Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Detroit News - Next Dodge Challenger will get electric-motor boost

TripleT

Reaction score
Just fill in the blank.... Model "fill in the blank" will get Electric boast. Everything will get some sort of electric option whether Mild, PHEV, or EV.... not just FCA everywhere. The article is like saying Mike Manley confirms the sun will come up tomorrow.

Blown7

Reaction score
So no other alternative is being considered besides electric???

Luisdavid458

Reaction score
What I dont like is this quote of the CEO:

"What it isn’t going to be is a V-8, supercharged, 700-horsepower engine."

AlexB

Reaction score
Also another:FCA execs 'bullish' on Pacifica and future in Windsor

"What I can tell you is the passenger vehicles that we continue in our brands are important, particularly the Dodge vehicles,” he said. “They’ve done well for Dodge this year even though that segment has been under pressure and they’re part of the Dodge DNA. That’s going to continue. Pacifica is very very important for us, not just in terms of the relationships it’s helped us form, with Waymo as an example, but Chrysler is known as a leader in people movers. That’s where the Chrysler brand continues to be developed.”

Muther

Reaction score
Don’t worry, though the battery technology is largely there, the plant capacity is still a ways way.

All of these new electric cars will need the new battery chemistry now coming online, and the ability to produce the chemistry in mass quantity just doesn’t exist yet.

The absolute bleeding edge car makers have plans in place to intro the new chemistry as soon as 2020 (very low production numbers).

Volkswagen has already said it’s production will be 100% BEV by 2025. And, there are respected experts that estimate 2029/30 will be the year that BEVs are more economical than ICE to produce, and own.

So, you have until then, or at least according to “the experts”. As a SME (subject matter to expert) in the field, I am inclined to agree with them.

After that, you’ll be like me. I have to go to the used market, because the cars I want simply aren’t made.

The new chemistry is very promising, too. The lowest of expectations doubles the energy density of the most dense current technology. It is pretty apparent that the new chemistry will easily outlive the car, and possibly even outlive the person that owns the car (one team claims to have a chemistry that allows for 23,000+ deep charge/discharge cycles—63 years in other words). Recharge times, safety, cost of manufacture, raw materials, and reliability all have commensurate improvements.

So, imagine a Tesla with at least twice the density, and five times the life, that recharges relatively quickly, with zero associated risks? That car would decimate any gasoline car in any chosen race. The only way ICE would be better is sexiness and allure.

Blown7

Reaction score
Don’t worry, though the battery technology is largely there, the plant capacity is still a ways way.

All of these new electric cars will need the new battery chemistry now coming online, and the ability to produce the chemistry in mass quantity just doesn’t exist yet.

The absolute bleeding edge car makers have plans in place to intro the new chemistry as soon as 2020 (very low production numbers).

Volkswagen has already said it’s production will be 100% BEV by 2025. And, there are respected experts that estimate 2029/30 will be the year that BEVs are more economical than ICE to produce, and own.

So, you have until then, or at least according to “the experts”. As a SME (subject matter to expert) in the field, I am inclined to agree with them.

After that, you’ll be like me. I have to go to the used market, because the cars I want simply aren’t made.

The new chemistry is very promising, too. The lowest of expectations doubles the energy density of the most dense current technology. It is pretty apparent that the new chemistry will easily outlive the car, and possibly even outlive the person that owns the car (one team claims to have a chemistry that allows for 23,000+ deep charge/discharge cycles—63 years in other words). Recharge times, safety, cost of manufacture, raw materials, and reliability all have commensurate improvements.

So, imagine a Tesla with at least twice the density, and five times the life, that recharges relatively quickly, with zero associated risks? That car would decimate any gasoline car in any chosen race. The only way ICE would be better is sexiness and allure.

I attended a conference last week and we discussed Lithium-Ion battery design and application as it related to aircraft and I was very surprised by the new technology in a battery weighing 60 per cent less and has virtually no amperage and voltage loss over a long time was amazing. It was interesting that each battery has it's own computer chip that regulates it's operation to even keeping itself warm to 20 below zero.

I don't know whats beyond the horizon.

Mastertech63

Reaction score

Am I the only one hearing Rush's "Red Barchetta" in his head? Only in the song it was gleaming alloy air cars, but one can imagine that replaced with electric cars!

Muther

Reaction score
I attended a conference last week and we discussed Lithium-Ion battery design and application as it related to aircraft and I was very surprised by the new technology in a battery weighing 60 per cent less and has virtually no amperage and voltage loss over a long time was amazing. It was interesting that each battery has it's own computer chip that regulates it's operation to even keeping itself warm to 20 below zero.

I don't know whats beyond the horizon.
I know right?
Elon Musk vowed that by 2022 Tesla batteries would retain 97% of their original seigniorage capacity for the life of the car-25 years.

John B. Goodenough (invented LI-Ion chemistry) says that his teams chemistry is good for 50 years, with a 60% weight reduction, 200% energy density, 10% of the charge time, cheaper to make, no rare earths, more reliable and safer (no possibility of thermal issues). It’s crazy.

Muther

Reaction score
Right now the rush is on. Each country wants to corner this market. The research is almost 100% paid for by US firms and agencies, but every single country is paying big money to try to be the first to market with it.

Users who are viewing this thread