Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What would YOU like to see in a Ram midsize pickup and why? **not a rumor thread**

Freshforged

Reaction score
Like the title says, I’m not looking for rumor material, cause there are other threads for that. Instead I’m interested to hear what features/capabilities would you want/expect from a Ram midsize? I’ll start out:
  • I’d need the pickup to fit in my narrow driveway, so I’d want it to be roughly the size of the 2nd gen Dakota.
  • I would be using this pickup for the occasional garbage run/trips to the lumber yard but otherwise as a commuter to and from work (20 miles round trip) so a 2-door extended cab/standard bed would be just fine.
  • 4 cylinder engine preferable since I’m not doing any really heavy hauling, although since I’m just a short commute a BEV option might be nice.
  • I like the idea of having lockable bed storage so a Rambox option would be great.
  • Realistically, I’d have a hard time justifying much more than 30,000 for an ICE vehicle. Might be able to go as high as 45,000 for a BEV.
Is any of this realistic, probably not, but it’sa good outline of my wants/needs. How about you?

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Just make at a mini version of the current Ram 1500 (about the size of gen 2 dakota, maybe a touch bigger):
  • Decent sized crew cab
  • Front bench seating
  • Rambox
  • Hemi with ZF 8 speed available
  • 48" between rear fenders
Honestly, i'd consider stepping down from my 1500 to the upcoming Jeep JT if it had a little more rear seat room in the crew cab.

Since the above list will never exist on a mid sized ram, i'll be sticking with 1500 for foreseeable future.

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
  • 38-40" of legroom in the rear seats. I don't think this is too much to ask since the Durango and Grand Cherokee have 38.6" in the second row. However, the Chevy Colorado only has 35.8" in the rear. Ram should make a midsize truck with enough room that it doesn't feel like a cramped economy car in the rear seat.
  • Inline-6 turbo TR/TRX with eTorque.
  • 12" screen, ventilated front seats, adaptive cruise, and a 360 camera available.

Freshforged

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys.
What I’m hearing so far is
  1. Lots of passenger space/people carrying capacity.
  2. Relatively high engine performance.
  3. Modern amenities/infotainment center.
  4. Rambox without sacrificing too much cargo volume.
Keep it coming!

UN4GTBL

Reaction score
Basically, a 2002-2004 Dakota Quad Cab with the 2.0T or 3.6 connected to the 8-speed ZF transmission.
Current interior with current Uconnect systems. I don't think the 12" would be needed here, unless you want a really, really luxurious mid-size truck.
LED exterior lighting, and modern safety features (ACC, LKA, BSM, etc)

LordHobbit

Reaction score
Bare bones nothing special.
Two door
short or long bed
multiple engine options
8 speed auto
crank windows
manual door locks
4wd

low price

I think vehicles and options are getting very extravagant and I like very simple interiors. This is most likely to be a get around town, haul a thing or two, do some yard work etc vehicle so I don't need much frill. Just something functional. Or it'll be for my teenagers to drive around and they don't need the distractions. Hence the '92 dakota I just purchased and fixed up.

Freshforged

Reaction score
Bare bones nothing special.
Two door
short or long bed
multiple engine options
8 speed auto
crank windows
manual door locks
4wd

low price
Soul brother!

Will re compile the top wishes later today

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
If it's Made in Mexico it will be based on a metric ton pick-up. That's a workhorse.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
CHR2000083027459__mid.jpg

A modern take on the 1997 to 2004 Dodge Dakota... best looking pickup ever in my option.

CHR199809011028__mid.jpg

338142T-0211__mid.jpg

CHR199712010442__mid.jpg

Make it the same size, but like two inches wider. It can have turbo I-4, V6 powertrain and a V8 for performance model only. It doesn't need a 12.1-inch UConnect... 8.4-inch will do.

Freshforged

Reaction score
  1. 2nd gen Dakota sized (wider?!)
  2. 8-speed auto
  3. Short bed and 8’ bed option
  4. I4 standard but optional I6 turbo or v8 (little red truck?)
  5. Wide range of wishes for the info-tainment system from high-end to low (or none at all)
  6. Extended cab standard, with optional club/quad cab
  7. Style derived from 2nd gen (little big-rig mark 2)
  8. 2wd standard with 4wd optional
  9. BEV option (just me so far!)
  10. Rambox option (still just me)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread