Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tim Kuniskis interview: Electric is coming for performance, but currently ''Not Cost-effective''

AlexB

Reaction score
FCA says Electrification is the Future of Performance
Earlier today, FCA showed us the 2021 Dodge Durango SRT Hellcat (a 710-horsepower family SUV powered by a supercharged 6.2-liter V8) and Challenger SRT Super Stock (an 807-hp muscle car on drag radials powered by a supercharged 6.2-liter V8). As such, you could have knocked us over with a feather when we heard FCA North America Head of Passenger Cars Tim Kuniskis say that electrification will eventually come to the company’s sporty cars.
“We’re very interested in electrification, specifically for performance,” Kuniskis told Motor1.com in an exclusive interview. “I think it is absolutely the future of performance, and it’s what is going to enable performance to exist amid [environmental] regulations.

“I’m not going to say there’s no way to avoid it, because I’m not looking at it as something we want to avoid,” Kuniskis says. “I think it’s going to be the next evolution, the next step of even higher performance than anything that we’ve seen up until this point. It’s going to open up massive capability.”

His zeal for electrified performance is somewhat uncommon among performance enthusiasts, a group to which Kuniskis certainly belongs. He was a key player in advocating for Dodge’s first supercharged muscle cars, the 2015 Charger SRT Hellcat sedan and Challenger SRT Hellcat coupe. But speaking with him, it’s clear that he’s enthusiastic about the performance and power that electrified powertrains enable.

“Right now, electrification is not cost-effective,” he says. “Let’s say you have a trim that you want to make into an awesome electrified performance car, and you’re going to sell 5,000 of them. There’s no way to justify the expense to do that because of the cost of technology.”
However, by amortizing development costs over models with wider appeal, electrified performance becomes possible. “When the cost...comes down across the mainstream, now that opens up the door for the crazies,” he says.
This interview happen while FCA was releasing the 2021 Dodge Durango SRT Hellcat,...a great look by Bob here: The Wait Is Over! Meet The 2021 Dodge Durango SRT Hellcat: - Mopar Insiders

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread