Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who's responsible when your vehicle is damaged after you leave it at the car dealership?

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
Who's responsible when your vehicle is damaged after you leave it at the car dealership?
by Connie Thompson
Wednesday, May 9th 2018

<iframe width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://komonews.com/embed/news/cons...?external-id=97066822606c45398d90a8c46e2f9353"></iframe>

Leaving your car at the repair shop overnight is often the most convenient way to get work done. But, who pays if your car gets damaged in the process?

Contrary to what many may assume, there is no hard and fast law.

Carol Rosser recently learned that after someone smashed a window in her Dodge Durango.

met her in front of an auto glass repair shop where she went to get the window replaced. But when vandals damaged and ransacked her Durango, it was parked in a car dealer's fenced lot.

"They told me that sometime during the night someone smashed a rear window and got into our vehicle," Rosser explained.

Rosser and her husband felt the dealer should have to pay for repairs.

"At the very least, we were surprised they weren't willing to fix the window for us, at their cost," she said.

The Durango was parked at Chrysler Dodge Jeep RAM of Seattle.

Owner Mark Benson showed me the secured lot where customer cars are kept overnight.

The lot is surrounded by a tall chain link fence that's topped with 3 layers of barbed wire. Benson says the lot has surveillance cameras and the gate is locked every night.

"We always want to make sure that we try to go above and beyond, and do what ever we can to try to protect the consumer's vehicle," Benson said.

Benson also showed me the repair authorization form, which every customer signs, to acknowledge that the dealer is not responsbile for loss, if the cause is beyond their control.

To Read The Rest Of The Article...
http://komonews.com/news/consumer/w...aged-after-you-leave-it-at-the-car-dealership

Users who are viewing this thread