Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unifor says FCA committed to US$355M investment in Windsor Assembly Plant

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
FCA Canada committed to the Windsor Assembly Plant Wednesday by informing Unifor officials the company will invest US$355 million in the plant for future product in the next 12 months, according to union leaders.

“There’s no question Fiat Chrysler is committed to Windsor,” said Unifor national president Jerry Dias after meeting with Mark Stewart, FCA North America’s Chief Operating Officer, for 90 minutes at Toronto’s Royal York Hotel.

“The bottom line is they’re investing for future product. It doesn’t mean it’ll save the third shift, but that’s what we’ll work on now.”

I’m happy Jerry Dias had a productive meeting with Chrysler
It was the first formal sit down the two sides have held since FCA announced three weeks ago it was eliminating the third shift and 1,500 jobs at the Windsor Assembly Plant as of Sept. 30.

The company has blamed softening sales of the Pacifica and Grand Caravan for the decision.

Unifor says FCA committed to US$355M investment in Windsor Assembly Plant

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm still hoping for a Pacifica SUV. Can it be done with 355 milions?

TripleT

Reaction score
I'm still hoping for a Pacifica SUV. Can it be done with 355 milions?

Pretty sure that what the Passport will be ..... that for the plant.... the development should already be done. Tooling capital might be in that. Depends on the part sharing.

ViperDave

Reaction score
They need to show or tease something really soon. A lot of people are writing off the Chrysler brand.

TripleT

Reaction score
Write it off then, they don't do that anymore. They sell what they have not what the might have in the future. Since they have been outperforming the industry there is no reason to change that. Stuff will show up about 6month before launch since that architecture has so many other model it will be tough to spot until the last hour. Commanders are everywhere is Detroit Metro.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
Write it off then, they don't do that anymore. They sell what they have not what the might have in the future. Since they have been outperforming the industry there is no reason to change that. Stuff will show up about 6month before launch since that architecture has so many other model it will be tough to spot until the last hour. Commanders are everywhere is Detroit Metro.

Is it the same architecture as Commander?

I'm expecting Pacifica's twin SUV, something larger than Commander.

Same assembly plant usually means similar car width.

TripleT

Reaction score
Commander and Pacifica are the same Architecture.... Adding a bit length for the NA market would be wise. CUSW+ Remember 2 different architectures run at Winsor now.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
Commander and Pacifica are the same Architecture....

Same build points?

Adding a bit length for the NA market would be wise. CUSW+

Against which product will they offer it?

But most likely if it will share production capacity with Pacifica than they will be similarly wide.

Back in the past we've talked both about Chrysler "Commander" and Pacifica SUV. Two different products. Mid size and large size SUVs.

TripleT

Reaction score
Again WInsor runs two entirely different architectures now. Running 2 closely related architectures, that share more than they do not would be easier.

Especially if you want to change the architecture in Belvedere.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm still hoping that we'll seen not one but two Chrysler CUV/SUV models in the near future.

Page2171

Reaction score
I'm still hoping that we'll seen not one but two Chrysler CUV/SUV models in the near future.

Right there with you. A mid-sized and a large would be nice and would likely be something my wife would be interested in. She doesn't want a Jeep or anything that feels "trucky" to her, which doesn't leave many choices in FCA's current lineup.

Users who are viewing this thread