Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The 2020 Jeep Renegade Will Offer A PHEV Variant

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
The 2020 Jeep Renegade Will Offer A PHEV Variant
The Renegade Will Be The First Vehicle With FCA's New PHEV System...

renegades-780x405.jpg

You may remember that quite a while ago, we published spy pictures of a Jeep Renegade testing with a lightning bolt symbol on its windshield. We speculated that this meant a Renegade would soon be offered with some sort of electrification, possibly the eTorque mild-hybrid system.

Thanks to European sources, we now believe that it is actually a plug-in hybrid (PHEV) variant of the Renegade. We believe that early in 2020, the PHEV variant of the Jeep Renegade will go on sale.

Renegade4.jpg

This is an all-new PHEV architecture for FCA. It’s not the same one used in the Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid. This system is the P1P4 system. P4 means that it will have an e-axle – in this case, a rear one, so a driveshaft will not be necessary.

Development of this system took place mostly at an Italian research and development center. The Jeep Renegade PHEV is a crucial part of FCA plan to reach 2021 fleet CO2 emission for EU market, but we believe this will not be limited to European markets – most likely, it will also be offered in North America.

The heart of this system will be the new 1.3-liter turbocharged inline four-cylinder engine with 180 horsepower that is found on the 2019 Jeep Renegade, replacing the 2.4-liter Tigershark inline four-cylinder on the Limited and Trailhawk trim levels. Our sources indicate that together with an electric motor, this powertrain will offer a total output of around 250 horsepower.

renegadephev.jpg

As you can see in the picture above, a slide from the latest 5-year plan, the P1P4 system used on the 2020 Renegade PHEV will spread to other vehicles in the FCA lineup as well. It is not confirmed, but the Jeep Compass would be a good recipient of this powertrain since it shares a stretched version of the Small US Wide (SUSW) architecture on which the Renegade (and Fiat 500X are based).

Stay tuned to MoparInsiders as more details arrive on FCA’s exciting new engines. Thanks to our forum member @Bili for this article.

Morty

Reaction score
And they say work is underway at Melfi, to prepare for the production.

mopar22

Reaction score
Whats the difference between phev, hev, and mhev? I'm guessing bhv is full electric

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Whats the difference between phev, hev, and mhev? I'm guessing bhv is full electric
PHEV = you plug in to charge the hybrid system but still has a gas engine, like Pacifica Hybrid and Chevy Volt.
HEV = hybrid, doesn't need to be plugged in. Regular Prius and Camry Hybrid are examples of this.
MHEV = mild hybrid. Ram 1500 and Jeep Wrangler with eTorque.
and yes, BEV = battery electric vehicle. No gas at all.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
There will be 6 cars with this particular PHEV arhitecture.

I pressume that all will be FWD based.
500X and Compass are likely candidates. But we have 3 more missing.

AlfaCuda

Reaction score
There will be 6 cars with this particular PHEV arhitecture.

I pressume that all will be FWD based.
500X and Compass are likely candidates. But we have 3 more missing.

500, 500SW and Panda?

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
I just have one doubt...
The Renegade was released for MY15 in 2014. By 2020 it will be 6 years old!

How long do they plan to keep producing this generation of the Renegade (and 500X for that matter) to warrant the development of a PHEV system in this generation of vehicles?

Why not wait a year and launch the new generation already designed taking that into consideration? Or do they plan to produce the 500X and Renegade for 10 years, until the models are so old that no one will be interested in them anymore?

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
500, 500SW and Panda?

I will not make any guess.

I will just say that policy of most EU brands is to offer BEV for small cars and PHEV for bigger ones.
AFAIK FCA will apply similar policy. 500 will have a BEV version. But bigger cars will have a PHEV versions.

And this particular PHEV arhitecture can be applied to any FWD based cars. CUSW cars included.

I just have one doubt...
The Renegade was released for MY15 in 2014. By 2020 it will be 6 years old!

How long do they plan to keep producing this generation of the Renegade (and 500X for that matter) to warrant the development of a PHEV system in this generation of vehicles?

Why not wait a year and launch the new generation already designed taking that into consideration? Or do they plan to produce the 500X and Renegade for 10 years, until the models are so old that no one will be interested in them anymore?

Jeep Renegade production has started in August 2014. So it will have a usual 7 year life cycle in August of 2021.

All new Renegade is in 5 year plan. I can't see it happening before 2022.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
And they say work is underway at Melfi, to prepare for the production.

Yes. Pilots in 2019 with production in early 2020.

From what I heard they dismantled Fiat Grande Punto production lines. And there they will make PHEV model or models.

Investment is worth around €200 million. That's around $230 million.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
Renegade PHEV will have a 11.4 kWh battery.

For comparison Pacifica is using 16 kWh battery.

mopar22

Reaction score

I wonder how much better the hybrid 4x4 will be then the pacifica. As it stands now the 2.4 is already a smidge better then just the v6 pacifica in terms of mpg

Deckard Cain

Reaction score

Probably due to the difference in size but 11.4kWh battery is small. I wouldn't expect more than 30km of electric range.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
Probably due to the difference in size but 11.4kWh battery is small. I wouldn't expect more than 30km of electric range.

I think that it's not small for such a small car. Pacifica is much larger. So I don't expect much lower range on Renegade.

Of course Renegade as any P4 PHEV system will have a lot of different modes. All electric, for maximum power, etc.

Don't forget that in all electric mode Renegade will be a RWD car.

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
Yeah, I checked that and also the new 3 series PHEV will only have a battery with a range 20% superior to the old 7.6 kWh battery. Simple math puts the new 330e battery at 9.12 kWh.
So yeah, the range in the Renegade PHEV might be good. :)

If it's enough for 50km of real (or at least EPA) range then it will be awesome. Hell, even if it's just 40km of electric range it would be awesome.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I checked that and also the new 3 series PHEV will only have a battery with a range 20% superior to the old 7.6 kWh battery. Simple math puts the new 330e battery at 9.12 kWh.
So yeah, the range in the Renegade PHEV might be good. :)

If it's enough for 50km of real (or at least EPA) range then it will be awesome. Hell, even if it's just 40km of electric range it would be awesome.

BMW is using P2 PHEV architecture for their RWD models. It's not exactly the same as P4 PHEV as for some FWD based models with eWD.

To be more precise. Renegade's system will be P1P4 PHEV. I believe that more appropriate term would be a P0P4 PHEV because AFAIK front motor should be Front End Accessory Drive or in other words belt driven.

I would not say nothing about EPA cycle because I don't know much. But on WLTP it's realistically to expect around 50 km of electric range.

@KrisW

E-axle is most likely supplied by Bosch.

BobbiBigWheels

Reaction score
I really enjoy the Euro-centric knowledge that this site has.

North America is miles behind the rest of the world for economy, so as FCA brings new technologies to N.A. it's neat hearing about the first-hand experience some of our members have with Euro-FCA. Thanks for your contributions.

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
BMW is using P2 PHEV architecture for their RWD models. It's not exactly the same as P4 PHEV as for some FWD based models with eWD.

To be more precise. Renegade's system will be P1P4 PHEV. I believe that more appropriate term would be a P0P4 PHEV because AFAIK front motor should be Front End Accessory Drive or in other words belt driven.

I would not say nothing about EPA cycle because I don't know much. But on WLTP it's realistically to expect around 50 km of electric range.

@KrisW

E-axle is most likely supplied by Bosch.

I don't understand the difference between P2 and P4 very well. Granted I haven't had the time to read about the differences. I solely focused on battery capacities.
The WLTP cycle is very innacurate and not representative of real world driving conditions. The EPA cycle is spot on, so I don't care for 50km WLTP because that'll pobably translate to 30km EPA range.

Users who are viewing this thread