Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the future of the Belvidere Assembly Plant?

William C

Reaction score
I am an employee of 26+ years in the skilled trades at the Stellantis assembly plant in Belvidere IL. We currently build the Jeep Cherokee. It was recently announced that the plant will be indefinately "idled" as of Febuary 28th, 2023. To date, nothing has been announced to be built at the plant. I understand that the equipment at the Belvidere plant will be moved to the Toluca assembly plant in Mexico, where the Cherokee will continue to be built.
The plant is one of the largest in the corporation, has a stamping plant attached to it and has lots of open land around it for expansion. The J.D. Power Awards for Manufacturing Quality, Bronze was given to the plant in 2020. When operated by FCA, before the merger in 2021 to form Stellantis, Belvidere assembly achieved the silver level World Class Manufacturing (WCM) for quality, the only assembly plant to do so in north america.

It would seem to make sense, given the plant's history of high volume production, and quality, that a much needed affordable electric vehicle would be slated to be built there.

TripleT

Reaction score
Certainly the capacity will be needed, to effectively build EV you need a logistically close battery plant. We should all keep a look out for State and federal grants for such thing.

cygnus

Reaction score
I am an employee of 26+ years in the skilled trades at the Stellantis assembly plant in Belvidere IL. We currently build the Jeep Cherokee. It was recently announced that the plant will be indefinately "idled" as of Febuary 28th, 2023. To date, nothing has been announced to be built at the plant. I understand that the equipment at the Belvidere plant will be moved to the Toluca assembly plant in Mexico, where the Cherokee will continue to be built.
The plant is one of the largest in the corporation, has a stamping plant attached to it and has lots of open land around it for expansion. The J.D. Power Awards for Manufacturing Quality, Bronze was given to the plant in 2020. When operated by FCA, before the merger in 2021 to form Stellantis, Belvidere assembly achieved the silver level World Class Manufacturing (WCM) for quality, the only assembly plant to do so in north america.

It would seem to make sense, given the plant's history of high volume production, and quality, that a much needed affordable electric vehicle would be slated to be built there.

I would love to see Belvidere produce the Ram 1500 / 2500 / 3500 / 4500, and I am fighting for this internally. EVs are not the silver bullet certain people think they are.

Thank you for your 26 years of service - people such as yourself are the backbone of Chrysler. Don’t let anyone else tell you otherwise.

William C

Reaction score
I would love to see Belvidere produce the Ram 1500 / 2500 / 3500 / 4500, and I am fighting for this internally. EVs are not the silver bullet certain people think they are.

Thank you for your 26 years of service - people such as yourself are the backbone of Chrysler. Don’t let anyone else tell you otherwise.
Thank You! I too would love to see the Ram trucks come to Belvidere. At this point, anything would be nice!

lamin90

Reaction score

I hope that Stellantis will reconsider its decision to shut down the Belvidere factory and instead invest in the factory to produce a new electric vehicle. This will be a great opportunity to create jobs, revitalize the local economy and help Stellantis achieve its goal of becoming a leader in the electric vehicle market.

cgseller

Reaction score

I hope that Stellantis will reconsider its decision to shut down the Belvidere factory and instead invest in the factory to produce a new electric vehicle. This will be a great opportunity to create jobs, revitalize the local economy and help Stellantis achieve its goal of becoming a leader in the electric vehicle market.
You may want to continue reading the forums : Stellantis to build All New Belvidere assembly plant, existing Belvedere plant becomes Mopar Hub+ 2028 Battery plant .

Users who are viewing this thread