500X have in common? Both die from slow lingering deaths in our marketplace. The final years of the Ramcharger in the US had very Fiat like sales. It lived on to see another generation in Mexico for nearly a decade, but not here. With this in mind, could a business case be made to bring such a vehicle back? Large SUV sales are currently tanking, which makes such a proposition even harder.

Yes, I am serious about the Chevy Blazer, because for half the population of our country, zero emissions mandates will be the reality of the marketplace in a few years. When the Dodge Durango goes away, what will replace it? Take a good look at the Ram EV pickup truck proposals and then see what was done to create the final Mexico only Ramcharger. The last Ramcharger was a marriage of a shortened Ram truck with a minivan rear hatchback. Auburn Hills people are working on the next generation of vehicles based on the STLA frame platform. There will be a BOF large SUV from this sold under either the Dodge or Ram brand. It won't be a two door. Such a vehicle will be a more utilitarian vehicle than its Jeep cousins sharing this platform, because this vehicle will also be sold to municipal fleets. Will there be an ICE version available? We don't know. There will definitely be a battery electric because the government is telling us that we want this.

Now eat ze the bugs.

ChargerFan1

Reaction score
Nope, lead or get out of the way. This is a red hot segment and Dodge needs to be part of it. Period.

IdpAHtp.jpg

ukYWqtQ.jpg

Appassito

Reaction score
"This is a red hot segment"........................ ?????????????????????
i do not agree.
On the way out.

ChargerFan1

Reaction score
"This is a red hot segment"........................ ?????????????????????
i do not agree.
On the way out.
Yeah, VW made an entire new Scout brand for a segment thats "on the way out" and we all know wrangler and 4runner sales have been in the toilet for the last while. I should have known better than to post this here in the echo chamber. My apologies, I wont do it again. All the best with your caravans and k-cars, guys.

patfromigh

Reaction score
Nope, lead or get out of the way. This is a red hot segment and Dodge needs to be part of it. Period.
Two door pickup truck based SUVs are dead, and won't come back in my lifetime. As far as leading the way, the Jeep Recon (or whatever it is called) will arrive first, well before the Scout. The fun part is VW said they will follow a boutique marketing scheme to sell this. Fiat USA should be proud because imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Will VW's Scout survive the looming World Court battle and trade war started by the Inflation Reduction Act ?

VW made an entire new Scout brand for a segment thats "on the way out" and we all know wrangler and 4runner sales have been in the toilet for the last while.
VW hasn't made anything. Whatever the Scout is it won't be made by VW. The two leading contenders for building this smoke and mirrors project are Magna Steyr and Foxconn. If Magna is chosen it should be a winner, if Magna driveline parts are used. If Foxconn gets the nod, no matter how far into the wilderness one travels, the CCP will always know where they are. The only two door Jeep is the regular Wrangler and its sales aren't significant. The Toyota 4Runner is hot because people are buying it like its going out of style. Seriously, it is going out of style. There will soon be a hybrid version, but that won't be enough to satisfy the zero emissions states. There will also be a battery electric version to compliment a BE Tacoma. There won't be a 2-door 4Runner, the segment is dead.

Lets review the facts
1. The pickup truck based, BOF, two-door large SUV Chevy Blazer, Ford Bronco and Dodge Ramcharger all were phased out decades ago. They were replaced by larger SUVs, or in the case of the Ramcharger, it was replaced by a smaller 4-door Durango. The market continues to split that way, massive BOF SUVs and midsize SUVs only some of which are BOF. Nearly everything is 4-door.

2. Europe and a bakers dozen of US states have zero emissions mandates. These particular US states contain around half of the US population and this impacts greatly on the automobile market.

3. Right now the VW Scout exists only on paper. If it ever becomes reality it will be battery electric only, and also late to the game.

4. It is most likely Dodge will get a BOF SUV. It will be battery electric, see fact #2. There might be some ICE powered versions for red states, but don't count on it.

5. Someone who partakes of too much MSM will accept those media sources as reality. The threads on this forum are watched by a number of people from different locations globally. They often bring perspectives from outside the MSM bubble and have access to unfiltered news sources. We need their perspective. This isn't an echo chamber.

Appassito

Reaction score
Yeah, VW made an entire new Scout brand for a segment thats "on the way out" and we all know wrangler and 4runner sales have been in the toilet for the last while. I should have known better than to post this here in the echo chamber. My apologies, I wont do it again. All the best with your caravans and k-cars, guys.
You are all over the place.
The point you made was: "Dodge RamCharger keep it boxy and retro with the turbo 6's"

That is an old fashioned 2 door waste of time thing, in my opinion. And is on the way out.
Nothing to do with Scout or "wrangler and 4runner sales".

And I drive Maserati and am in the proces of restoring a Lancia Thema 8.32 (and can not stand "caravans and k-cars")

Please keep on posting you normally make good points.

ChargerFan1

Reaction score
You are all over the place.
The point you made was: "Dodge RamCharger keep it boxy and retro with the turbo 6's"

That is an old fashioned 2 door waste of time thing, in my opinion. And is on the way out.
Nothing to do with Scout or "wrangler and 4runner sales".

Please keep on posting you normally make good points.
Did you hear dodge is bringing back a BOF (body on frame, for the kids) 4x4 to be shown in 2023? I am sure you heard Durango is dead....

RamCharger

fl0116-230776_11.jpg

STLA Frame, will be a dodge, not a ram, built in one of the BEV plants to replace decade old durango - will use Jeep tech to head off Ford Bronco and International Scout.

Last edited:

patfromigh

Reaction score
Ram will introduce their Ram Revolution concept at the CES, which is less then a month away. There are threads about this here on Mopar Insiders. This concept will be based on the STLA Frame platform. The rumor that Dodge would get their own version of the Wagoneer has been around awhile. I don't expect it to have the 106 inch wheelbase of the last Ramcharger models sold here. It will be closer to Wagoneer sized. I do expect it to share a power-train with the Ram Revolution EV.

Users who are viewing this thread