Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two die in Tesla crash in Texas with nobody behind the wheel

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score

Two die in Tesla crash in Texas with nobody behind the wheel​

'There was no one in the driver’s seat'​

1618834296902.png

Two men died after a Tesla vehicle, which was believed to be operating without anyone in the driver's seat, crashed into a tree on Saturday night north of Houston, authorities said.

“There was no one in the driver’s seat," Sgt. Cinthya Umanzor of the Harris County Constable Precinct 4 said.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
How is that possible? I mean with no eyes on the road a properly designe car should stop or otherwise shouldn't be allowed by the authorities, i.e. it should be outlawed.

AlexB

Reaction score
How is that possible? I mean with no eyes on the road a properly designe car should stop or otherwise shouldn't be allowed by the authorities, i.e. it should be outlawed.
Well these are the “semi-Autonomous/Strong Driver Aid “ stuff which confuses people into think they are actual full autonomous. But “Autopilot”name throws people off.

Criminy

Reaction score
Wow! A car that sophisticated should have it's own fire suppression system. Four hours to extinguish? That's nuts. Is that what car crashes between two or more electric vehicles is going to look like?

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow! A car that sophisticated should have it's own fire suppression system. Four hours to extinguish? That's nuts. Is that what car crashes between two or more electric vehicles is going to look like?

That is exactly what I have been saying. Also, each manufacturer has a different way to disconnect their battery so they can effectively start extinguishing the car. So that means fire departments are going to need to know a different technique for each vehicle.

Criminy

Reaction score
That is exactly what I have been saying. Also, each manufacturer has a different way to disconnect their battery so they can effectively start extinguishing the car. So that means fire departments are going to need to know a different technique for each vehicle.
Indeed. Our brave new world is going to invite a whole new host of problems. Let’s hope we rise to meet the challenge. I’m all for advancements in automotive engineering so long as they temper it with common sense safety precautions.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
Indeed. Our brave new world is going to invite a whole new host of problems. Let’s hope we rise to meet the challenge. I’m all for advancements in automotive engineering so long as they temper it with common sense safety precautions.

Local dealer told me Chrysler is paying $10k per person in retraining its dealer network to work on plug-ins

Criminy

Reaction score
Local dealer told me Chrysler is paying $10k per person in retraining its dealer network to work on plug-ins

I'm glad they're investing in their future. I'm sure at some point, this will become second nature to techs and service advisors alike. It will shift from tribal knowledge to common knowledge. Electric vehicle maintenance will require a completely new skill set and changes to existing certification criteria.

TripleT

Reaction score
Dead short electric fires are a special sort of thing. You can actually start magnesium and Aluminum on fire. It not like a car has any of those metals in it. :D

I really not sure what you can do any sort of high impact with these multi-cell units creates creates dead short in a manner uncontrollable and nested deep inside the unit. Letting it burn may be the only solution or until the charge is gon.

Criminy

Reaction score
Dead short electric fires are a special sort of thing. You can actually start magnesium and Aluminum on fire. It not like a car has any of those metals in it. :D

I really not sure what you can do any sort of high impact with these multi-cell units creates creates dead short in a manner uncontrollable and nested deep inside the unit. Letting it burn may be the only solution or until the charge is gon.
Fire trucks are going to have to start putting out car fires by blowing sand on them since you can't use water to extinguish magnesium fires.

Users who are viewing this thread