Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stellantis Ends Joint Venture With GAC Group For Chinese Jeep® Production!

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score

Stellantis Ends Joint Venture With GAC Group For Chinese Jeep® Production!​

Marks The End Of The Chinese-Exclusive Grand Commander...​

Grand Commander.jpg

Due to a lack of progress in the previously announced plan for Stellantis to take a majority share of the GAC-Stellantis joint venture, Stellantis today announced its plan to focus on distributing imported vehicles for the Jeep® brand in China to leverage the potential of the brand and its iconic products through an asset-light approach.

justbekuz1

Reaction score
WOW! Could someone tell us what this means: Stellantis today announced its plan to focus on distributing imported vehicles for the Jeep® brand in China to leverage the potential of the brand and its iconic products through an asset-light approach. What percentage of parts used for Jeeps there are China produced? With the past practices of China manufacturers, it wouldn't be out of the question for them to continue to assemble faux Jeeps with minor comestic changes. I wonder if the Commander will still be the next mini-Wagoneer Stateside?

cygnus

Reaction score
"I wonder if the Commander will still be the next mini-Wagoneer Stateside?"

It will not.

What a flop/misread of the market. Similar 'results' are forthcoming from Foxconn joint venture - ie, big nothing-burger.

If they're serious about China they would take the upcoming Chrysler EVs (stretch them a bit), rebrand them as 'Imperial' with each model having a distinct Chinese name, make different front/rear ends, IPs, and infotainment customizations. Since that takes talent and money, they won't do it.

Mike201

Reaction score
Seeing the U.S. Cherokee sales are tanking, maybe it is time to bring the 3 row Commander to the U.S. and rename it the Cherokee! Since the boost of sales in the similar Compass, Cherokee sales have tanked. The Cherokee needs new life. After looking at this Commander over the years, I would trade in my Cherokee in a heartbeat for this for the extra room and extra seats. Something needs to be done to save the Cherokee name, this would be a good fit. Something we can use in the line up, a smaller 3 row SUV.

TripleT

Reaction score
Like maybe the KM?

What the alternative for production? The Key issue here is that Chinese want a Jeep... like made in America Jeep. They have plenty of Chinese made CUVs including the Trumpchi.

AlexB

Reaction score
Like maybe the KM?

What the alternative for production? The Key issue here is that Chinese want a Jeep... like made in America Jeep. They have plenty of Chinese made CUVs including the Trumpchi.
FCA mistake was relaunching Jeep in China with the Cherokee.
But back then , the company didn’t have spare Grand Cherokee capacity to play with.

TripleT

Reaction score
FCA mistake was relaunching Jeep in China with the Cherokee.
But back then , the company didn’t have spare Grand Cherokee capacity to play with.
I know people there... They know difference between US made Jeeps and the Chinese made Jeep. Cars are damn expensive there even the Chinese sourced ones, a lot of it has to do with status. US build Jeep came with Status even a Compass, all off a sudden they are local sourced, and the status is diminished. They might tolerate Wagoneer or top end GC assembled in China but those vehicle have status on there own. A Me Too CUV was only going to get you so far, especially now that their economy is in the toilet while they figure out that the Virus genie is never going back in the bottle.

Users who are viewing this thread